Hard starting wood chipper

park4019

Threads
I have a Troy Bilt CS4325 chipper/ shredder. To say it starts hard, is an understatement. The only controls, are a choke lever, & a slide, throttle adjustment. As per the instructions; choke, pull 1-3 times. If it doesn't start, open choke & try again. Pulled it 18-20 times, didn't start. Tried this 4-5 times, over 1/2 hr span. Called Lowes. Took it back , & exchanged for another, new, one. The replacement was just as hard, to pull start. I realize, I'm turning a heavy flywheel, but this is ridiculous. Took 8-10 attempts, before it finally started. No complaints, when it runs; its a bear. When you shut down, to add gas & check the oil, it' won't restart. Have to wait 1/2 hour some times before it will restart. I realize, its still under warranty. I can't talk to the repair service, to explain the problem. The first one started right up for the people at Lowes, & I'm afraid this one will do the same. They will think I'm crazy.

Thanks; park4019

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only thing I can think of is you aren't pulling hard enough?? If it starts OK for Lowes and not you. You might see if they have a electric start model.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which engine do you have Honda or MTD and manufacturer of MTD engine?

Post B&S engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx. I will say even though it is new valves are out of adjustment. Compression release on camshaft will not operate properly if valves are too loose.

Last edited:

park4019

Threads
The only thing I can think of is you aren't pulling hard enough?? If it starts OK for Lowes and not you. You might see if they have a electric start model.

Sorry to say no electric start available. Have had several other people, try to pull start it, to no avail. Going to change the spark plug, although the one in the engine looks fine. Its only had approx. 3-4 hrs run time. If that doesn't work, will add gasoline to the cyl.

Thanks, park4019

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing you bought it from Lowes can you give it back to them. Then buy one from a dealer who can help you. Seeing it new it should start easy. Try a can of starting fluid.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like it just needs adjustment, put up the engine's model/type numbers....

park4019

Threads
Sounds like it just needs adjustment, put up the engine's model/type numbers....

1150 Series B&S.

Numbers on the valve cover : 130 709 88
15T202 09 15 F8 With these numbers, I able to find a users manual, on the B&S web site.

Thanks for the help, park4019.

park4019

Threads
Seeing you bought it from Lowes can you give it back to them. Then buy one from a dealer who can help you. Seeing it new it should start easy. Try a can of starting fluid.

This is the second one, from Lowes. Acts just like the original; pulls hard, because your turning the heavy flywheel, with the shredder attachments. I've tried pulling, as many as 18-20 times, with no results. At times it will start, after 2-3 attempts. When running, it surely does the job. When I shut it down to refuel & check the oil, it won't restart. Have to wait, sometimes for 1/2 hr. After purchase, I started reading reviews on the Lowes site. One of the problems, is the hard starting & havi9ng to wait for a restart. My next step, is the starting fluid.

Thanks for your help.
park4019

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is the second one, from Lowes. Acts just like the original; pulls hard, because your turning the heavy flywheel, with the shredder attachments. I've tried pulling, as many as 18-20 times, with no results. At times it will start, after 2-3 attempts. When running, it surely does the job. When I shut it down to refuel & check the oil, it won't restart. Have to wait, sometimes for 1/2 hr. After purchase, I started reading reviews on the Lowes site. One of the problems, is the hard starting & havi9ng to wait for a restart. My next step, is the starting fluid.

Thanks for your help.
park4019

On my first post I asked about pulling over the engine. If the engine isn't turning over fast enough you wouldn't get spark. You say it pulls over hard. A can of starting fluid is cheap and I hope it works for you, all you should need is a little starting fluid pass the air cleaner. If you aren't getting spark it still wouldn't start. You can buy a tester for testing spark from most auto parts for less then 5 dollars. If the starting fluid doesn't work for you I say buy a spark tester and see if that is your problem. It just sounds like a poor design to me and I sure don't have a very good answer for you. So good luck with the starting fluid. :frown: