Got Honeybees?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Reading the thread here about pesticide awareness made me realize, once again, to use as little as possible to prevent killing bees. We have many flowerbeds and a garden, which attract both bad bugs and good bees. During the last several years I have sharply reduced the amount of pesticides I spray, because I don't want to kill bees.

We have had a very small crop of Japanese Beetles this year, so few that I only need to put out one trap. In past years I'd frequently have a half dozen traps out and be required to spray our peach trees frequently to keep the darn beetles from devouring the crop.

So, I am curious, does anyone else reduce the amount and frequency you apply pesticides, in the hope of preventing the accidental death of honeybees?

173abn

Threads
my neighabor raises bees.I don't use any spray.I try to plant natural repellants like marigolds etc. Plus I try to make my garden bird friendly so flycatchers ,bluebirds etc can enjoy the bugs.just curious what kind of traps do you use? russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
my neighabor raises bees.I don't use any spray.I try to plant natural repellants like marigolds etc. Plus I try to make my garden bird friendly so flycatchers ,bluebirds etc can enjoy the bugs.just curious what kind of traps do you use? russ

The traps are the type with yellow plastic vanes you hang from a pole and use a scented lure, the beetles slide off into disposable bags, those are labeled "Bag a Bug"

outdoors Joe

Threads
I've read that honey bees are dying mysteriously, so anything that we can do to reduce the number of deaths is good. I don't use pesticides, other than off-type products and occasionally wasp and hornet spray that's the kind that comes out in a stream. No pesticides are used on my garden, both because they are bad for the environment and for humans. I don't want to kill the honey bees, either, especially since they are needed for pollination.

dria

Threads
I think this is an important thread. Colony Collapse Disorder is not something of the past. Last winter there was yet again another mass loss of honey bees in various places in the world. No one knows what really causes it. Could be lots of little things or one thing we haven't discovered. Anything you can do to help the honey bees is a good thing.

SallyA

Threads
That is so true, dria. This is an important thread, especially since we need them for pollination. It seems strange that they're dying for no apparent cause. It could be that GMO crops are causing it. I was told by a reliable source that 70% of the farmers grow GMO crops in my area, and I learned recently that those crops supposedly produce their own pesticide. It would make sense that something like that would kill honeybees.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As an X bee keeper I agree, do what you can to help honey bees they are well worth a lot of consideration as to their well being.
There are always going to be some that feel whatever they do has no impact on nature... but I do not think people with that attitude have ever worked with anything in nature... Life is rather fragile and small changes do add up...

There just has to be enough people that care to see that some consideration is shown.... :smile: KennyV