HELP !! My 1st ZTR

Tascosa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

Just joined today. I have been reading posts for about 2 weeks now and find most of them very helpful. I have looked at several brands and models. After we moved into our current home and I started mowing approx. 2.5 acres of mostly dry and hard ground, it did not take long to destroy my Craftsman lawn tractor. I have been looking at 52-54 inch models. The Bad Boy line was recommended and discovered that Tractor Supply was the dealer here. They only carry the ZT Elite 60 inch and the lighter MZ line. I have located another dealer that does have the ZT Elite. They quoted me $5,249 out the door. One concern I have is the electric deck adjustment. Has anyone heard of issues with that? It just seems like it might not be a great idea. I also found a Dixon Ultra 52 here locally for $5,300. It has the ZT3400 Hydros which I like but it has the Kohler Courage Pro SV830 25 hp. Not sure from reading all the posts if Kohler has worked out their issues with this motor or not. The guy that will probably be doing the service for whatever mower I do buy says he likes the Kohlers because of the valves not needing adjustment. I also looked at the Hustlers. I can buy the Raptor SD 54 with the Kawi FR691 23 HP for about $4,300. This mower does not seem quite as heavy duty as the others. I am still trying to find a dealer close to here that has the Husquvarna MZ52 that I can look at. I have viewed them online and can have a MZ52LE with the 23 hp Kawasaki delivered to me for $4,524. This seems like a good deal but would like to see it first. With all this said, I am just another semi-informed shopper. And truth be known, if it does not rain around here soon, I won't need a mower at all. Maybe you guys can give me your opinions on ZT3100 vs ZT3400 hydros and cast iron vs aluminum spindles. The Bad boy folks say they have a commercial grade, sealed, self lubricating spindle that they claim is the best in the business. Seems to me a cast iron spindle with a grease zert would be hard to beat, but I am no expert.

Thanks for letting me ramble and I appreciate your opinions.

ken helton

Threads
I have a badboy magnum I just turned over 7 hrs so far I'm impressed I chose it over the hustler raptor and the cub under 3000$ mower I'm kinda worried about service if it tears up dunno how tsc will handle it I had a l110 john deere for 12 yrs with minor repairs hope the badboy does that good it looks to be built really good. Hope this helps

Tascosa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a badboy magnum I just turned over 7 hrs so far I'm impressed I chose it over the hustler raptor and the cub under 3000$ mower I'm kinda worried about service if it tears up dunno how tsc will handle it I had a l110 john deere for 12 yrs with minor repairs hope the badboy does that good it looks to be built really good. Hope this helps

Our Tractor supply does NOT provide service but there is a good shop here that will service them and they really recommend the Bad Boys. Good luck with yours.

Jasonlong7373

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a mz52 le and I am a part time commercial guy. It is a second mower that gets used quite frequently. I had some concerns at 1st because the materials used for construction seemed a little on the light side compared to what I am used to. It seems (the more time I spend with it) that the thought and technology in the build itself is pretty nice though. They use lighter materials with good construction and it works. It cuts GREAT. My only complaint is that it just doesn't have really great traction. It spins out or looses traction easily (compared to my John Deere mowers). Where my John Deere just stops and reverses or changes direction quickly, the husky requires more thought. I have to come to a full stop slowly, then almost pause, then reverse. Same for hills. I absolutely cannot negotiate the same hills that I can with my other mowers. I am getting used to it but it's not typical for me to have to get used to a mower like this. The more I use it, the less concerns that I have and the more I like it though, and I do like it. Oh....almost forgot. It stripes without a striping kit. Like REALLY stripes! I really am impressed with the cut. If anybody actually reads my post and ask, I will try to figure out how to post pictures of a yard that only this mower is used on so you can see the stripes for yourself. Outside of buying used and taking your chances, I'd put it up against any under $4500 mower out there. Just my opinion.