Fwiw,...steep bank attachment

thehemikid

Threads
:biggrin: .....a quick build to see how well this Idea would work. It did ok for what it is, & I have a better design bouncing around in my head for when I have more time.

Attachments

• Proto 1.jpg
    Proto 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 84

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cute... I have seen something similar done before... It will get to be a big problem at places you need to lift it or turn around...
Definitely post some pictures when you use it... a youtube video would be GREAT... :smile:KennyV

thehemikid

Threads
Cute... I have seen something similar done before... It will get to be a big problem at places you need to lift it or turn around...
Definitely post some pictures when you use it... a youtube video would be GREAT... :smile:KennyV

Yea, ...I saw a lot of limitations to this thing & a few dangers The main bank I made it for is long & strait, & a slow radius forward or backwards works fairly well in bringing the lawnboy out of the ditch. The ditch is not that deep, my 61" deck will do it with one swipe (per side), but having to crab walk the 721 begins to chew tire ruts after about 3 to 4 mows on the steeper side only. It gets to about 28* at one spot & that's where the tire ruts start. So, ...I thought I'd try something different.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is what I use on banks...
7 Foot long and will side trim tree limbs at 90 degrees up & down in a ditch to near 90 degrees... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 50

thehemikid

Threads
I have another bank that I may have to resort to that in order to clean it up, thanks for the Idea.

negcash

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love to see the spirit in people to solve problems, and mowing a short embankment with a mower with pivoting wheels front and back is a problem, how about drilling a hole and pinning the wheels in the back from pivoting might keep it from crab walking (I'll have to try this).

thehemikid

Threads
Thanks for the response, & the Idea, .......hmmmmmmm.....I'm chewing on that now.....well (not meaning to argue, just discussing)....with the weight of the front deck & the weight of me, motor,trans, on the drive tires on a 28* bank its gone'a slide down, (I just happen to be at the bottom of the ditch anyway),..... pinning the rear crazy wheels will not allow me to steer a little to keep the left side of the deck from digging into the bottom of the ditch. I've moved that front left anti-scalp wheel over one hole then drilled another hole, that put the wheel on ~ center line with the side of the deck & that helped some. I wanted to put a anti-scalp at the back on that side but never got around to it. That may have helped, but didn't think that would totally solve the problem.

Even on a 20-25* bank I have to crab just a little or it want stay on course.

Another thing I was concerned about, was not knowing how well the oil pickup is submerged at that angle! Even tho I've watched the oil light ( idiot light ) while mowing at that steep an angle & it didn't come on, I don't put a lot of trust in those.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't recall if I ever mentioned it before...
I was mowing a very steep bank, (actually TOO steep)... in my fully enclosed cab ZTR.... Right wheel on the down side. Everything was going great until I hit a hole with the right wheel... This was on my ditch along the highway. I had mowed it for many years.
This happened next to a culvert that runs under the highway....
I didn't just roll over on the right side... It rolled over and then on down into the washed out ditch.. Put me completely Upside down... very unhandy... broke the roof top warning lights, some glass and beat me up a bit....:frown:

I don't try to mow along any steep incline anymore, unless it is with the sickle mower...& I keep myself & the tractor as level as possible....
Don't try to figure out to the exact tip-over point of your mower... there are things that come up OR break, to change things for you... :smile:KennyV