Export thread

Help me decide on new zt mower

R

Radiantpc

Looking to buy a new zt mower. Currently have an old Dixon from the 90s that I'm going to sell. Figure anything will be an upgrade from it. I have less than an acre, fairly flat, slight slope. I've been looking at a 42 hustler, gravely z 42" and a Husqvarna z246 with kawi fr engine. The others have a kholer 7000 pro I think. Which is best? The Husqvarna and hustler are around same price of 2500. The gravely is $2900 out the door but has .5 hrs on it and was taken to trade shows. All 2016 models. Help me decide. Thanks!

BlazNT

BlazNT

At that price point the Husqvarna has the most bang for you buck.

R

Radiantpc

At that price point the Husqvarna has the most bang for you buck.

I'm also leaning towards the ariens ikon x for 2800 out the door.

BlazNT

BlazNT

OK so the difference between the Ariens and the Husqvarna. Kohler vrs Kaw 10 gauge Fabricated vrs 13 gauge Reinforced Stamped. I personally like a stamped decks cut better but to each his own.

2800 vrs 2500. Now you get to choose the winner.

R

Radiantpc

OK so the difference between the Ariens and the Husqvarna. Kohler vrs Kaw 10 gauge Fabricated vrs 13 gauge Reinforced Stamped. I personally like a stamped decks cut better but to each his own.

2800 vrs 2500. Now you get to choose the winner.

I've never heard that before. I've just heard the welded decks are stronger. The ariens has a much nicer seat from the looks of it.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Welded decks on commercial decks are stronger. I have seen welded decks bend on residential mowers. My Husqvarna deck has never bent and I have hit fence post running full speed. Almost knocked me off the mower. Running speed on my mower is about 9 miles an hour checked by GPS on phone.

Carscw

Carscw

I also like the stamped deck. Gives a better cut.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

I will only buy a mower if it has fab welded deck.

R

Radiantpc

I also like the stamped deck. Gives a better cut.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

hmm never heard this. What is the reasoning behind cut performance based on the type of deck?

BlazNT

BlazNT

hmm never heard this. What is the reasoning behind cut performance based on the type of deck?

It is designed with the blades to create lift to cut the grass. Just think that they could stamp out any shape needed including flat like a fabbed deck but they choose to make it humped and such to get good air flow so grass can be picked up and moved efficiently through the deck.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

A few fab decks have adjustable baffles.To better improve airflow.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Yes they do.

Like I said before to each his own. I like my yard to look like a carpet when I get done mowing so I went with the stamped deck on the Husqvarna and it has not let me down yet. Even my neighbor across the street (she had me mow it when she was hurt) said "How does a big mower make for such a perfect cut?"

I have mowed with a few friends on commercial jobs and we can not mow on the same part of the grass because mine looks so much better with side by side mowing. Hustler, Cub Cadet, and Dixie Chopper

R

Radiantpc

Yes they do.

Like I said before to each his own. I like my yard to look like a carpet when I get done mowing so I went with the stamped deck on the Husqvarna and it has not let me down yet. Even my neighbor across the street (she had me mow it when she was hurt) said "How does a big mower make for such a perfect cut?"

I have mowed with a few friends on commercial jobs and we can not mow on the same part of the grass because mine looks so much better with side by side mowing. Hustler, Cub Cadet, and Dixie Chopper

How's the seat comfort on the Husqvarna z246?

BlazNT

BlazNT

Most in this price range have very little comfort but I can tell you on my RZ5424 I have mowed for over 3 hours and been able to walk after.

R

Radiantpc

Most in this price range have very little comfort but I can tell you on my RZ5424 I have mowed for over 3 hours and been able to walk after.

I sat on the gravely ztx42 and it looks like the ariens ikon x is the same thing. That seat seemed super comfy compared to a raptor for example.

BlazNT

BlazNT

High back seat gives more comfort but the springs are what ware you out not the seat unless it an expensive seat. Like $1000 seat

BlazNT

BlazNT

Gravely and Ariens are the same.

R

Radiantpc

Gravely and Ariens are the same.
So for the price $2675 for Husqvarna z246 $2800 for ariens ikon x42 and $2900 for gravely ztx 42. Still picking the Husqvarna? Think it's a 2016 and others are 2017.

BlazNT

BlazNT

At the price range the only real difference is the deck and how they are built. I like how Husqvarna build stuff so yes Husqvarna. You will not be hurt buying any one of the mowers you have picked out. It is more about personal choice now. No I do not alway chose Husqvarna just when it makes more sinse I do.

T

TXDDAVIS

do your self a favor and look at the Kubota line of ZT. we bought ours for city contracts and ride them hard. all have performed great with no problems. I love mine

mhavanti

mhavanti

My Hustler Raptor makes every yard I've cut appear as though it is a cut pile carpet. Smooth as glass with a fabricated deck, best seat and a Kawi that likes to work.

R

Radiantpc

I do like the triple blade Fab decks on the gravely and ariens. What a tough decision. Appreciate all the feedback

C

cruzenmike

I do like the triple blade Fab decks on the gravely and ariens. What a tough decision. Appreciate all the feedback

I am in a struggle to choose a new mower right now and the Ariens Ikon X is my zero turn of choice. Starting April 1st, 5 year warranty on the Ikon X if you register with Ariens before the end of the month. I was looking at the 52" personally. $2999 with a Kawasaki Engine, that wonderful seat and the warranty to boot. The only things that I have found to not like is the offset deck on the 52" and the fact that the front and rear tires are no narrow. I have some very wet ground so I can only imagine the ruts I am going to get if I purchase this mower. I cross-shopped that to the Hustler Raptor Limited and those wider tires alone make the machine look stout. The only thing that pushed me away from the raptor was the rather slow blade tip speed and the price ($500 more). For me right now, I just need to convince myself that I actually don't need a garden tractor; which is proving to be quite hard.n Good luck with your search!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mike,

I did my first cut of the year today with my Raptor SD. I can tell you that the tip speed is way past supersonic and although the grass wasn't completely greened out and much more dry (dormant) grass involved which is harder to cut, it again made the yard look smooth as a newborn babies butt and the wider tires, better seat and electronics is well worth the 500 bucks.

But then, you have to be happy with your purchase, thus, I say purchase what you think will make you happy.

Good luck!

Max