Export thread

help dyt 4000

D

denthefish

Hi new here --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again -- I can let it idle all day - no issues - I replaced the head gasket --- maybe I adjusted the valves wrong -- HELP ! once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine

reynoldston

reynoldston

Hi new here --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again -- I can let it idle all day - no issues - I replaced the head gasket --- maybe I adjusted the valves wrong -- HELP ! once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine

A engine model number would help. Yes tight valves would cause this to happen. You might want to do a leak-down test.

D

denthefish

31P777-0348-E1

B

bertsmobile1

Start the engine then run it for a shot while then turn it off.
After the engine has stopped turning, remove the oil filler cap.
If it smokes the heqad gasket has blown, a very common problem with Inteks.

D

denthefish

No smoke - I just replaced the head gasket a few ago

reynoldston

reynoldston

Why did you change the head gasket. When you changed the head gasket did you repair the reason the old gasket went bad?

D

denthefish

Why did you change the head gasket. When you changed the head gasket did you repair the reason the old gasket went bad?

When I replaced the head gasket - it was not blown it was fine but i put the new one on --- I thought the smoking issue was the head gasket - I have a troy bilt tractor and every 3 years the gasket will blow out and need replaced (design flaw)

reynoldston

reynoldston

As I understand you have a heat related problem and the head gasket is installed proper. Lets start from there. First as you suggested valve adjustment. The heat will expand a tight valve to the point it will not seal proper. The next thing is a bad ignition module (coil). Are the engine cooling fins free and clear, no mice nest or grass plugging them.

D

denthefish

Thanks --- not overheating -- runs for ten minutes cutting grass then it happens

then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again within seconds

Trying to restart it - it will just crank and crank and not start ---- let it sit for 1/2 hour - starts right up and will run for another 10 minutes

The valve adjust was on the high side .006 - no nests

reynoldston

reynoldston

-- HELP ! once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine

This is what you said? Are you getting a good fuel flow? Plugged fuel vent, all good clean filters, air and fuel. Spark, fuel, compression, and timing and it will run.

M

motoman

When hottest immediately pull a plug and test for spark. A failed ignition module will work at cold, fail at hot. What are your compression readings, especially before and after gasket replacement and cylinder vs cylinder.

D

denthefish

Well guess what I fixed part of the issue -- new carb --- adjusted the valves again !!!! --- starts and runs great ---- cut the middle 40 acres 3 times - no issues - just put in a new ignition switch - now the darn thing will not shut off in the off position %&*(&^%%$#$#@

B

bertsmobile1

That will be the ground wire on the coil fallen off or no ground connection to the ignition switch.
On many switches the ground is a stand alone terminal and not on the plug.

If the engine has fuel solenoid that should also cause the engine to shut down from lack of fuel.
Because I am a belts & braces man I like to fit a fuel valve on the fuel line.