Export thread

gas spitting out carb

W

wrx603

hello, so I have (what I believe to have) 1999 Murray with the 16.5 vtwin. I was told it ran fine last year, and just picked it up it needs a few things.

When I go to crank it over, (I have the hood, and air filter off mind you) it shoots a well atomized ploom of fuel straight out of the carb. Would that be a stuck float?

I had to replace the starter and my immediate reaction was " They gave me one that spins backwards!" -but I don't think thats the case....

W

wrx603

any ideas? its pretty bizarre...

I

ILENGINE

Either as leaking needle valve or intake valve stuck open.

W

wrx603

so starting pulling everything apart? oh dear...i dont even want to take the flywheel off....

I

ILENGINE

Shouldn't have to pull the flywheel.

W

wrx603

oh yeah, idk what i was thinking....haha well good should be a little easier...

SONOFADOCKER

SONOFADOCKER

Time for carb cleaning . Very easy to do . Many you tube videos out there to watch. .

W

wrx603

Time for carb cleaning . Very easy to do . Many you tube videos out there to watch. .

you think that could be it? its a v twin, and the more i think about it a stuck intake valve could be it...because it is a spray, nothing, spray, nothing...its not leaking out, its a perfect atomized ploom of gas....kinda scary...

Im sure the carb could use a cleaning and it will get done soon. The origianl owner said I should change the oil soon, so I'm thinking old gunky oil, sat outside for a nice new england winter...gumed up, stuck valve?

G

gohstboy25

Hey guys. So im pretty new to this whole small engine stuff and i'm currently taking a small engines class at my school. the engine i brought in ran when i brought it and i took it all apart and reassembled it. and when i got it all put back together i went to pull it to start it, it was not drawing fuel into the well, so i thought maybe the gasket was not sealing properly so i bought a new gasket for it and was still having the same problem. so then i went and bought a whole new carb and it fixed the problem of not drawing fuel into the well, but now when i pull the rope i get a big shot of pure liquid fuel that is not atomized that shoots out the top. so now im kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. i need to get this mower running at peak preformance because it is the only mower i have. i would really appricate it if somebody would be able to help me out with some info on how to go about fixing this problem.

Thankyou all. have a great day!!!!

C

chance123

hello, so I have (what I believe to have) 1999 Murray with the 16.5 vtwin. I was told it ran fine last year, and just picked it up it needs a few things.

When I go to crank it over, (I have the hood, and air filter off mind you) it shoots a well atomized ploom of fuel straight out of the carb. Would that be a stuck float?

I had to replace the starter and my immediate reaction was " They gave me one that spins backwards!" -but I don't think thats the case....

Check your compression on both cylinders