FrankenCub charging issue...Briggs Intek 21

Gord Baker

Threads
Well, the regulator didn't fix anything. Still just battery voltage. I do have a clamp on ammeter, and it's reading a solid .07 amps. So, I guess I'm at the stator now. Before I throw more parts and money at it, I'm going to swap the flywheel for the one the stator was originally matched with on the ELS 22hp. I guess it's possible that even though they looked the same, there might be a difference in the magnets or something. Just ran the engine for half an hour or so, so it's a little too hot to work on right now. Tomorrow I'll get it swapped out and cross my fingers....
Just Drive it! Boosting from a running vehicle engine can burn out a Stator.

Last edited:

Forest#2

Threads
That stator is burned bad,
You better make sure that the replacement is not overloaded or it will happen again.
Appears you tried a new replacement regulator and still same symptoms of no charge.
I would install a fuse in the regulator output B+ wire until I confirmed it going to be Ok. (not overloaded)

You say you have a clamp on ammeter. Most clamp on ammeters do not read high DC amps which is what you need to read instead of voltage readings. They are for high AC amps.
If the ammeter does not read around 10 DC amps as a clamp on you can get a 20-0-20 DC ammeter for less than $20.

Give us a good report back after you get the flywheel off (sometimes they refuse to come off easily) and the stator replaced.

olscout99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Flywheel is off, stator replaced. For good measure coils cleaned up and tested. But I'm stalled for lack of a flywheel key. New ones supposed to get here today, so hopefully I'll have news by this evening. Normally I have a couple of keys on hand, but of course not when I really needed one.....

Gord Baker

Threads
Hopefully your problems are solved. Lots of good advice here. Proceed carefully. Electricity is Fast!

olscout99

Forum Newbie
Threads
IT LIVES! The new stator did the trick. Just over 14v once it settles in after starting. Apparently the stator was my issue all along. Now I can conclusively say, even if your stator is outputting the required AC voltage, it can still be bad and cause a no charging problem. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I've learned a few things I didn't know and have a few more resources now if I have problems in the future.

Gord Baker

Threads
Well Done Sir. I try to do a good deed and learn something every day. Doesn't always happen but averages out. Check your Oil, clean out your Wallet and buy Wife/GF flowers. Helps your daily odds.