Gas leak from kohler XT173-0084 HOP (4.8 HP

gdrepairs69

Threads
What would cause gas to leak from this hole in the carburetor until the tank is empty?

possum

Threads
Might want to tell us what hole and where.

Lawnranger

Threads
Might want to tell us what hole and where.

Like possum said it's always nice to get specific information and even a picture, if possible, to help us better help you.

The first thing that comes to mind would be that your needle valve is not sealing properly or the float is sunk. Either way this will cause the fuel to continue to flow from the tank and usually into the crankcase so make sure to check your oil level before starting your engine or you could do major damage. If the oil is over-full you must change the oil before using the engine. Fix the carburetor problem first because if you don't it would be a waste of an oil change.

Let us know what happens.

gdrepairs69

Threads
I m trying to post a picture of this as attachment. from my pc . It was late last night hopefully this one will post the pictures?

Attachments

• Carburetor pic 1.jpg
    Carburetor pic 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SERIAL.jpg
    SERIAL.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the float bowl vent, which leads me to advise you to follow lawnRangers post and replace the float needle and check to see if the float has a hole in it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From your serial number you were included in the carbs that had the faulty plating on the needle valve leading to the needle valve corroding and either sticking open, like in your case, or sticking shut. Depending where you are located, the repair kit, or needle valve may not be available, and will have to replace the entire carb. My Kohler distributor doesn't carry any of the parts, except the complete carb.