Export thread

Gas Cans and Spouts

Ric

Ric

What is everyone doing about gas cans. Anyone have any that work that actually pour gas from spout without pouring more on themselves and the ground than in there mowers? Everything I've found is pure junk. All the reviews I've been reading seems everyone is having the same problems.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I am lucky seeing I have all my old gas cans that were made before the spill proof cans that spill gas all over.

exotion

exotion

What is everyone doing about gas cans. Anyone have any that work that actually pour gas from spout without pouring more on themselves and the ground than in there mowers? Everything I've found is pure junk. All the reviews I've been reading seems everyone is having the same problems.

I have 2 cans an older one its 1 gallon with a solid yellow spout has a cap with a vent hole with a cap for my 2 cycle.

And a 2 gallon one with a spout with a black grip piece where you have to move a knob to the "on" position then press the lever to pour does a good job not spilling but the flow was super slow as the vent was through the spout. I just took a wood screw and made a vent hole with a screw to close it looks bad works good.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

This is what I use for 4-cycle gas (the 5-gal. can) and 2-cycle gas (the small can). They work good.

gas cans.jpg

Ric

Ric

I think everyone missed the point, I want to know where you can buy a gas can that's not pure junk. you can't even buy the spouts that work because they fall apart or leak gas all over the place.

Carscw

Carscw

I think everyone missed the point, I want to know where you can buy a gas can that's not pure junk. you can't even buy the spouts that work because they fall apart or leak gas all over the place.

I don't think you can find a can with a good spout anymore.

All mine are the old ones with the bendable white spout with coke bottles on the spout to keep trash and rain out of them

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

exotion

exotion

Big r here in town sells the ones I use ill take a pic tomorrow

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

Ric, check out a local racing or motor sports store. We use the 5 gallon cans they use for race vehicles. I'll get you a picture tomorrow. I also think you can get the kits at rural king to convert them to the old school cans with a vent on the back. My 2 cycle can still stinks though.

Ric

Ric

I have found these that I'm going to try but they Tractor supply won't have any more until Thursday at least EZ-Pour Universal Replacement Spout Kit - Tractor Supply Online Store
Everything I've tried leaks all over the place, I end up with more on me and the ground than in the tank of the mower or my equipment.

Carscw

Carscw

I have found these that I'm going to try but they Tractor supply won't have any more until Thursday at least EZ-Pour Universal Replacement Spout Kit - Tractor Supply Online Store
Everything I've tried leaks all over the place, I end up with more on me and the ground than in the tank of the mower or my equipment.

That kinda of what I have but white. Well used to be white

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

We fill our mowers on the trailer at the co-op but keep a 5 gallon can for those times when a push mower or something is running low. Our Dixie's will run 9-10 hours with out needing gas. I understand the crappy can thing though. Jegs sells the cans i was telling you about though. They're $50 though but you can fill your ZTRs quick and painless.

exotion

exotion

Here is the one I like its easy to use easy to pour and doesn't make a mess with its easy flow cut off

Attachments

reynoldston

reynoldston

Northern tool & equipment catalog look under fuel and lubrication. What ever your wallet well let you spend will get you what ever you want in fuel filling . You get what you pay for just like anything. I am also sure there are other company's out there that sell fueling equipment also.

BHLC

BHLC

Generic photo, but this is what we use. I believe OSHA requires safety cans too.

Attachments

Ric

Ric

Here is the one I like its easy to use easy to pour and doesn't make a mess with its easy flow cut off

Ok, that's what I used but you can't find that spout anymore, they don't sell it or make it since they came out with the new one.

chobbs1957

chobbs1957

Ok, that's what I used but you can't find that spout anymore, they don't sell it or make it since they came out with the new one.

Is this the new one? I was thinking about buying a couple to add to my cans.
28654.jpg

Polyethylene Funnel from AgriSupply

exotion

exotion

:eek: I just bought that at wal mart at the begining of the season. That sucks

chobbs1957

chobbs1957

I've gotten a little tired of spilling gas when refueling myself. I am scared of spilled gas being a fire hazard.

I can wipe up a lot of the spill, but sometimes am in a hurry, and neither wipe up or much less wait for it to evaporate. I fear that the mower will decide to do a big backfire instead of cranking, and fumes may ignite.

I think I am going to buy a recommended spout or funnel or something to reduce those chances. After monitoring this thread, I'll get something.

I am also going to put a fire extinguisher in the shed! In my work I have seen farmers prevent small flames from becoming major fires when they have had one handy, saving higher dollar equipment than what I run. I have also seen major losses that could have been prevented if a small fire extinguisher had been available and used.

Ric

Ric

:eek: I just bought that at wal mart at the begining of the season. That sucks

Yeah I used to buy them at HD or Auto Zone and they don't have them in stock either place, the guy at AZ said he didn't think they were going to get them again.

BHLC

BHLC

Don't you just love the EPA!!!

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yep, for $10 those spout kits at TSC look like a good ole fashioned leakproof spout and worth every penny. Just like a user said....everything was just fine until the EPA decided they needed to protect the environment and forced the redesign of gas can spouts. Unfortunately, as pointed out, they didn't care that they made it a fire/safety hazard for those using the new-fangled spouts!!!!

reynoldston

reynoldston

Seem to be bashing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). They have a job to do and as I see it our environment is improving. Lets all work with them for a better environment. As I am thinking about it with the old gas cans you never knew when the gas tank was full and it ran all over the ground when you over filled the tank if you didn't watch it very close. I really believe in the EPA and they have a reason for what they do and yes it needs improving but that is how we all learn and you can be sure it will improve with time.

exotion

exotion

Just comes down to more rules and restrictions and people don't want more

djdicetn

djdicetn

Just comes down to more rules and restrictions and people don't want more

It's just like Lamar Alexander told TVA when they tried to keep Tennesseans from fishing the tailwaters below dams....we don't need someone to tell us how to be safe, we already can do that ourselves. If the EPA published "environmentally safe guidelines" we are smart enough to follow them. But I agree that "big business" has to be watched closely or they will pollute just to save a buck. But the EPA kinda goes overboard with a lot of unnecessary stuff(unless you believe Al Gore that the "ozone sky is falling and global warming will make humans extinct").

exotion

exotion

It's just like Lamar Alexander told TVA when they tried to keep Tennesseans from fishing the tailwaters below dams....we don't need someone to tell us how to be safe, we already can do that ourselves. If the EPA published "environmentally safe guidelines" we are smart enough to follow them. But I agree that "big business" has to be watched closely or they will pollute just to save a buck. But the EPA kinda goes overboard with a lot of unnecessary stuff(unless you believe Al Gore that the "ozone sky is falling and global warming will make humans extinct").

They make these rules for a reason... for example here in spokane we are sitting on a giant aquifer which just happens to be our drinking water source if some dimwit dumps oil or antifreeze in their yard or alley a part (albeit a small part) of that oil may make it to our drinking water. So these rules and restrictions are not just made up to annoy they exist because people are just not attentive enough to do it them selves they want spill proof gas cans because someone somewhere had there gas can tip over and a spark or wayward cigarette butt or something ignited it.

They tell you not to fish on the tailwaters because they don't believe you are smart enough to be safe and frankly I agree.

Ric

Ric

Well were going to find out how well the EZ Pour spouts are going to work. I just installed seven with Vent caps and I'm going to be filling everything today. You can purchase these spouts at TSC and Ace Hardware. There a little expensive at Ace $12.99 but they can be ordered on line for as little as $9.99.
If you live in one of the following states: CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, WASHINGTON D.C., DELAWARE, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, or VIRGINIA they are against the law to use, however people in those states can purchase them online as a water spout for there water jugs.:smile:

midnite rider

midnite rider

A_tank96

A_tank96

I use this gas can from TSC and I really like it.

Scepter Gas Can, 5 gal. Capacity, CARB Compliant - Tractor Supply Online Store

I can twist the green knob, turn the can upside down, there is a little hook on the end that goes over the edge of the gas tank, and you push down and it all comes out. No spills at all.

Aaron

djdicetn

djdicetn

Well were going to find out how well the EZ Pour spouts are going to work. I just installed seven with Vent caps and I'm going to be filling everything today. You can purchase these spouts at TSC and Ace Hardware. There a little expensive at Ace $12.99 but they can be ordered on line for as little as $9.99.
If you live in one of the following states: CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, WASHINGTON D.C., DELAWARE, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, or VIRGINIA they are against the law to use, however people in those states can purchase them online as a water spout for there water jugs.:smile:

Be sure to let us know what you think and thanks for posting where you found them. I may get a few myself(I've got one spout I like and have to move it from my gas cans I use for my ZTR, gas trimmer, chainsaw because of the lame new-fangled spouts on the newer ones). Sure am glad I don't live in one of those states where I would be a criminal for using one.......oh, sorry officer I really thought that I had water in that can.....not gasoline:0)

jakewells

jakewells

Be sure to let us know what you think and thanks for posting where you found them. I may get a few myself(I've got one spout I like and have to move it from my gas cans I use for my ZTR, gas trimmer, chainsaw because of the lame new-fangled spouts on the newer ones). Sure am glad I don't live in one of those states where I would be a criminal for using one.......oh, sorry officer I really thought that I had water in that can.....not gasoline:0)

I highly recommend those ez pour spouts i bought three new cans last year and i bought three of those spouts and later on i plan to replace those safety spouts on my blitz cans i got two years ago they are horrible.

Ric

Ric

Well Finally got to try the EZ pour spouts today and NO LEAKS. How long they are going to last is another thing, guess time will tell. The EZ Pour does just like the name says, dispenses gas with out a problem as long as you use the vent that comes with the kit there great and the fuel ends up in tank not on you or the ground. That alone makes them better than anything else I've tried. :thumbsup:

djdicetn

djdicetn

Well Finally got to try the EZ pour spouts today and NO LEAKS. How long they are going to last is another thing, guess time will tell. The EZ Pour does just like the name says, dispenses gas with out a problem as long as you use the vent that comes with the kit there great and the fuel ends up in tank not on you or the ground. That alone makes them better than anything else I've tried. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review....I'll be swinging by the local TSC this weekend:0)

Ric

Ric

Thanks for the review....I'll be swinging by the local TSC this weekend:0)

Takes a half inch drill bit for the vent, gotta be vented :thumbsup:

D

DonCT

I tend to think part of the problem is people trying to outsmart the safety feature.

I got two gas cans at Autozone about 14 or so years ago. Both have the self-sealing "push-in" type spout. I put the spout on the gas filler, place the tab of the nozzle on the outer rim of the filler and push. Voila! Gas flows into the mower. When I pull the spout away from the filler tube, gas stops flowing. Never spilled a drop.

jekjr

jekjr

I have used one of these all year with excellent results.

Ric

Ric

I tend to think part of the problem is people trying to outsmart the safety feature.

I got two gas cans at Autozone about 14 or so years ago. Both have the self-sealing "push-in" type spout. I put the spout on the gas filler, place the tab of the nozzle on the outer rim of the filler and push. Voila! Gas flows into the mower. When I pull the spout away from the filler tube, gas stops flowing. Never spilled a drop.

The problem is not that I'm trying to outsmart the safety features, I just don't want to waste the time messing around with them. The nice thing about the EZ pour spouts is the fact there are NO safety features, just bend the nozzle and pour the gas, No leaks, no spilled gas

T

timlinden

I have used one of these all year with excellent results.

Ironic because I was googling to find a picture of one and found it on a recall site saying it can leak gas. I saw them while buying a mower and think it'll be easier than the current one I have. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the way the handle and spot is angled I can't see how much gas I've put in so I can't stop it before it over flows.

P

Poesmom

This won't answer your question about finding cans that don't leak, but here is an article I stumbled on explaining why we have this problem. As usual, "we're here from the government and we just want to help".

How Government Wrecked the Gas Can | Laissez-Faire Bookstore

Nancy :mad:

F

farris35

Ok here is your solution. Buy a tubless tire valve stem, remove the innards of the valve stem. Drill a 1/2 inch hole where they use to put the vent. Using picture haning wire, pull the valve stem though the hole. I hot glued a ribbon from a baloon to the valve cap and tied it to the can.

Wash out you can to remove any plastic that might have got inside when you drilled the hole.

Fill it up, and now you can pour it out about 5 time faster than you could have before the modification.

Attachments

Ric

Ric

Ok here is your solution. Buy a tubless tire valve stem, remove the innards of the valve stem. Drill a 1/2 inch hole where they use to put the vent. Using picture haning wire, pull the valve stem though the hole. I hot glued a ribbon from a baloon to the valve cap and tied it to the can.

Wash out you can to remove any plastic that might have got inside when you drilled the hole.

Fill it up, and now you can pour it out about 5 time faster than you could have before the modification.

Yeah been there, done that. Unlike the equipment we are using (trimmers, blowers, mowers etc.) the the tubeless valve stems wont stand up to the effects of ethanol gas for very long. I started using these.
003.jpg002.jpg

S

stuckinnj

I use one these fast fill type VP racing gas cans, VP racing fuel containers. Yeah they are a bit expensive, but they last forever and you can put a ballcock type valve on the hose to control flow. My diesel (yellow) can is 9 yrs old. Works like it did when I 1st got it. The gas (red) can is 5 yrs old. It's perfect for my Walk behind and garden tractor. Both have large tanks. The style of the container makes it easy to rest on the handle or steering wheel when filling. For 2 stroke mix, I have one of the early plastic containers without flow control.

Using the fast fill type makes for filling up my JD 4310 tractor and Kubota RTV a dream. You can buy these at Cycle Gear which are just about everywhere these days.

X-man

X-man

That's the same gas can that I have, never had a problem with it. The only time I spill gas is when I don't pay attention (which happens a lot :tongue: ).

exotion

exotion

That's the same gas can that I have, never had a problem with it. The only time I spill gas is when I don't pay attention (which happens a lot :tongue: ).

Ya me to it needed a vent tho so a wood screw is my cap for now

X-man

X-man

Ya me to it needed a vent tho so a wood screw is my cap for now

I never made a vent for mine. Works just fine.

exotion

exotion

I never made a vent for mine. Works just fine.

It does work fine I'm just impatient doesn't fill fast enough

X-man

X-man

It does work fine I'm just impatient doesn't fill fast enough

Lol, yeah true. Takes forever when I use it to fill up my tractor.

djdicetn

djdicetn

This won't answer your question about finding cans that don't leak, but here is an article I stumbled on explaining why we have this problem. As usual, "we're here from the government and we just want to help".

WOW, I could have written that article when on one of my "rants" about ethanol and other EPA-forced mandates:0)
And your reminder of the infamous quote in your last statement brought a smile to this ole consumer advocate kinda guy!!!

Ric

Ric

WOW, I could have written that article when on one of my "rants" about ethanol and other EPA-forced mandates:0)
And your reminder of the infamous quote in your last statement brought a smile to this ole consumer advocate kinda guy!!!

That's a great article and I think what it comes down to is you can find something that works, Gas cans, Pain relievers and other types of medications and so on you wont find it long if the government has there way.

M

moltroub

That's a great article and I think what it comes down to is you can find something that works, Gas cans, Pain relievers and other types of medications and so on you wont find it long if the government has there way.

I'm thinking we're losing usable items due to stupidity and greed -

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/b...of-product-liability.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0[URL="http://http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/business/in-a-shuttered-gasoline-can-factory-the-two-sides-of-product-liability.html

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

Gemplers has a good price on fill rite cans we cannot carry anything othet than type-1 safety cans in Tennessee

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

I would like to know what trimmer line everyone likes the best I have found so far is .90 blue silent twist from shindaiwa

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

Gemplers has a good price on fill rite cans we cannot carry anything othet than type-1 safety cans in Tennessee
I just ordered new fillrite gas can from amazon 37.77 delivered

P

plumtree

EZ Pour is apparently king of the replacement spout market.

jekjr

jekjr

Personally I think that the idiot that required you to have to use the mess that is available should be required to drive a gas guzzler from New York to Los Angeles and the only way he could put gas in it was with one of those cans. It is totally ridicoulas. The Old Blitz Cans were a 1000 times safer than the mess they make you buy now if you get one.

B

bertsmobile1

We can still get the Secpter range down here, not the best but do not spill when you pour if you ignore the fuel that drips off the outside of the funnel that was inside the fuel can

S

Swarf

I know the question was from Florida and I am in the UK, but these One gallon cans must be available there ?
No leaks no spills and cheap. The photoed ones must be about 15 years old and still good. Chris.DSCN0983.jpgDSCN0981.jpgDSCN0982.jpg

B

bertsmobile1

I know the question was from Florida and I am in the UK, but these One gallon cans must be available there ?
No leaks no spills and cheap. The photoed ones must be about 15 years old and still good. Chris.View attachment 39513View attachment 39514View attachment 39515

They have all been banned because if you put the spout on and then knock the can over fuel will spill out.
Also it is pssible if you try hard enough to dribble fuel when you fill.
You need to stock up on those old cans because sooner or later the same laws are going to come into power in the UK.

D

Dadillac

Personally I think that the idiot that required you to have to use the mess that is available should be required to drive a gas guzzler from New York to Los Angeles and the only way he could put gas in it was with one of those cans. It is totally ridicoulas. The Old Blitz Cans were a 1000 times safer than the mess they make you buy now if you get one.

I agree. About two years ago I went on eBay and searched for the old Blitz cans with the pull out spout. Waited until I found like new cans. Bought a 1 gallon and a 2.5 gallon can. Paid about $25 per can but couldn't be happier. I still have an older 5 gallon Blitz can that has a rigid spout but that one works okay.

Don

J

John Fitzgerald

On the new cans, take the cap completely off to pour and use a big funnel.