Heavily worn pushrod.... bad guide plate?

tley

Forum Newbie
Threads
20 hp briggs intec gold (31c707)
During a tear down of my motor to replace a cam, I discovered the aluminum pushrod (intake side) was worn A LOT about an inch from the end. I am guessing the push rod is wearing against the guide plate? Do guide plates go bad? or do I have another issue that needs to be addressed? thanks for any input?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As long as the plastic protector plates are in good shape on the guide plate it should be fine. What you are seeing is very common on the single cylinder engines with several hours on them. I have even seen them come into the shop with the rod worn in two. You can replace the aluminum rod with a steel one like used on the other valve if you want. They are the same length.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx from engine data plate. I suggest you purchase a repair manual for your engine, very detailed with all the information you'll need to inspect & make repair, thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tley had it right.
Just done a Murry 17 Hp intek did exactly what he said replaced the alloy one with a steel one then turned the steel one around so it is rubbing on the other end.
On Inteks whenever I need to adjust the tappets I invert the push rods if the wear has reduced the diameter more than .030" they get replaced.
Another case of built to a cost.

Running low on oil or old oil will make it worse as bits of crud get stuck in the plastic guide and turn it ito a grinding plate.
If it worries you replace them they are not expensive, however they will either fall out or fight you to the death.
I run a tap down the guts of them then use a long bolt through a thick steel plate to pull stubborn ones out.
Just watch out you dont dent the rocker cover sealing face.

tley

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks guys.

Mark: 31C707-0175E1-020920ZE. I do own the manual and it has been very helpful; used it to re-ring the motor 2 years ago.

As far as replacing the aluminum rod with a steel one... is there any draw back to that? I have read everything from that it was done to reduce cost to that it actually serves a purpose. The cost argument never made sense to me as the aluminum rod is actually more expensive.
If there is no down fall I will probably replace it with the steel... saves me a couple dollars :)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The aluminum push rod has to do with the expansion level of the valve, But by switching to the steel rod you will never notice the difference.

tley

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, thanks

Tinkerer200

Threads
B&S always puts an aluminum push rod on the valve involved in compression release. Others have mentioned using a steel one in place. I have never done it but might. I do reverse the aluminum push rod when adjusting valves, they just naturally wear on the rub block.

Walt Conner