Help with Huskee Log Splitter

mahnoo51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a roughly 30 year old 34 ton Huskee Log Splitter. Origional engine which was a 10hp B&S Insustrial/commercial vertical shaft blew about 12 years ago. Took to a repair place which switched it out with an old 11hp (not industrial) model that has always been unsatisfactory, it has been ok but is tired. I would like to find out what model the origional engine was so I can look for a proper newer model. If anybody has the same Huskee Log Splitter (model 21-53508) I would appreciate if you can give me some info regarding the origional engine that was on this model. Thanks in advance for your help.

mahnoo51

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Huskee splitter is a 34 ton, not a 35. My Model # is 21-53508). Also the origional B&S engine was a 10hp I/C vertical shaft so I don't know if what you suggest is the one I'm looking for. Do you think you can help me find what would have been my origional one?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1684798522492.png.

mahnoo51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great 😊. Please let me know what the model number of the motor is on that one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well info on this SpeedCo Log Splitter is basically none exist and SpeedCo is premamently closed. It looks like a Briggs 21R8 series is going to be you best option but need to verify crankshaft diameter as the 21R8 series have an one inch PTO end. This engine a 11.5 hp gross engine. And come with and without a muffler and no gas tank.

The 21R807-0072-G1 is the current Promo which is the best priced engine and it does come with a muffler. PTO is 1 x 3-5/32 so might need to be shorten depending the current pump setup.

mahnoo51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. Knew the companies were gone so I expected this was going to be a real problem. Trouble is, the actual splitter is amazing so it just doesn't make sense to buy a whole new one because of the bad motor.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I know...It just you going have spec out the current engine and find something that can replace it. Luckily the mounting patterns are fairly unchanged over the years. I have re-powered several log splitters here. One with vertical shaft had to be rotated 90 degrees from the previous engine setup. This made changing the engine oil a problem if I didn't a vacuum oil extractor. A couple where horizontal shaft setups that the crankshafts had to be shorten.

And if the pump coupler is a Love Joy setup then putting a different engine is easier as you can get different size coupler components.

mahnoo51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wish I was more mechanically inclined tho, unsure if I can retrofit this thing!