Export thread

Grasshopper Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Grasshopper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Grasshopper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Grasshopper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

V

vpistrit

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a member for a few months but have not paid much attention to this forum until now. I bought a used grasshopper model (612) a few yeas ago after being frustrated with the "Lowes special riding mowers". It was the best thing I ever did to make mowing of my 1 acre property easier. It's now FUN to cut the grass. :biggrin:

I had never experineced a zero turn mower and was impressed on how simple it is to use. I'd like to use is for all my yard chores. However, I have had trouble finding attachments for this model 612, as I discovered that the manufacturer has discontinued it. Does anyone have any suggestions for locating attachments for this unit? Specifically leaf-grass bagger / mulch attachment.

Thanks.

173abn

173abn

vpistrit,have you tried craigslist? In my area I see attachments from time to time for grasshoppers russ

Z

zsqure

Check that big auction site, what attachments are you interested in?

Z

zsqure

Hi I'm not new to Grasshoppers, as we had them in the 80's when i was in h.s. and college and always wanted one of my own. I resisted the urge to get a walker because I always saw lots of walkers at the repair shop over the weekend (an awful lot of oil changes going on). Happy with my 720k, the only thing better would be one with the Kubota gas or diesel, gemini drive and flip deck. I need to learn as much as possible about the hydros cause they r quite expensive to replace.

M

michics

Hi to All,

I'm new to this site, however been cutting grass for over 40 years. Currently have a Grasshopper 124 w/ 48" ZTR. Bought it used last year with just 100 hrs. Been trouble free so far. Been thinking of doing a few lawns in retirement so this was a purchase towards that goal.

Mike

G

geoff

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Grasshopper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Grasshopper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Grasshopper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Hello Fellow mowers... looking forward to sharing ideas and resolving problems. I have a Simplicity Mower but just purchased a used Grasshopper 721D and Dixon Zero turns mowers... hoping to get some information on these models... Thanks

Geoff

J

josh46970

Hi, I'm new to this forum just about 5 minutes now. I have a 1986 Grasshopper Model 1820 that I took off my friends hands last summer. I love working on mechanical things and well this mower is definitly a "THING". Just like cars, this mower is extremely simple to work on due to it's age. But just like cars all these little things are leading up to a pretty costly hobby. I rewired the entire mower and went through the motor last summer. I ended up mowing in the fall with it until the deck decided to fall apart on me. I put it in the shed for the winter and decided to pull it out this spring and started looking for a deck for it. The Grasshopper dealer wanted $1200 just for a blank 61" deck, nothing else. I laughed at them and said the mower isn't worth $400. So I started looking online and found a 44" deck and got the "THING" running again. I'm wanting to strip it down and either powder coat everything or just paint everything. I'm just afraid I'm going to get it all cleaned up and the hydro's will go out. Is it true they are not rebuildable? I just can't believe they are not rebuildable. I would like to find some more attachments for it before I get it painted like a vac system and a dozer blade.

B

bufford

I have never ridden on a mower that is not a Grasshopper. Drove my fathers mowers early on. The first was an old mint green machine of a vintage I can't remember then an 1822 during most of my youth. I bought my own first Grasshopper a 1996 718 2 years before I had a lawn to mow with it (I let my father use it in the mean time). When I did get a house I put a snowblower on it. I just sold that machine and bought a 1999 721D2 with a grass catcher, snowblower and a winter enclosure. Love the Brown and Tan.

K

KennyV

... I just sold that machine and bought a 1999 721D2 with a grass catcher, snowblower and a winter enclosure. Love the Brown and Tan.

Got to Love a Diesel powered mower..... :smile:KennyV

M

mowin4dodge

been in business for 15 years. lawn care & snow removal. If we have another summer and winter like this last year in Illinois I doubt I will make it to year 16. Then the cost of diesel fuel etc and the low ballers makes things just that much worse. but I hope I can get and extend help to members here.

N

negcash

just found your site, think forums like this are great. I bought a new 722D in 2009 to use on our Christmas Tree farm in north east Ohio and have well over 1500 hours on it by now. Once you get on you just want to keep on going. I found your site while looking for an electric power fold actuator for the 61" deck, any help out there?

M

michics

This year is off to a early start for you. Everyone's mowing a full month early. How are the lowballers hurting you ?

Can you reduce overhead ? The lowballers have very little overhead, that's why they can do the jobs at a lower rate.

This is the way business works.

S

Steve_F

I have a 1994 Grasshopper 725 that I bought in 1997. My son and I mow 20 acres in three locations weekly. Most of the ground is pretty rough. The machine has taken a lot, but I just recently replaced its original deck with a 2003 one in MUCH better shape. The old one was no longer a stable platform for the spindles and blades. I just read an article on your site where mowmow fabricated a replacement deck part for the same one that was so distorted and corroded on mine that I was motivated to replace the entire deck. Oh, well, my route was easier, although more expensive.

Steve

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I have a 1994 Grasshopper 725 that I bought in 1997. My son and I mow 20 acres in three locations weekly. Most of the ground is pretty rough. The machine has taken a lot, but I just recently replaced its original deck with a 2003 one in MUCH better shape. The old one was no longer a stable platform for the spindles and blades. I just read an article on your site where mowmow fabricated a replacement deck part for the same one that was so distorted and corroded on mine that I was motivated to replace the entire deck. Oh, well, my route was easier, although more expensive.

Steve

:welcome: to LMF, you have a good mower!

NoNotOne

NoNotOne

Very informative forum. Thanks to those who maintain LMF. My first ZTR (hopefully long lasting) is a Grasshopper 325D w/61" deck. Grammar air ride seat, halogen headlights, bar tires, powervac collection system. I truly enjoy the diesel performance and fuel squeezing performance. I find the OEM parts/filters best for my maintenance program and Rotella T6 synthetic oil.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Very informative forum. Thanks to those who maintain LMF. My first ZTR (hopefully long lasting) is a Grasshopper 325D w/61" deck. Grammar air ride seat, halogen headlights, bar tires, powervac collection system. I truly enjoy the diesel performance and fuel squeezing performance. I find the OEM parts/filters best for my maintenance program and Rotella T6 synthetic oil.

:welcome: to LMF! :smile: Could you post some more pics of your ZTR? I would love to see them....it looks like an awesome mower! :thumbsup:

AmericanTurf

Hello all, I found this app on my iPhone. So far I like, but can't seem to save pictures I tried to upload.
I been cutting lawns for ten years. On January 1 2012 I started my first LLC.
My favorite thing about it all is my brand spanking new 2012 model 725D GRASSHOPPER with vac. Hostely I would not have gone into business without it.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello all, I found this app on my iPhone. So far I like, but can't seem to save pictures I tried to upload.
I been cutting lawns for ten years. On January 1 2012 I started my first LLC.
My favorite thing about it all is my brand spanking new 2012 model 725D GRASSHOPPER with vac. Hostely I would not have gone into business without it.

WELCOME TO LMF!
That is a REALLY nice mower!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I rotated your picture so people don't have to tilt their heads to see it! :wink:
grasshopper.jpg
I hope to hear what you have to say on many interesting topics here on LawnMowerForum!
:welcome:

173abn

173abn

nice machine AmericanTurf,is that lever that sticks up the way you adjust deck height?Looks like how my older 928d works as far as adjusting deck height.whats the black bar on the front of the deck for? by the way welcome to lmf...russ

AmericanTurf

WELCOME TO LMF!
That is a REALLY nice mower!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I rotated your picture so people don't have to tilt their heads to see it! :wink:
View attachment 10525
I hope to hear what you have to say on many interesting topics here on LawnMowerForum!
:welcome:

thanks for the rotating the picture. haha

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

thanks for the rotating the picture. haha

No problem! :wink:

AmericanTurf

nice machine AmericanTurf,is that lever that sticks up the way you adjust deck height?Looks like how my older 928d works as far as adjusting deck height.whats the black bar on the front of the deck for? by the way welcome to lmf...russ

thanks russ. the lever that sticks up is indeed the deck height adjuster. I love it. the black bar in front is for my dethatcher attachment.

E

EZZ

new to site not 5 min. ago

just stumbeled on yr site by accident & am sure glad i did ....recently accuired a woods/grasshopper # 1820 w/52" deck and a 18 hp(iron sleeve motor !!
havent been able too find much info on them so-far !? its in remarkably good shape for the yr (?mid 80s) & am curently wonderin about what they are worth yet today ?? any main issues they had ?? etc. any info would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!! thank you very much !

G

groundskeeperllc

Just came across this site and saw there was a Grasshopper forum. I have a lawn business here in Southwest Louisiana and I have been running Grasshoppers since 2006. My current fleet is:
'09 329B 61" with 1700+hours
'11 729B 52" with power vac collection system with 650+ hours
'04 322D 61" with 3200+ hours (actually just bought this a week ago and is in shop getting a new deck shell, some idiot removed the baffles)

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Just came across this site and saw there was a Grasshopper forum. I have a lawn business here in Southwest Louisiana and I have been running Grasshoppers since 2006. My current fleet is:
'09 329B 61" with 1700+hours
'11 729B 52" with power vac collection system with 650+ hours
'04 322D 61" with 3200+ hours (actually just bought this a week ago and is in shop getting a new deck shell, some idiot removed the baffles)

You have some nice equipment! :thumbsup: We would love to see some pictures of them if you have any! And welcome to the forums at LawnWorld! :welcome:

M

MReeter

Big hello to all, I'm new here, but have been a member of TBN since 2000. Just received our new 930D/72" along with the Grammer seat:thumbsup:

Mowing a little over seven acres of personal property in comfort:smile: Love the mower so far, the 3472 deck is doing an outstanding job on our Turf Fescue. I need to make a few adjustments to the deck for a little better stripe, other than that I'm very pleased with the machine.

I've been a diehard Kubota fan for years, I wouldn't have considered a Grasshopper if they didn't offer the Kubota powerplant, I'm glad they do!

Have a great Summer:cool:

K

KennyV

...Just received our new 930D/72" along with the Grammer seat:thumbsup:

I've been a diehard Kubota fan for years, I wouldn't have considered a Grasshopper if they didn't offer the Kubota powerplant, I'm glad they do!

WELCOME to these Forums...
That is a great mower & I'm with you on Kubota Diesel Engines, they are a couple notches Above Great...
And while we are looking at Great... TBN certainly is, glad you came over from a good spot to join us... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

WELCOME to these Forums....

There are folks out there that think their 'mod; is going to revolutionize mowing, In reality removing the baffles just destroys the way a grooming, finish mower works... :smile:KennyV

M

MReeter

That is a great mower & I'm with you on Kubota Diesel Engines, they are a couple notches Above Great...
And while we are looking at Great... TBN certainly is, glad you came over from a good spot to join us... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for the welcome KennyV, the grass has finally started to grow here in the Midwest, after such a wet, cold Spring. I will probably have to mow again today:tongue:

Cheers, Mike

S

SPE

Hey guys. Just got my first Hopper. Its a 1991 721D with 61" deck. a very early model with a little rough deck. I need several very expensive parts for the left side drive. Anyone have any used parts laying around they might be willing to part with for a decent price? Also, I have looked high and low for a service manual for this and am very disappointed to not be able to find a single manual for ANY hopper mower. I have found some manuals for mowers that are far more obscure than the grasshoppers. What gives? I admit I am a tidwad and really don't want to pay for a manual if I can find a PDF version (my preference).

G

ghper

Have had two Grasshoppers, both with rear discharge decks. The first was a gas with a 61" rear discharge so loud you could go deaf before you were done mowing. The present is a diesel with the new design rear discharge. Wisper quiet compared to #1 and doesn't leave a streak in heavy tall grass, and layes the clippings evenly with no windrows. We mow about 7 acres. The fuel efficiency is way better with the diesel. By the way I too am new to the forum.

K

KennyV

Have had two Grasshoppers, both with rear discharge decks. The first was a gas
The present is a diesel ...
... We mow about 7 acres. The fuel efficiency is way better with the diesel.

WELCOME to these Forums....

There is Nothing like DIESEL when it comes to work... VERY fuel efficient... :smile:KennyV

O

Old Trackster

Hello, older 721D owner checking in. Machine has been awesome but is starting to nickel and dime me, er uh 20 and 50 me.

H

hootie

Hello, Have a 2003, 928D I purchased used about 4 years ago. I've had a few problems but overall it's been a good mower. I live in Michigan and use it to mow about five acres. I hope through this forum to learn enough to keep it going for many more years.

Hootie

B

bkc23

Short time reader , 1st time poster. I'm impressed with this forum and all the people just helping one another.
I have A 2002 GH220 .

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Short time reader , 1st time poster. I'm impressed with this forum and all the people just helping one another.
I have A 2002 GH220 .

:welcome: Welcome to the forum....nice mower! :thumbsup:

H

hoosier64

Hi all,

I just bought a used Grasshopper 720 K because I came home after vacation to find my right hydro pump had quit on my Country Clipper Charger zero turn mower and I didn't have time to get it fixed before my 6 acre jungle of a yard closed in on me. I will repair the Country Clipper because I love it, it is a single joystick model which I really like. I have mowed once so far with the Grasshopper and I really like it as well. It actually rides nicer and makes a nicer cut, it also runs quieter. I did however have problems with a cylinder dropping out off and on but it never died so I'm going to search the forum here to see what i can find concerning that problem. Hopefully in the end I'll have two mowers I love to keep the jungle tame. Happy mowing.

P

profgeek

I got tired of blowing through big box mowers that only last 300 hours (max), even with decent maintenance, so I bit the bullet and went all out. I took delivery of my Grasshopper 721DT on July 3rd. I mow 3 acres with lots of trees, so I got a 52" deck and some other nice options (PowerFold deck, Grammer seat). So far it's been flawless, but only 6 hours on it to date. It's a great ride that has put the fun back into mowing for me. I also have a Kubota BX25, but can't mow with it because of all my trees on my property. It's just too unwieldy for mowing, but I love the engine. That's one of the reasons why I gravitated to the Grasshopper with the Kubota diesel in it. I'm looking forward to keeping up with this forum to help me keep my new machine in tip-top shape.

K

KennyV

... I love the engine. That's one of the reasons why I gravitated to the Grasshopper with the Kubota diesel in it.

Got to love Kubota Diesels.... :smile:KennyV

maggerdews

maggerdews

Got the new Grasshopper the end of May and like it more all the time. Mow about 2 acres and it does the job in about half the time of my old JD 332 (an admirable work horse BTW). Bit of a learning curve as this is my first zero turn, but I'm getting the hang of it. Straight mowing is still a challenge so trying to figure out a technique that will get me straight while going fast. Look forward to reading and posting on the forum!

MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan

I am answering the invitation to introduce myself.

I am new to the Grasshopper world, but not new to ZTR's. I bought a 253 hour 725K2 yesterday with 61" deck, Power Vac and dump from seat hopper. It has been generally extremely well cared for except the original owner evidently did not know that the spindles have grease fittings. It was so noisy you wouldn't believe it and two of the fittings were so rusted I couldn't get them to take grease, so I replaced all three spindles last night.

I have the oil draining out of it right now, but hope to fill it up with oil tonight, grease my new spindles and mow with it. I have mowed a little with it and really like the front mount deck and the way it maneuvers. I do all my own maintenance and repair, so I like the layout of the machine very much.

I mowed the past 8 years with a Bad Boy which is a durable and reliable machine, but driving it is like driving a one ton truck compared to the Grasshopper which is more like my old Mercedes SLK Roadster.

I look forward to discussing mowers and lawn care with all you guys,
Larry

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I am answering the invitation to introduce myself.

I am new to the Grasshopper world, but not new to ZTR's. I bought a 253 hour 725K2 yesterday with 61" deck, Power Vac and dump from seat hopper. It has been generally extremely well cared for except the original owner evidently did not know that the spindles have grease fittings. It was so noisy you wouldn't believe it and two of the fittings were so rusted I couldn't get them to take grease, so I replaced all three spindles last night.

I have the oil draining out of it right now, but hope to fill it up with oil tonight, grease my new spindles and mow with it. I have mowed a little with it and really like the front mount deck and the way it maneuvers. I do all my own maintenance and repair, so I like the layout of the machine very much.

I mowed the past 8 years with a Bad Boy which is a durable and reliable machine, but driving it is like driving a one ton truck compared to the Grasshopper which is more like my old Mercedes SLK Roadster.

I look forward to discussing mowers and lawn care with all you guys,
Larry

Welcome to LW, Larry! :welcome:

R

Raege

Hello,

I'm Raege, and I help to run a lawn care business in Iowa. I am a professional type of mower in a small town type of setting. We have two Grasshoppers, 325D's with 61" decks. We got our first one, this is our third full season with it and I don't think I would switch to another brand. Also, our local dealer is one of our customers so that always helps with our loyalty lol. Anyways, I've run these machines a lot. I myself put probably close to 500 hours on the machine in a season so I know them well. As far as other models go, I'm more of a fan of the midmount than the frontmount, but my expertise is with the 325D.

Have a great one!

H

Hustling

Just bought a low hour 2005 Grasshopper 722D w/ 61' Deck and a 60" snow blade. I mow about 4 acres of my own and 2.3 of an elderly neighbor. I have plowed snow with a Z for about 5 years - it is awesome to see a Z push snow. Can't wait to see the Grasshopper do some drift busting.. any advice on chains or snow pushing setup on a grasshoppa is appreciated.. also advice on where I could find a PDF of an owners manual.

G

grasshopper721d

Hello, I'm new to the Forum and checking in for the first time.

I'm the second owner of a 1996 vintage Grasshopper 721D with 970 hours total time. The previous owner babied it and it's a beauty. However, it will no longer be stored in a climate controlled shop as before, but outside in the cold, at least for a season. I'm concerned about cold starting a diesel and plan to install a soft plug heater. One seller on e-bay offers these for $50 shipped. But before I buy, I wanted some input from the forum if anyone knows which model number Katz heater is the correct one for the Kubota model 722-E diesel engine in this machine?

Anyone have experience installing the Katz soft plug heater in a 721D?

For instance, which soft plug does Grasshopper suggest the heater be installed?

What is the best method to remove the soft plug?

What wattage heater does Grasshopper recommend? I live in IA where OATs can reach 25 degrees below zero and this machine MUST start so I can blow the snow.

A local man suggested using a magnetic oil pan heater. Does anyone have experience with one of these and how it performs compared to a soft plug heater? Has anyone tried both?

I can't find a Grasshopper part number for a soft plug heater. Does anybody know if Grasshopper offers a specific part number for a Katz soft plug heater?

Thanks

K

KennyV

Hello, I'm new to the Forum and checking in for the first time.

I'm the second owner of a 1996 vintage Grasshopper 721D with 970 hours total time. The previous owner babied it and it's a beauty. However, it will no longer be stored in a climate controlled shop as before, but outside in the cold, at least for a season. I'm concerned about cold starting a diesel and plan to install a soft plug heater. One seller on e-bay offers these for $50 shipped. But before I buy, I wanted some input from the forum if anyone knows which model number Katz heater is the correct one for the Kubota model 722-E diesel engine in this machine?

Anyone have experience installing the Katz soft plug heater in a 721D?

For instance, which soft plug does Grasshopper suggest the heater be installed?

What is the best method to remove the soft plug?

What wattage heater does Grasshopper recommend? I live in IA where OATs can reach 25 degrees below zero and this machine MUST start so I can blow the snow.

A local man suggested using a magnetic oil pan heater. Does anyone have experience with one of these and how it performs compared to a soft plug heater? Has anyone tried both?

I can't find a Grasshopper part number for a soft plug heater. Does anybody know if Grasshopper offers a specific part number for a Katz soft plug heater?

Thanks

You can check with your local Kubota dealer... they stock the block heaters for the D722E engine. About $30... the removal of the plug is as simple as driving one side in until it turns 90 degrees, then grab hold of the side that came out and pull. If you have room to use a slide hammer, that will also remove it, but is Not necessary.
The instillation instructions are in the attached pdf file.
Using a heater will help it start quicker, But is Not going to be a Necessity... A good diesel fuel for cold weather is More important because a gelled fuel will not pump. I have never had a diesel with working glow plugs fail to start.
The oil pan heaters are not worth having, they are Very low wattage. If you really want a heater get an in block or lower rad hose type... either one of those will be 400 watt... and with that tiny engine will heat it up in less than an hour. :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• D722BlockHeaters.pdf
    585.4 KB · Views: 13

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

We are a Outdoor power service/sales/parts and landscaping center. Grasshopper is out best line. We all love the machines! We do mostly front mounts in our area but we do have a few commercial cutter running mid mounts. 930D is my personal weapon of choice!

P

PTWhopper

Bought and acreage 5-mos ago. No way am I mowing 2.5 acres that has a combination of 85 tree and bush obstacles with a garden tractor. I borrowed a couple of mid-mount ZTR's to finish out the mowing season and fell in love with the design. I have spent many hours researching the best fit for the dollar. I keep coming back to the Grasshopper front mount for the major reason that it is a 4-season design with a very good customer satisfaction record.

I will be posting "advice requests" in another forum.

Great to see this venue out in the Ether!!!

B

bwkemp

I purchased a used woods 5215 (1992?) From what I can tell it is a grasshopper 721D It has the 722 diesel engine 61" deck, and need (needed) some work. The frame inbetween the hydrastats was broke so i had to disassemble it to weld it back together. I replaced a leaky seal and 0-ring on the hydrostats (771 gemini) while I had it out. It is very used (bought from golf course) with 2800 hours on it. Runs good, newish tires, needs a battery, and some more tlc.

I got the mower/deck along with a good seat (couple years old) a couple extra new spindles some old quick disconnect pto shafts for the driveline. I paid $200 for the mower and figure I will have $400 and 15 hours in it by the time I have it up to par with new fluids/battery and all the little stuff.

Not that I really needed it for 3/4 of an acre (does have 50 trees or so), but I figured for the price I couldn't go to wrong.

I'll try to get some pics later
Brian

N

negcash

I purchased a used woods 5215 (1992?) From what I can tell it is a grasshopper 721D It has the 722 diesel engine 61" deck, and need (needed) some work. The frame inbetween the hydrastats was broke so i had to disassemble it to weld it back together. I replaced a leaky seal and 0-ring on the hydrostats (771 gemini) while I had it out. It is very used (bought from golf course) with 2800 hours on it. Runs good, newish tires, needs a battery, and some more tlc.

I got the mower/deck along with a good seat (couple years old) a couple extra new spindles some old quick disconnect pto shafts for the driveline. I paid $200 for the mower and figure I will have $400 and 15 hours in it by the time I have it up to par with new fluids/battery and all the little stuff.

Not that I really needed it for 3/4 of an acre (does have 50 trees or so), but I figured for the price I couldn't go to wrong.

I'll try to get some pics later
Brian
I do about 500 hours a year on a 2010 721D, 61" front mount ( 100 acre Christmas tree farm ) and the only thing I've had to replace is maintenance items, belts, blades, tires....I believe one of the reasons it gets so many hours is because it's so darn comfortable and you just can't beat a front mount ZTR. It has about 2000 hours on it, I do need to replace the Actuator for raising the deck if anyone has an inexpensive line on any.

D

drummer091857

Hi all. I'm a newbie here but look forward to becoming active in the forums. I started L&M Lawn Care LLC in 2011 with a new 729BT that includes a powerlift 61" deck, mulch kit, electric dump vac system and dethatcher. As for my other equipment, Stihl has been the company of choice. A little pricey but well worth the extra money. I hope I can be of assistance sometime and thanks for having me.

B

bobojay

First post here. 2004, (10 yrs old in 2 months), 225 Zero Turn w/52" deck. 470 hrs, usually filthy dirty with mud splash because of a wet low yard, even in summer

E

edporch

Hi,
Thursday 4/10 I bought a used 2008 Grasshooper model 727T with 61" deck and 460 hours.
Will be picking it up in the next few days.
Though I've used a Grasshopper before, this is the first one I've ever owned.

E

edporch

Hi,
Thursday 4/10 I bought a used 2008 Grasshooper model 727T with 61" deck and 460 hours.
Will be picking it up in the next few days.
Though I've used a Grasshopper before, this is the first one I've ever owned.

Correction, I got a Model 727K T6.
Picked it up yesterday, and it's in great shape!
Talked to some people who know the previous owner and they said if he owned it, it was sure to well taken care of.
Am happy with my choice.

A

Ammo Dave

Hello folks!
Checking in from Georgia. Good to find such a forum, as I am having an issue with my Grasshopper and hopefully can get it squared away with the knowledge that is on this forum!

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Whats the problem with the Grasshopper?

A

Ammo Dave

Whats the problem with the Grasshopper?

I posted in the forum, but no replies as of yet. Here is a link.. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/grasshopper-forum/24190-no-electrical-power-console-725d.html

Thanks!!!
Dave

M

mrbill

Hello all!

Picked up a used 2005 220 with 2100hrs at a city auction today, and think I got a good deal. Appears to be well taken care of. All fluids clean and full with new filters everywhere except air, and it is pretty clean.

Starts easy, runs great, drives great.

Only things I can find wrong with it are that the hydro drive belt will need replaced fairly soon, and the clutch for the blades is not engaging.

Will do some searching for a resolution to this issue. I've checked the pull switch and it seems to be functioning as it kills the engine if the seat sensor is not activated.

Anyways, I'm excited to get mowing with this, as it will be my first ZTR and I have about an acre of lawn that is odd shaped with lots of trees and another acre of open space partially in orchard/ pasture grass.

Happy mowing!

K

kc kid

I live on 80 acres in Kansas. I just play on it I say play I have 3 cats and 1 dog for my livestock. I mow about 5 acres with my 1822 grasshopper. My grasshopper is old and I have been throwing a lot of $ at my mower every season but my left wheel locked up last week and I think I will just bite the bullet and purchase a Dixie Chopper. I really like my grasshopper but I think it is time for a change and I like to go fast in everything I do.

K

KennyV

I live on 80 acres in Kansas. I just play on it I say play I have 3 cats and 1 dog for my livestock. I mow about 5 acres with my 1822 grasshopper. My grasshopper is old and I have been throwing a lot of $ at my mower every season but my left wheel locked up last week and I think I will just bite the bullet and purchase a Dixie Chopper. I really like my grasshopper but I think it is time for a change and I like to go fast in everything I do.

Most Grasshoppers are Worth repairing, always...
If you are just wanting something new, the Dixie Chopper is a Great mower, not 'quite' as well built as the Grasshopper but it will also prove to be very repair. KennyV:smile:

R

Ron_P

Howdy all,

Well I posted a question in this forum first, and also one in the JD forum. However I do have an old, '93 720K. I'm currently learning just how hard it is to replace a Pillow Block Bearing. I purchased it in 2002, having roughly 720hrs. It has a 52" deck, and has been a real workhorse. I'm considering on getting something a little newer, perhaps one of the 600 series. I'll be perusing the forums, as it is a wealth of information.

My 720K
MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG

tew45

tew45

I have owned a Grasshopper for a couple of years now. It is a 721D with a 9561 deck. I love the front deck since I can mow under fences and trees. I regularly mow around 20 acres including an 8 acre vineyard and the grasshopper is a blessing! It is a 2004 model with a little over 1200 hours on it. I have a few problems with it from time to time but I mow fast and some times I hit a lot of sticks. Most of my problems are caused by mowing abuse. I don't think many mowers would stand up to this abuse. (I do all service and care on time or before). I bought it used and I am still finding problems left by the previous owner (city or state owned for my mower number is 65) North Texas is hot and dry the last part of summer and hot and wet the first part so my grasshopper really works. I have got it stuck in the mud a couple of times and had to use a come-along to get out. My Wife uses a residential Troybilt 50 inch and she has problems all the time and my diesel uses a lot less fuel. Later I will look for a deck that raises up all the way for easier blade changes and cleaning. I will post photos later

R

rjsgrasshopper

First time to forum as I am having trouble with my 1822. One hydro is weak so am looking for help.
the guy I bought it off of has the manuals and promised to mail them to me. Still waiting. :laughing:Got my 1822 with the bagger as I use clippings to mulch garden. Really fast at dumping and back to mowing. Now off to find answers.
:smile:

M

MrKelly

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up my 05 GH 727k2 today. It has the 72" deck, 60" power angle sweepster broom, and cab. I'll post pictures after I get it cleaned up.
I want to thank all the grasshopper owners that post to this forum. This is where google sent me for most of my searches when trying to decide which mower to buy.
I can't wait till spring when I can cut grass with this thing, but first I'll get the cab and broom on so I'm ready for the snow.

Knukey

Knukey

Bought a 1993 Woods 5215 (Aka 721D) with 806 hrs this weekend. Gonna see how long these things can last.

G

grasshopper721d

Knurky,

The Kubota diesel in that mower should last 3000 hours or better with regular service. I've never had a Woods, only my Grasshopper 721D. It had 750 hours on it when I bought it. It's got nearly 2000 hours on it now and no sign of trouble. Great on fuel. Doesn't burn or leak any oil. Sounds as good as it did the day I bought it. It's a 96 model with the original Gemini drives. No sign of weakness there either. I have a 61 inch deck, cab, snow blower, 4 foot Little Bully blade, and a 6 foot Sweepster. I use it year 'round. And all of it works great. I added a frost plug heater and a magnetic oil pan heater to make winter starting easier. The way it's going, it may well last the rest of my days.

BWH

BWH

Knurky,

The Kubota diesel in that mower should last 3000 hours or better with regular service. I've never had a Woods, only my Grasshopper 721D. It had 750 hours on it when I bought it. It's got nearly 2000 hours on it now and no sign of trouble. Great on fuel. Doesn't burn or leak any oil. Sounds as good as it did the day I bought it. It's a 96 model with the original Gemini drives. No sign of weakness there either. I have a 61 inch deck, cab, snow blower, 4 foot Little Bully blade, and a 6 foot Sweepster. I use it year 'round. And all of it works great. I added a frost plug heater and a magnetic oil pan heater to make winter starting easier. The way it's going, it may well last the rest of my days.

grasshopper721d

Cold starts on a diesel are tough, I the frost plug heater and the magnetic oil pan heater are excellent investments. I can guarantee that you've extended the life many times with the amount of cold starts you must have using it all winter.

I have a snow blower for my 725D and have thought of purchasing the rotary broom, can you tell me what you experiences have been with the broom?

G

grasshopper721d

grasshopper721d

Cold starts on a diesel are tough, I the frost plug heater and the magnetic oil pan heater are excellent investments. I can guarantee that you've extended the life many times with the amount of cold starts you must have using it all winter.

I have a snow blower for my 725D and have thought of purchasing the rotary broom, can you tell me what you experiences have been with the broom?

I live on a gravel lane and the snow plow plows rocks and gravel into my yard. The broom works wonders in the spring to sweep all that gravel right back out into the lane. Also, I use it to sweep up under my black walnut trees; no more picking up walnuts. Also, I use it at least once a year over the entire lawn to remove thatch. Works fantastic. If you get one, just throttle it down so as not to unnecessarily heat up the broom bristles and overwork the gearbox. Higher speeds only raise up a bigger cloud of dust anyway. Good luck.

BWH

BWH

I live on a gravel lane and the snow plow plows rocks and gravel into my yard. The broom works wonders in the spring to sweep all that gravel right back out into the lane. Also, I use it to sweep up under my black walnut trees; no more picking up walnuts. Also, I use it at least once a year over the entire lawn to remove thatch. Works fantastic. If you get one, just throttle it down so as not to unnecessarily heat up the broom bristles and overwork the gearbox. Higher speeds only raise up a bigger cloud of dust anyway. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, That's interesting using it in the yard I live along a paved street on a hill where they spread a lot of gravel then plow that gravel into the yard the next snow, I have to rake every spring I really like the idea of the broom for that problem.

I have a sweepster from back in the 70's that come off a John Deere lawn tractor, I picked it up very reasonable but have never tried to fabricate a Grasshopper mount. Maybe I should sell it to a J.D. guy and buy a news one with the right mount.

G

grasshopper721d

Thanks for the reply, That's interesting using it in the yard I live along a paved street on a hill where they spread a lot of gravel then plow that gravel into the yard the next snow, I have to rake every spring I really like the idea of the broom for that problem.

I have a sweepster from back in the 70's that come off a John Deere lawn tractor, I picked it up very reasonable but have never tried to fabricate a Grasshopper mount. Maybe I should sell it to a J.D. guy and buy a news one with the right mount.

If it were me, I'd trade the JD broom. Lots of JD owners around that would snap it right up. If you modify it to fit the GH, you've ruined its value. Best to sell it and exchange its value for a Sweepster with GH mount.

G

Gratex

I recently bought my 2013 Grasshopper 52" Duramax Mid-mount and rear discharge mower from an auction. First zero-turn! Hoping to get all the kinks ironed out....

Reubenjet

Reubenjet

Geetings!

I am a new owner of an "Old" Grasshopper. I just bought a 2004, 225/61 (my avatar) that was under the deck of a widow-lady's house for 5 years. Her husband passed and the mower has not been run since. I am currently "fixing" her up and will be posting for help. I love Grasshoppers but have never been able to afford one. I have had John Deere's all my life and decided to upgrade in order to save my valuable time when I cut. I live in Hawkinsville, GA and work in Pinehurst, GA. I work for a Case IH dealer and we also sell Grasshopper mowers. I look forward to corresponding with fellow GH owners!

--Reubenjet

Punjiusa

Punjiusa

:newhere:Hi folks! I am a retired GM (Delphi) Electrician and a disabled veteran. I have 4 acres and have a bit of a problem with wet grounds. I moved here 19 years ago and have owned several mowers, with the last prior one being a Bobcat. Until I purchased my Grasshopper 725D T6, I had about given up on ZTR mowers. It didn't take long to realize there is just no comparison between a Grasshopper and any other ZTR mowers! The traction and control in wet areas and uneven ground is simply head and shoulders above anything else I have tried. The front mount deck makes it much easier to control how close you can get to obstacles. With a little practice you can do a fantastic job and really fast too. The Kubota diesel also is nearly impossible to stall in high and/or wet grass, way better than my previous mower, even though it was rated 5 hp more. I wish I had bought this Grasshopper long ago! I also am quite impressed with how easy it is to clean and maintain.:thumbsup::drink: I do have one tip for owners of ANY mower. To make it far easier to clean the deck after mowing, before each use after cleaning, spray all the underside areas of the deck with WD40. You'll be amazed at how little build-up of clippings there will be. Also, for touch-up paint, Krylon Dual Super Bond #8802 Gloss Almond is a near-perfect match for the sheet metal parts, and Krylon Dual Super Bond #8812 Gloss Leather Brown is a near match all the other painted parts. I haven't had any problems yet, but from what I've seen here, I know where to come when I do!:thumbsup:

N

NathanKY

Hello All-

2009 Grasshopper 727T6 owner here. Ive had the mower for a few years and its been a decent rig. I'm just north of Louisville KY and have about a 10 acre property. I also assist in maintaining a large 600+ acre farm. Currently a facility operations manager and manage a large private equipment fleet. I'm looking forward to taking part in the forums, get some great tech info and contribute as much as I can also!

J

jerryshenk

I got a Grasshopper 618 with an SL52 deck in July to replace my Troy-Bilt mower. I got the Troy-Bilt when we moved here 7 years ago...I hoped I would get 3-4 years out of it...it did ok, definitely not disappointed. It's showing some age...ok, it's about beat;) It's a bigyard with LOTS of trees and I thought the front-mount deck zero-turn would be a better option. I just got a 412 snowblower for it...hoping for a chance to really test it out this winter. I've never had a snowblower before - the small ones seemed like more work than shoveling and the big ones are too expensive so, I got a used monster blower;)...at least it seems like a monster to me....I think it can get the job done.

20171031_083149.jpg

V

vonfatman

howdy, i'm bob from the kcmo area. my first zero-turn was an ariens mid-mount...loved the zero turn feature....did not like the ride...rough.
next zero-turn was a 725k grasshopper. purchased new. a great unit. i was wanting more torque (i mow a bunch of trails on our farm etc...) so i sold my 725k and bought a used 2004 model 722d2. it has those big g2 drives and a 3 cyl. kubota diesel. great machine. i'm sold on grasshoppers. love the power-fold deck, suspension seat etc... i also have a 480 snow/lite material blade as well as a 60" drift-buster snow blower.

if i ever buy another grasshopper, it will be a 900 series with diesel....but 20k is a lot of coin!!

bob

O

Ozark5179

howdy, i'm bob from the kcmo area. my first zero-turn was an ariens mid-mount...loved the zero turn feature....did not like the ride...rough....if i ever buy another grasshopper, it will be a 900 series with diesel....but 20k is a lot of coin!!

bob

Bob: AMEN! I've had a GHopper 223 mid-mount for 8 years on my slope-y 3 acres. LOVE IT ... now that I'm really old :laughing: I've been shopping for a 900 series front mount diesel on Craigs list for over a year.

Just bought a used 925D front mount Kubota diesel yesterday for $5K with a massive 71" power lift deck from an 80 year old man about 90 miles away with only 1100 hours! I'm IN LOVE! I hear ya' man!

V

vonfatman

wow, you got a DEAL!!! congrats!!!

my 722d has a clutch or clutch switch issue, mower won't come on.
taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. it has 900+ hours so i am not surprised.

bob

D

dreemail

Hi Forum-

I live on 15 acres in Texas and just bought a 725DT6 Grasshopper. I would like to use forum to find tips and tricks and up my Lawn (field) mowing skills. Thank you all ahead of time!

Mike D.

BWH

BWH

Your going to enjoy your 725DT6 I'm starting my 3rd season with mine, this is my 4th Grasshopper (80,92,02,14) each update was improved over the previous model. My 725DT6 came with a Grammar suspension seat, with a bad back like mine I love that as much as my Grasshopper. The torque of these diesels are incredible, especially noticeable when the lawn gets away from a guy during the spring rainy season it just eats through like a normal day. Enjoy!

O

Ozark5179

Bob: AMEN! I've had a GHopper 223 mid-mount for 8 years on my slope-y 3 acres. LOVE IT ... now that I'm really old :laughing: I've been shopping for a 900 series front mount diesel on Craigs list for over a year.

Just bought a used 929D front mount Kubota diesel yesterday for $5,000 with a massive 71" power lift deck from an 80 year old man about 90 miles away with only 1100 hours! I'm IN LOVE! I hear ya' man!
I just took delivery of my "new" 928D today! It's solid! Will be replacing the rear tires, adding a shade canopy, replacing with LED headlamps.

Any other MAN-BLING things you guys can think I should be adding to my "new' 928D with 71" deck??? SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED AND ENCOURAGED! :laughing::wink::smile::biggrin:

B

Bavent

Greetings or Bonjour from France. We look after a Chateau and 17acres in Normandy France and have inherited a 1994 Grasshopper 721D along with all the problems a badly maintained mower brings. Each year we have to deal with another set of problems, (mainly because the Chateau owner has deep pockets and short arms to actually buy a new machine) so we solider on the best we can with the added problems living in France brings ie. customer service (ha, whats that!) and the impossibility of getting parts here. The latest issues have been the cutting bed over heating and failing! We managed to get a reconditioned CCW gear box from our one and only Grasshopper rep in France (at double the cost of in the USA) but have yet to try it our due to the 'monsoon' season arriving... One thing I need a thought or two on is the alinement of the three cutting blades, which is the best configuration for the blades in mulching mode.... Thanks for now PB in Normandy

tew45

tew45

Welcome, new member! I'm sure the forum will be a benefit to you with your 721D. What deck do you have are how many hours on the meter? I have a small vineyard in North Texas and also use a 721D with a 61 in deck. I'm not sure about what you mean by blade alignment but any curved portion fits upward.

H

Huserfan

GASSHOPPER since ‘96. since 2011 a 725D, 61 inch powerfold deck, power 16 FM catcher, 48 snow thrower with electric chute and lift, snow cab stays on year around. Had the doors fitted with mesh and zip up clear vinyl for ventilation and added RV style 12 volt fan, rear back up camera and power outlet for phone. It is a beastly heavy so I have the dual rear tandem wheels and Mains are 22 inch Kendrick turfs. 450 hours. Only problem I’ve had is an alternator, replaced last year.

K

krb1945

I have two grasshopper zero radius mowers... a 922D yr 2008 and a 930D yr 2012 front lift deck. I've had many mowers during my nearly 3/4 of a century on earth. I cannot sing the praises of these two diesels enough. I only use them for my lawns, one in FL 3.4 acres and one in S. GA 3.5 acres. Great thing about grasshoppers is it doesn't take all day to doing the mowing. I have time for to do other honeydo's.

If you need a reliable mower and want one of the best, you can't go wrong buying one. :thumbsup: //ken

R

Renchy

I have two grasshopper zero radius mowers... a 922D yr 2008 and a 930D yr 2012 front lift deck. I've had many mowers during my nearly 3/4 of a century on earth. I cannot sing the praises of these two diesels enough. I only use them for my lawns, one in FL 3.4 acres and one in S. GA 3.5 acres. Great thing about grasshoppers is it doesn't take all day to doing the mowing. I have time for to do other honeydo's.

If you need a reliable mower and want one of the best, you can't go wrong buying one. ? //ken
Wow to all of my fellow members great to meet you all from around the world. Names Rench been a member about a year bought my used 2003 725g2 GH w/732hrs, Kubota gas & 52" deck from school district auction. She's worn but still strong just needs TLC and alot of learning on my part as dealerships are 200+ mile away. Not as bad as France (sorry guys). Walkers are fine but have you ever seen one mowing a pasture that horses, cows graze on with all of the ruts, gopher hole/mounds that abound on 21/2 acres? I haven't.

D

DennisH

Just joined this forum in hopes of gaining more info on Grasshopper repairs. I currently own 3 Grasshoppers, a 2018 727K EFI, 2010 727K, and a 2005 618. I have owned around 8 grasshoppers in my life and believe they are the best going. I have 11 acres and mow about 3-4 regularly with my zero turns.

I

Ironheadvette

Hi. - Just bought a 1999 725 gas Grasshopper from a good friend. My wife can’’t remember grasshopper, and keeps calling it a Cricket - so we have a name for it..
I like the Kubota engine. And the. Way it mows. (please forgive the extra periods…. I don’t know what. Is going on with my keyboard)

I wanted. This mower due. To low hours. (800) - but I really miss the. Power. Lift feature. For the deck.
If anyone has. Any ideas On easier. Ways to raise the deck - I’m all ears. I used my. Three floor. Jacks
to. Sharpen the blades yesterday.
There is a Brace that goes behind the deck but i don’t see how that will help.

J

JaoeyP

Hi fellas, new to the forum from Troy, MO. Just got my first Grasshopper, a 720K.

4getgto

4getgto

Hi fellas, new to the forum from Troy, MO. Just got my first Grasshopper, a 720K.
I have one similar to yours with different colored paint on..

IMG_20170804_164619.jpg

K

Kneale Brownson

GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name ?). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

New (old guy) owner of an older 616. Currently trying to solve a no-start issue.

swschult

swschult

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

My name is Steve, and I live about 25 miles from Madison, Wisconsin. From my late father I inherited a Grasshopper, liquid-cooled, 52-inch, front-mount model 725A with Kohler engine. It is a 2004 model, and it has 1560 hours on it. It has been serviced by the dealer every year. If it is possible, I want to install a ROPS and new seat on it and then keep it forever. Does that seem wise, or is this mower simply too old to sink money into. What would it be worth on trade?

4getgto

4getgto

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

My name is Steve, and I live about 25 miles from Madison, Wisconsin. From my late father I inherited a Grasshopper, liquid-cooled, 52-inch, front-mount model 725A with Kohler engine. I think it is a 2004 model, and it has 1560 hours on it. It has been serviced by the dealer every year. If it is possible, I want to install a ROPS and new seat on it and then keep it forever. Does that seem wise, or is this mower simply too old to sink money into. What would it be worth on trade?
Hey Steve. No value on trade in (imo). Best just to keep it and run it till it can't run no more.
I added a new suspension seat (picture above) 4/5 years ago and definitely a wise investment (according to my back).
You say you have a liquid cooled Kohler.? Honestly didnt know Kohler made a water cooled motor of that time frame.

swschult

swschult

Hey Steve. No value on trade in (imo). Best just to keep it and run it till it can't run no more.
I added a new suspension seat (picture above) 4/5 years ago and definitely a wise investment (according to my back).
You say you have a liquid cooled Kohler.? Honestly didnt know Kohler made a water cooled motor of that time frame.

According to this post on lawnsite.com, the water-cooled Kohler was only offered for one year.

LawnSite Fanatic

LocationTexas
They only made that machine for one year, but it is a great mower. Kohler could not meet the demand for that liquid-cooled engine, and Grasshopper finally had to just quit offering that engine option.

R

randallvoss

GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name ?). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

526V52

swschult

swschult

I put a ROPS on it, and a seat belt, but ultimately couldn’t cough up $1200 for a suspension seat. I’m going to keep it until it dies, and in the meantime I feel a lot better when I’m mowing on inclines.

T

TAS_TODD

Just joined.
08 (I think) 729G2, 52" power fold deck, 3cyc Kubota gas.

It's been a great mower, now I just need to keep it that way.

S

S1C EM

Hi all! New here and looking for advice on a possible GRasshopper purchase. I just sold my three-year-old Bad Boy MZ Magnum and looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger with an easier-to-access deck area. I'm about sold on a Grasshopper front-mount. Does anyone have recommendations on a particular model? I don't need a full-fledged commercial mower. I've just got about two acres of thick field/pasture grass in my backyard and Bermuda in the front. That said, the pasture grass was enough to choke out the Bad Boy's 726cc 22hp Kawasaki at times. I'm looking at the 526v-52 and up at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any input!

K

ksvondrak

Hi all, new here. A few months ago purchased my first Grasshopper, a 2004 618. Had a small oil leak on the rear seal and then when I went to fix that and I had it sitting for a couple of weeks, I noticed oil in the front. Ended up pulling the motor and the front seal was spinning in the engine housing. Replaced both seals and found he hydraulic line had a loose clamp at the bottom of the reservoir. Tightened that up and everything is dry now. Just purchased a used 412 snow thrower for it and now looking into a snow cab. I have been told they didn't make a snow cab for that model, so I am hoping to be able to rig something up somehow.

Tobster117

Tobster117

Hey All,

I'm new here and joined up to seek a little help, mother inlaw has a Grasshopper 321D that I've got to troubleshoot a post fire electrical fault, confident I've already fount the issue but I'll post more details in the main threads. I've also got an ancient push mower which I hope someone can help identify, all I know is its a Villiers "pull start" so to speak but you actually wind the handle and push a lever to get it to start.

I uploaded a picture but I'll keep the push mower questions out of the grasshopper board.

Cheers,
Toby

Attachments

A

amowingfool

GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! 👍

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name 😆). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Just acquired in trade a vintage GH mower #1822 with deck #6152
I also have a Big Dog, A Hustler, A Husqvarna and an Ariens Tractor

L

ljms

Hi All, I am not new here but have gotten the weekly updates and have read a lot of the postings. I have asked questions on here before so I am not totally new.
I have a Grasshopper 524V-42 that I bought new last year. After two summers worth of mowing I have come to several conclusions about this mower, some good, some not so good. My previous mower was a John Deere F710 front mounted mower. I bought that used in 1995, and used it every year until 2020 when the deck gave out and I could no longer keep it patched. My search for a replacement deck after many years was unsuccessful so began my search for a replacement. I posted on here several times inquiring about a replacement and some of the concerns I had. My son has a 54" Cub Cadet Ultima and I used that for one summer and found it to be a good mower other than two things. One the frame is so stiff that my lawn which has it's share of uneven surfaces did not look as nice as the job my John Deere did. The second problem I found was working on the deck. At 69 years old then, removing the blades was hard and removing the deck harder.
I had seen many of the commercials for the Grasshopper and the ability to raise the deck for easier access was a very attractive feature. And the advertised "fastest lawn mowing" looked promising. So when I went to the dealer to do some research they talked them up pretty well. I mow about an acre of grass and much of it is around trees, bushes and flower beds so the 42" seemed like a good fit. Now to what I find as good in this mower. The option to raise the deck for cleaning and service. This is really a very nice feature, even better than my John Deere F710 which you could raise the deck but you had to raise it anf lower it on blocks to keep it raised for under deck access. Next nice feature is the quality of the over all build. It is built with very substantial material and as long as one keeps the under side of the deck clean and services the engine it should last a very long time.
And now for the negative. With the 42" width the deck does not extend out past the width of the wheels and does not allow for mowing right up to ditches or even fences very well. It requires a lot more sting trimmer work. Maybe a bit different engineering, but maybe nothing more could be changed. And the major negative and if I had had an opportunity to run this on my property, it would have been a game changer and I would not have purchased the mower. The skid plate under the deck drive belts hangs up constantly on the slightest high spot and high centers, requiring one to stop, raise the deck to it's highest position and move forward or backward as needed. My lawn has too many of these areas. I can't even mow along the edge of my gravel drive way due to the crowning of the driveway. Never had that problem with any other mower I have used. Anyway that's my experience with my Grasshopper. Have any of you had similar problems? Ihope this posting isn't too long and thanks for reading.
LaVern

B

bobojay

Been a member for several months doing a lot of reading.
Have a bought new 2000, 225-52 with a Kohler Command 25hp. Just made 1000 hours this summer with it and also had 2 major problems show up. A frame crack on the left rear wheel/hydro mount "box", and a BIG oil leak in that hydro which had to be rebuilt at a cost of $550.+. First non maintenance issues ever.
Overall pretty satisfied, but it's showing its age....