General question bout' Kohler CH25S Ignition

Mowerdawg

Threads
Working on a Lesco Zero Turn (which in itself is an information black hole) that had an wiring fire of some sort. Basically I'm curious if the smartspark pak and accompanying ignition mods (coils) can be retro fitted with a regular CD system. Basically replace the ignition modules, eliminate the spark advance box (which is gone anyway, hence my question) and use whatever relays may be needed for delay or??
Just wondering if it's possible as this customer doesn't understand the complexities of retro fitting a CV23S in this engines place.....ahem.......(mom wanted me to be a farmer)..
Oh the joy of winter projects....and the folks that bring them......cummon spring!!

Thanks to whoever may know!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was my understanding that the difference between the 20 hp and the 22/23 hp was the smartspark ignition system. I think Kohler has retrofitted the smartspark system with a new upgraded system where the smartspark box is now internal to the igntion modules themselves.

Mowerdawg

Threads
Basically, isn't the CD ignition just that? Uses ignition mods (coils) with no smart pack. Are the new modules providing an ignition advance feature like the module? If so, that would work...or would it? The mystery continues....

thanks for the post!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spark advance system is built into the module itself now instead of being a separate unit like the smartspark advance box. The spark advance system has to have 12 volts going to the module to operate. If you put 12v to the CD system it will destroy the modules.

Mowerdawg

Threads
So if this had a spark advance mod. the current ignition mods should be changed to the new ones. Correct? No power to them, I'm guessing. and no advance mod. Any delay mods or relays needed?

Thanks

efleming50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Kohler CH25S Ignition-no spark, but ran fine prior to winterization

Need help...
Trying to get the front plastic cover-behind seat off to get at disconnect to ignition modual to test.
This model has two screws holding modual in place...Thought it would be easy to disconnect, but have to remove to get to everything.
The cover is lose, but something inside on both sides is keeping cover from coming foreward/off.
I have both flip up metal tabs out of the way. Aren't these supposed to be easy to get back running as my lawns are growing?
I need to get this cover off of a 1999 xmark 60' zero turn to get to coils and un-plug ignition modual to test.
Winterized and put away running. Have replaced both fuses under seat and used dielectric on all connectors.
The motor turns, plenty of fuel to both plugs..wet..no spark to both cylinders..