Export thread

Homemade Exhaust System

M

mtcjayne

I would like to place a 3 HP gas engine in the back seat of my car. I want to route exhaust to the underside of the vehicle via opening a hole in the floor and ultimately to the rear like my car exhaust.

How can I protect my car interior and underside from hot exhaust pipes?

reynoldston

reynoldston

Doesn't everybody want to mount a 3 horse motor in the back seat of there car??? You can dream you are mowing the lawn while driving down the road. Now I mounted my 3 horse engine in the front seat which makes it a lot easer to start. :laughing: Now back in my earlier years I recall working on a knife sharpeners step van who had a small engine mounted in the van to run a grinder. He ran flex pipe under the van.

RhettWS

RhettWS

Is this a joke??? Why would anyone want to mount a small engine in the back seat of their car. :confused2: Inquiring minds want to know.

R

Rocky J

Doesn't everybody want to mount a 3 horse motor in the back seat of there car??? You can dream you are mowing the lawn while driving down the road. Now I mounted my 3 horse engine in the front seat which makes it a lot easer to start. :laughing: Now back in my earlier years I recall working on a knife sharpeners step van who had a small engine mounted in the van to run a grinder. He ran flex pipe under the van.

Mine is in the front seat because the wood stove is in the back seat and yes it is easier to start up there. I hope he will take this in the humor we intended it in, because he does have my interest, It has to be a generator to charge batteries or something. I would think flex pipe with fiberglass insulation wrap inside the car and under just clamp it to the exhaust that is there and doesn't cause a problem.

M

mtcjayne

Is this a joke??? Why would anyone want to mount a small engine in the back seat of their car. :confused2: Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey RhettWS. I have a belt driven air pump I'd like to use with the engine- while the car is parked of course.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Hey RhettWS. I have a belt driven air pump I'd like to use with the engine- while the car is parked of course.

So what kind of car are you using this in and what do you need a air pump for ? I will take a guess that it's for compressed air. Yes I did take this post as humor because this is more of a mower forum.

M

mtcjayne

So what kind of car are you using this in and what do you need a air pump for ? I will take a guess that it's for compressed air. Yes I did take this post as humor because this is more of a mower forum.

This is for a Chevrolet Impala, and I need the air pump for my tools. I used to use an electric one but it has reached the end of its life. The tools will sit in my car anyway, so I figured I'd give it a shot. There are no passenger seats in this car.

Oh and I understand this is a lawnmower forum. I hoped it was a good place to discuss exhaust design for small engines if I kept it a little bit applicable to riding mowers too.

RhettWS

RhettWS

Gotcha,

So its is a portable shop so to speak. Thought you were up to no good!!!:laughing: Maybe hooking it up to a chipper like in the movie Fargo. Sounds like a job for a sawzall and other fun tools. Be sure to take pictures and post with your progress. This should be interesting.

Heat shielding is available on the web. I plan to build a heat shield for my mower and I was looking into this stuff to reflect the radiant heat away from the engine block. You will still get have a pretty high level of heat from the engine block itself so make sure to mount it with plenty of space on all sides.

reynoldston

reynoldston

They also make a exhaust wrap for motorcycles.

P

Pumper54

Sounds like you are building a gas powered air compressor, why don't you just remove it from your vehicle and then run it? Much easier and safer then trying to mount it inside the car. Tube inside tube with an airspace around the exhaust will go a long way to keeping the outer pipe cooler.
Tom

M

mtcjayne

Sounds like you are building a gas powered air compressor, why don't you just remove it from your vehicle and then run it?

This is 100% an option. As the pump is belt driven it may be less convenient than dragging a hose or lifting a small tank so I do want to experiment with this first. I will have all the engine and pump components Monday and will get back to folks with my initial feelings also.

S

SeniorCitizen

Oh and I understand this is a lawnmower forum. I hoped it was a good place to discuss exhaust design for small engines if I kept it a little bit applicable to riding mowers too.
You doing just fine with your question. Much better than the economics of different pricing of mowers.

Early washing machines had gas engines on the porch with flex steel exhaust pipe running out the screen door.

reynoldston

reynoldston

You doing just fine with your question.

So you also run a small engine in the back seat of your car. I got mine in the front seat so its easier to start and I carry my fire wood in the rear seat. You ever watch the movie Tobacco Road? :biggrin:

S

SeniorCitizen

From what I've seen of this site, long time members better give some positive comments to new members rather than criticizing. It seems as though this site needs all the new members it can attract.

P

Pumper54

This is 100% an option. As the pump is belt driven it may be less convenient than dragging a hose or lifting a small tank so I do want to experiment with this first. I will have all the engine and pump components Monday and will get back to folks with my initial feelings also.

If it was me and I had to go this route I might look at a small hand truck (dollie) to mount all the components on. That way it would be on wheels and you could drag it around the work site. Look at the way the commercial gas powered compressors are set up to get ideas.

Tom

reynoldston

reynoldston

From what I've seen of this site, long time members better give some positive comments to new members rather than criticizing. It seems as though this site needs all the new members it can attract.

Its more to you not the op. When I read the first post I though it was a joke you are the one that is carrying it on. My later post I was giving suggestions, so keep it coming I am up for some fun:thumbsup:

S

SeniorCitizen

Take the OP's reply to you any way you like. He did not like your answer believe it or not.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Take the OP's reply to you any way you like. He did not like your answer believe it or not.

The OP should of given more information on his first post. Its not him that's up set its you. Doesn't everybody run a small engine in the back seat of there car, I thought it was normal. Come on you have watched the movie Tobacco Road if you are a old timer like me. Now if you do read my past post I was giving him information when I knew what he was doing. This being a lawn mower forum just how many people install there own car exhaust system, I bet very few others then you and me. I have only ever seen it on motorhomes and a step van that runs a extra small engine. I know very little about the OP and his skills and equipment to run a custom exhaust system under his car.