Export thread

Gas leak

D

DNHerring

I have a Toro self-propelled mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. After my last cutting, I noticed that gas was dripping out if the air filter compartment. Is this a gas leak from a cracked tank or something else?

reddragon

reddragon

often..its the primer bulb or fuel line......can you give us all your numbers?....and maybe some pictures:wink:

K

KennyV

I have a Toro self-propelled mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. After my last cutting, I noticed that gas was dripping out if the air filter compartment. Is this a gas leak from a cracked tank or something else?

WELCOME to LMF...

Definitely something else...

It is most likely the float is stuck in the float bowel... or as reddeagon suggested...
:smile:KennyV

D

DNHerring

reddragon - Not sure exactly what kind of numbers or pictures you are wanting, but here's a side view of the mower. Left side is the gas tank. Right side is the air filter compartment (hangs a little lower than the tank). The leak comes out on the lower left corner of the air filter compartment.

Unlikely that it is a primer bulb issue. This engine is one that doesn't need to be primed or choked, so there is no bulb. How would I check the fuel lines to see if they are the issue?

KennyV - How would I diagnose the float bowel issue? I can do basic tune up type repairs, but I am basically a novice on how to repair engines.

reddragon

reddragon

i mean the model/serial numbers of both the mower and engine....your post has no pictures....try again please............im in the dark until you give me some more info:smile:

D

DNHerring

i mean the model/serial numbers of both the mower and engine....your post has no pictures....try again please............im in the dark until you give me some more info:smile:

My bad. I'm notoriously bad at forgetting to attach pictures. Lets try again. :smile:

Mower is a Toro, can't seem to locate the model #. Engine is a Briggs and Stratton, model #124T02-0203B1.

Attachments

reddragon

reddragon

id take off the air cleaner housing to get a better view first....heres a breakdown.... Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 124T02-0203-B1.

D

DNHerring

id take off the air cleaner housing to get a better view first....heres a breakdown.... Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 124T02-0203-B1.

Here's a couple of pictures of the air filter housing taken off. The gas seems to be drizzling in from the hole in the middle (pardon my lack of technical language :wink: ).

Attachments

K

KennyV

The float is either stuck... & not 'floating' on the fuel in the bowel ... OR the needle valve that the float closes is leaking... I'll find a youtube on how to check/repair this... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

Here is a similar briggs.. good step by step...
‪HOW TO CLEAN The Carburetor on BRIGGS & Stratton Quantum Lawnmower Engines‬‏ - YouTube
Check out the second half where he is showing replacing needle and valve...
‪HOW TO CLEAN The Carburetor on BRIGGS & Stratton Quantum Lawnmower Engines‬‏ - YouTube

D

DNHerring

Thanks for the videos. I'll give it a shot and see if that solves the problem. I'll keep you posted!

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Thats the tank that has a tendancy to split. I know, I had to replace mine. I'm not saying the tank split. I'm just saying that's the notorious recall tank.

D

DNHerring

Thats the tank that has a tendancy to split. I know, I had to replace mine. I'm not saying the tank split. I'm just saying that's the notorious recall tank.

From what I can see, the tank doesn't appear to be split. But I'll check it closer when I take off the air filter assembly.

I also checked Briggs and Stratton's website and none of the recalls listed impact my model number. Did you get the recall information from another website? If sot, can you post a link?

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

From what I can see, the tank doesn't appear to be split. But I'll check it closer when I take off the air filter assembly.

I also checked Briggs and Stratton's website and none of the recalls listed impact my model number. Did you get the recall information from another website? If sot, can you post a link?

i couldn't see the split in mine either. It comes apart at the joint between the top and the bottom of the tank, near the top.
I didn't know about the recall until after I replaced the tank, it was under 20$, and I don't think it's still an option anyway.
Tha tank is easy to remove 2-3 bolts, a nut 5/16" nut driver will do it.
MTD made the mower they just use a briggs engine and put the Toro name on it.
How old is the mower

D

DNHerring

Kenny -
Thanks for the video. I followed it step for step and no more gas leak.

I appreciate the help.
Daniel

reddragon

reddragon

what did you find?

K

KennyV

Hey Daniel glad you got it... & I love a video, even a poorly made one will show a lot...
If a video is not available then still pictures are a huge help... :smile:KennyV

D

DNHerring

what did you find?

Some of the gaskets were worn out and the needle seat looked to be in bad shape (which I am assuming caused the float to malfunction). Replaced all the gaskets and the needle and needle seat. Works great with no leaks now.