Export thread

First Zero Turn...Looking at Toro/Exmark

P

Point37

<1 acre...~5% slope...would like to speed up the time i spend cutting the lawn which is why i'm looking at a zero turn...have been doing some reading but not a ton...

wants/needs
-needs to have an easily removable bagger
-would like the ability to tow/push a thatcher, spreader, roller and garden cart...wouldn't need these often but i would imagine they don't put tow hitches on zero turns for nothing
-needs 42"-48" fab deck...for maneuverability around obstacles in yard and a better cut with some uneven ground...mower + bagger have to fit through a 6' wide shed door
-needs hydrostatic drive
-wide front tires would be a plus as sometimes my yard gets pretty wet due to the way the water sheds on the property...so while i want well built to last a long time but i don't want commercial heavy
-kawasaki or other 20+hp reliable engine
-has the power to pull in the small branches that fall from the trees in my yard...too many to pick up
-easy deck removal
-easy oil changes

These were the brands on my research list...and i believe i've whittled it down to toro/exmark...

Exmark
Scag
Kubota
Husqvarna
Toro
John Deere
Gravely
Ariens
Bad Boy
Hustler

these are the 2 models i have narrowed it down to...not too sure on the differences between the 2 since toro owns exmark...what do you guys think?...thanks in advance

toro
mx4250 + bagger + weight kit...has arm rests, tow hitch and hour meter
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-mx4250-74760

exmark
quest e series 42 + arm rest kit + bagger +hour meter + weight kit + hitch kit
https://www.exmark.com/products/mowers/zero-turn/quest/quest-e-series?m=QZE708GEM42200

D

Darryl G

Looks like they don't make the Exmark in 42 inch anymore. Leftover unit I guess? The new Quests are a lot different.

You say you want a fabricated deck but both of those units have stamped decks based on the specs I'm looking at. Also the EZT transmission on them isn't the best for towing/hauling stuff around. I can't help but think that you need to upgrade to a more robust machine.

P

Point37

Looks like they don't make the Exmark in 42 inch anymore. Leftover unit I guess? The new Quests are a lot different.

You say you want a fabricated deck but both of those units have stamped decks based on the specs I'm looking at. Also the EZT transmission on them isn't the best for towing/hauling stuff around. I can't help but think that you need to upgrade to a more robust machine.

thanks...but where are you getting the specs from?...i got the specs from the manufacturers websites (which i can't post cause i don't have 5 posts yet)...the quest comes in a 42" and both the quest and the mx4250 have fabricated decks

exmark transmisstion
Two Hydro-Gear ZT2100 hydro static transmissions with no hoses, integrated cooling fans, integrated reservoir.

toro transmission
Dual Hydrostatic HG-ZT2200

wouldn't be towing often...dethatcher maybe once a year, roller maybe once a year (if that), spreader maybe 2-3 times a year and garden cart maybe 4-5 times a year...i don't see any of these items putting any more stress on the transmission than a person that's double my weight

edit: websites with specs added to first post

D

Darryl G

Sorry had the wrong models pulled up. Yeah, looks like they are both fabricated. My bad. The main thing with those transmission is they are not serviceable and prolonged heavy use can cause damage. If you're going to work them try not to do it for extended periods so they don't heat up. Also keep them free of clippings/debris.

Looks like they both have the relatively new proprietary Toro/Exmark engines on them. Initial reports on them are pretty good but reliability is still largely up in the air IMO. I'm sure they did their research and testing though.

In summary, they look like pretty similar machines and should do what you want, but I'd suggest the Toro over the Exmark mainly because of the heavier duty 2200 vs the 2100 transmission.

P

Point37

Sorry had the wrong models pulled up. Yeah, looks like they are both fabricated. My bad. The main thing with those transmission is they are not serviceable and prolonged heavy use can cause damage. If you're going to work them try not to do it for extended periods so they don't heat up. Also keep them free of clippings/debris.

Looks like they both have the relatively new proprietary Toro/Exmark engines on them. Initial reports on them are pretty good but reliability is still largely up in the air IMO. I'm sure they did their research and testing though.

In summary, they look like pretty similar machines and should do what you want, but I'd suggest the Toro over the Exmark mainly because of the heavier duty 2200 vs the 2100 transmission.

thanks for the input...yea i'm not looking to tow a lot...heaviest thing would be maybe the roller with some water or a little trailer of firewood here and there...at what model level do they become serviceable?

edit: looks like the quest s series and mx5050 has 2800 transmissions which would be serviceable but also a much larger deck...i guess i should find out how wide one of these is with the bagging system on it

D

Darryl G

The hydro-gear 2800 unit is the lowest serviceable unit. It's a good step up price wise to a unit with one of those I think. You'd have to check the mower specs. For your use it's probably not necessary. The 2100/2200 units are OK. You can actually service them but it requires removal of the unit.

Here...the EZT is the ZT-2200. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/26680-HydroGear-EZT-Transaxle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdR7kGvRU10

C

cruzenmike

Ariens Ikon XL 42 and Gravely ZT XL 42 will have your 42" deck, ZT-2800s and fabricated deck. They are 3 blade decks but I hear they give one hell of a cut.

P

Point37

The hydro-gear 2800 unit is the lowest serviceable unit. It's a good step up price wise to a unit with one of those I think. You've have to check the mower specs. For your use it's probably not necessary. The 2100/2200 units are OK. You can actually service them but it requires removal of the unit.

Here...the EZT is the ZT-2200. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/26680-HydroGear-EZT-Transaxle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdR7kGvRU10

thanks...this would be the step up to get to a 2800...i hate throw away items but you're probably right, i probably won't need it...but if they can be removed and cracked open and serviced after watching a youtube video i'm sure i could handle that...living in the northeast the mower only sees seasonal use...grass in the spring and grass and leaves in the fall...summer the lawn is roasted anyway so i'm not sure i would need to go to a 2800

toro
mx4200 2100 transmission
mx4250 2200 transmission
mx5000 2200 transmission
mx5025 kawasaki 2200 transmission
mx5050 better 2800 transmission

exmark
quest e series 42 2100 transmission
quest s series 50 better 2800 transmission

scag
liberty z 21hp kawasaki 48 better 2800 transmission

kubota
s100 kommander r 42 2200 transmission
s100 kommander e or s 48 better 2800 transmission

gravely
ztx 42 kohler 2200 transmission
ztxl 42 kawasaki better 2800 transmission powered bagger available

ariens
ikon xl 42 kohler better 2800 transmission powered bagger available

P

Point37

Ariens Ikon XL 42 and Gravely ZT XL 42 will have your 42" deck, ZT-2800s and fabricated deck. They are 3 blade decks but I hear they give one hell of a cut.

you beat me to it haha...thanks for the info

D

Darryl G

As far as serviceable vs not I was referring to the ability to change the fluid and filter. The 2100/2200 require removal. The 2800 and up models do not. To be honest, I rarely service my serviceable units. The only time I did on my Exmark walk-behind was when I blew a hydro hose and once on my Lazer around 500 hours. The Exmarks have a different hydro system though with the separate pump and wheel motors. I had the dealer service the 3400 transmission on my new Bob-Cat for warranty reasons - Dealer service is required to extend the warranty from 2 to 3 years.

P

Point37

As far as serviceable vs not I was referring to the ability to change the fluid and filter. The 2100/2200 require removal. The 2800 and up models do not. To be honest, I rarely service my serviceable units. The only time I did on my Exmark walk-behind was when I blew a hydro hose and once on my Lazer around 500 hours. The Exmarks have a different hydro system though with the separate pump and wheel motors. I had the dealer service the 3400 transmission on my new Bob-Cat for warranty reasons - Dealer service is required to extend the warranty from 2 to 3 years.

thanks again...good info...so as long as they don't leak you're good to go...
http://www.hydro-gear.com/ee81c32b71_sites/hydro-gear.com/files/BLN-52622_P12.pdf

D

Darryl G

Brings us to one more thing. A bagger. There are basically 5 types. 1) A grass catcher that sits on the side of the mower and catches the grass as it comes out the discharge. Quick and easy on/off, limited capacity and tends to blow dust and debris in your face, although some units can be equipped with filters. 2) Rear-mounted bagger that's basically a grass catcher but mounted on the rear of the mower. The problem is that they rely only on the discharge velocity to get up the chute and into the bagger and can easily clog, depending on conditions. Many find them to be infuriating for bagging grass but acceptable for leaves. 3) Spindle-driven unit powered by an impeller. Work well but draw power off the mower, are a bit more complicated to put on/remove, much more expensive and not available for all mowers 4) Mower-mounted rear bagger that has its own pony motor. Expensive and availability is generally limited to commercial mowers. 5) Trailing bagger with its own pony motor. Expensive and clumsy, but large volume and work well, especially for large volumes of leaves. To complicate things further, some mower-mounted rear units take bags that need to be manually emptied and others can be dumped from the seat.

Then there's mulch kits, chute blocking systems, and discharging with mulching blades (mostly what I do).

Just thought I'd toss this out as it may play into your mower choice. The standard residential options for bagging are typically the side catcher or the non-powered rear bagger. Personally I'd never want a non-powered rear bagger.

Opinions will vary, these are just mine.

P

Point37

Brings us to one more thing. A bagger. There are basically 5 types. 1) A grass catcher that sits on the side of the mower and catches the grass as it comes out the discharge. Quick and easy on/off, limited capacity and tends to blow dust and debris in your face, although some units can be equipped with filters. 2) Rear-mounted bagger that's basically a grass catcher but mounted on the rear of the mower. The problem is that they rely only on the discharge velocity to get up the chute and into the bagger and can easily clog, depending on conditions. Many find them to be infuriating for bagging grass but acceptable for leaves. 3) Spindle-driven unit powered by an impeller. Work well but draw power off the mower, are a bit more complicated to put on/remove, much more expensive and not available for all mowers 4) Mower-mounted rear bagger that has its own pony motor. Expensive and availability is generally limited to commercial mowers. 5) Trailing bagger with its own pony motor. Expensive and clumsy, but large volume and work well, especially for large volumes of leaves. To complicate things further, some mower-mounted rear units take bags that need to be manually emptied and others can be dumped from the seat.

Then there's mulch kits, chute blocking systems, and discharging with mulching blades (mostly what I do).

Just thought I'd toss this out as it may play into your mower choice. The standard residential options for bagging are typically the side catcher or the non-powered rear bagger. Personally I'd never want a non-powered rear bagger.

Opinions will vary, these are just mine.

initially i wanted a powered bagger but i decided against it to keep the price down and like you said they are not available for a lot of models so i was going to opt for the non powered rear bagger...i do have to deal with leaves and i am not able to cut my lawn as often as i'd like so it can get long at times so i feel like i'd just be making a mess with a mulching system so i need some type of bagger...i don't want a side bagger cause i don't want to add to the width for maneuverability around obstacles...don't want a trailing bagger and i'm sure like you said the version with the motor in the back is probably not available for anything on my list ...i wonder if any on my revised list have the option for a powered bagger...i think the gravely ztxl and the ariens does but i think that's it and i'm not sure how good it is

C

cruzenmike

initially i wanted a powered bagger but i decided against it to keep the price down and like you said they are not available for a lot of models so i was going to opt for the non powered rear bagger...i do have to deal with leaves and i am not able to cut my lawn as often as i'd like so it can get long at times so i feel like i'd just be making a mess with a mulching system so i need some type of bagger...i don't want a side bagger cause i don't want to add to the width for maneuverability around obstacles...don't want a trailing bagger and i'm sure like you said the version with the motor in the back is probably not available for anything on my list ...i wonder if any on my revised list have the option for a powered bagger...i think the gravely ztxl and the ariens does but i think that's it and i'm not sure how good it is

If bagging is something you want to do, a 2 blade deck, 42" or 46" is your best choice. They typically will not require a power flow type system. Anything three blade will require a blower unless the mower/deck was specifically designed to work without one. Also, the smaller the deck, the smaller the bagger in some cases. I have a compact zero turn that has absolutely small bags. I would have to empty after every two 80' passes in the fall.

D

Darryl G

Gravely/Ariens look nice but price is gonna be getting up there with a powered bagger. Can't find a price for bagger assembly (just parts) but think you'd be over $6k for the ZT XL with bagger after tax? Lot of money to spend for a lawn that size. Not my money, but still. I think your original Toro choice is a good one based on what I know now. You'll get used to what the bagger can and can't do. If the lawn got away from you it wouldn't be that big of a deal to cut it, let it dry out and then go back over it to bag it.

I didn't check the Ariens but Gravely only has 1/2 inch cutting height adjustment increments. 1/4 inch is kind of standard...bit odd. Wouldn't call it a deal killer, but not ideal.

P

Point37

If bagging is something you want to do, a 2 blade deck, 42" or 46" is your best choice. They typically will not require a power flow type system. Anything three blade will require a blower unless the mower/deck was specifically designed to work without one. Also, the smaller the deck, the smaller the bagger in some cases. I have a compact zero turn that has absolutely small bags. I would have to empty after every two 80' passes in the fall.

Gravely/Ariens look nice but price is gonna be getting up there with a powered bagger. Can't find a price for bagger assembly (just parts) but think you'd be over $6k for the ZT XL with bagger after tax? Lot of money to spend for a lawn that size. Not my money, but still. I think your original Toro choice is a good one based on what I know now. You'll get used to what the bagger can and can't do. If the lawn got away from you it wouldn't be that big of a deal to cut it, let it dry out and then go back over it to bag it.

I didn't check the Ariens but Gravely only has 1/2 inch cutting height adjustment increments. 1/4 inch is kind of standard...bit odd. Wouldn't call it a deal killer, but not ideal.

thanks again fellas...i def think a non powered bagger is going to be the best way to go for me...the other thing i was wondering is the toro mx4250 and the toro mx6050 both have the same engine but one model has a 42" deck and 2 blades and the other has a 60" deck with 3 blades...was the engine designed for the larger mower and thrown in the smaller mower or vice versa?...basically will the 42 do a better job than the 60 due having to spin 1 less blade and less drag from that extra blade from the resistance of the grass?...basically less likely to bog down in high grass?...i know that's the case for snow blowers...you have 2 different size blower buckets but the same engine...the smaller bucket will work better and bog down less...so i'm back to my original 2 choices...and leaning towards the toro for the better transmission and including some of the items that would have to be added on the exmark...i guess i'll have to see if i can find one of them to check out around here...i'd like to see what the maintenance looks like as well as how easy it is to drop the deck

toro
mx4250 2200 transmission + bagger + weight kit...has arm rests, tow hitch and hour meter

exmark
quest e series 42 2100 transmission + arm rest kit + bagger +hour meter + weight kit + hitch kit

C

cruzenmike

In theory, the 42" with a more powerful engine will do much better in adverse mowing conditions such as damp or tall grass as the engine's power will be able to muscle through the clippings under the deck. As for giving a "better cut" it all depends on factors like air flow, blade tip speed and other things. My SS4225 with 22hp and two blades cut well, but I mowed slow which also helps. The shared engine has more to do with them using their own engine across an entire product line. Prior to that you may have seem the same Kohler in both mowers. The MX series of mowers are a good step up from the SS models.

P

Point37

In theory, the 42" with a more powerful engine will do much better in adverse mowing conditions such as damp or tall grass as the engine's power will be able to muscle through the clippings under the deck. As for giving a "better cut" it all depends on factors like air flow, blade tip speed and other things. My SS4225 with 22hp and two blades cut well, but I mowed slow which also helps. The shared engine has more to do with them using their own engine across an entire product line. Prior to that you may have seem the same Kohler in both mowers. The MX series of mowers are a good step up from the SS models.

thanks...that's what i was thinking...should bog down less with a smaller deck area and 1 less blade but having the same engine than the larger model...i understand the need for uniformity but i was just curious if it was designed around the largest mower in the line and used in the smaller ones...that's what i would assume

P

Point37

after doing some review reading on mowers direct it seems that the timecutter series has issues with their electronic parking brake...found a bunch of videos about it on youtube about it...the exmark has a lever actuated pawl brake but the transmssions are only hg2100s...vs the 2200s on the toro 4250...i wonder what the differences are between these 2 transmissions...also looks like the deck left is a hand lever vs a pedal on the toro...which i like about the toro...but it may be time to change my choice over to exmark or step up a little

https://www.mowersdirect.com/Toro-74721-Lawn-Mower/p15362.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZRN-Jn4JE

D

Darryl G

The 2100 is light duty with 3/4 axle and the 2200 has 1 inch and is heavier duty. I don't even see the 2100 on the manufacturer's product list. Discontinued? http://www.hydro-gear.com/residential/

P

Point37

The 2100 is light duty with 3/4 axle and the 2200 has 1 inch and is heavier duty. I don't even see the 2100 on the manufacturer's product list. Discontinued? http://www.hydro-gear.com/residential/

i noticed that as well...but its still being installed on the quest?...now i'm not sure i want to go with either of them and bump to a 2800 transmission for longevity

https://www.exmark.com/products/mowers/zero-turn/quest/quest-e-series?m=QZE708GEM42200

P

Point37

now i'm looking at the following (prices for each mower are just what i could find on the internet via google, not sure of exact prices):

-exmark quest e series 42 $3300 (hg2100) (non powered bagger)
-toro mx4250 $3600 (hg2200) (non powered bagger)
-kubota z122r 42 $4355 (hg2200) (non powered bagger)

-ariens ikon xl 42 $3800 (hg2800) (doesn't seem like there is a bagger available)
-gravely zt xl 42 $4100 (hg2800) (powered bagger)
-scag liberty z 36 $4000 (hg2800) (non powered bagger)

now leaning towards the gravely at the moment or just going with my original choice of the toro and just hope the parking brake module doesn't malfunction

D

Darryl G

Although I love Exmark mowers I'd eliminate the Quest due to the 2100 transmission.

P

Point37

Although I love Exmark mowers I'd eliminate the Quest due to the 2100 transmission.

i feel like the quest is out as well as the ariens due to not having a bagger and the scag due to the small deck...the gravely looks much better than the toro to me due to the better transmissions and the powered bagger plus not having to worry about the toro auto brake module failing...not sure about reliability of either one

D

Darryl G

Oh, didn't notice the Liberty was a 36. Yeah, that's pretty small. ZTR with a deck that small is kind of silly IMO.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I will not mow them but I have been called out to bid 2-acre lot with a 40" gate.

D

Darryl G

I will not mow them but I have been called out to bid 2-acre lot with a 40" gate.

Yeah, might be useful as a gated area machine but overall utility is greatly diminished IMO.

To the OP: Have you checked the price on the Gravely bagger? Vacuum baggers can be pretty pricey. And note that often the bagger and "deck kit" are separate items and that there's usually a bit to the first-time installation of the bagger unit.

P

Point37

Yeah, might be useful as a gated area machine but overall utility is greatly diminished IMO.

To the OP: Have you checked the price on the Gravely bagger? Vacuum baggers can be pretty pricey. And note that often the bagger and "deck kit" are separate items and that there's usually a bit to the first-time installation of the bagger unit.

i have to do some more research or go to a dealer to find out...i would like to know if i can buy a regular bagger and add the vac at a later time by just removing the parts that attach to the deck...i'd much rather buy a little better so i don't have to work on it as much but i also don't want to overspend for what i need...trying to find that sweet spot is proving to be the tough thing for me

P

Point37

what about a Ferris IS 600Z?...they have a 44" deck option with a 25hp 724cc B&S commercial series engine or a 18.5hp 603cc kawasaki fs600v engine...the next smallest i can find on their website is a 36" and the next largest is a 48"...probably much more expensive than my other options...
https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/zero-turn-mowers/is-600z-zero-turn-mowers.html

edit: doesn't look like there is a bagger available for the 44" deck...i'll have to ask and find out...maybe the website is wrong

https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_us/products/attachments-and-accessories/collection-systems.html

P

Point37

i posted a question on the ferris website and it said that they had 2 bagger options for the 44" deck...looks like they updated their website after i asked...i just don't understand how the B&s engine is 25 hp and the kawasaki is 18.5 hp...kind of a big difference

i do feel like the ferris is going to be overkill for what i need to do but i do feel like it would last a lot longer than some of my residential choices...it's also pretty heavy

K

Kevin999

Toro the best!!!

P

Point37

i've changed my mind so many times due to learning so much just reading on here...here are the models i'm looking at now...have to fit through a 6' wide door with bagger attached, would like to keep the weight down and the wheels wide cause my yard gets wet...from the below choices i really am only considering 3 due to better transmissions...the gravely, ariens and the ferris...from my research the ferris is much heavier than the gravely/ariens...and the gravely has a kawasaki engine option so i'm leaning towards the gravely right now

*ARIENS Ikon XL 42" (HG2800 + KOHLER + POWERED BAGGER)
EXMARK QUEST E SERIES 42" (HG2100 + EXMARK + BAGGER)
*GRAVELY ZT XL 42"* (HG 2800 + KAWASAKI + POWERED BAGGER)
HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)
SCAG LIBERTY Z 36" (HG2800 + KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
*FERRIS IS 600Z 44" (HG3400 + KAWASAKI OR B&S + POWERED BAGGER)
BAD BOY MZ 42" (? + KOHLER + BAGGER OR POWERED BAGGER)
HUSTLER RAPTOR 42" (HG2200 + KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
KUBOTA Z122R 42" (HG2200 + KUBOTA + BAGGER)

P

Point37

thanks...i def like the mower, kawasaki engine, same transmissions as the gravely, dealer isn't too far away from me either...but no rear bagger available on the 42" crz...looks like the next 42" deck is in the fast cat pro se and that has a bagger available...but i really don't trust all the info on their website...for the fast cat pro se they offer a 36" deck and a 42" deck but the photos show it with a 48" deck...their bagging system also doesn't say which models it's compatible with...going to put it on the list to check out and maybe a dealer can tell me or maybe i will email them

*GRAVELY ZT XL 42"* (HG 2800 + FRV-TWIN 21.5HP KAWASAKI + POWERED BAGGER)
*ARIENS Ikon XL 42" (HG2800 + 7000 VTWIN KOHLER 22HP + POWERED BAGGER)
*FERRIS IS 600Z 44" (HG3400 + FS 600V 18.5HP KAWASAKI OR B&S + POWERED BAGGER)
*BOBCAT CRZ 42" (HG2800 + FR 651V 18.8HP KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)

SCAG LIBERTY Z 36" (HG2800 + FR600 18HP KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + 24.5HP TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
EXMARK QUEST E SERIES 42" (HG2100 + 24.5HP EXMARK + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)
BAD BOY MZ 42" (HG2200 + 22HP KOHLER PRO 7000 + BAGGER OR POWERED BAGGER)
HUSTLER RAPTOR 42" (HG2200 + FR651 21.5HP KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
KUBOTA Z122R 42" (HG2200 + 21.5HP KUBOTA + BAGGER)

D

Darryl G

I've noticed some inconsistencies in Bob-Cat's literature myself. They seem to update it piecemeal. But yeah seems like they just have the dump-from-seat side catcher for the CRZ. Just thought I'd throw that one out there to confuse you some more, lol.

P

Point37

I've noticed some inconsistencies in Bob-Cat's literature myself. They seem to update it piecemeal. But yeah seems like they just have the dump-from-seat side catcher for the CRZ. Just thought I'd throw that one out there to confuse you some more, lol.

greatly appreciated lol...i'll probably ask anyway just in case they are just very disorganized

found this though but not for the 42"...
https://store.eastcoastlumber.net/products/peco-powered-bagger-for-crz-xrz|23120910.html

P

Point37

had to edit my list to show engines and horsepower numbers so i could compare...a few of these are a little low in the HP dept...maybe i should be looking up torque numbers on each too

better transmission choices...

lower level transmission choices...
*TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + 24.5HP TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
*HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER)

other conisderations...
ARIENS Ikon XL 42" (HG2800 + 7000 VTWIN KOHLER 22HP + POWERED BAGGER)
BOBCAT CRZ 42" (HG2800 + FR 651V 18.8HP KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)

i keep updating this thread so i can keep track of what i'm thinking lol

D

Darryl G

had to edit my list to show engines and horsepower numbers so i could compare...a few of these are a little low in the HP dept...maybe i should be looking up torque numbers on each too

*HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER)

other conisderations...

i keep updating this thread so i can keep track of what i'm thinking lol

I don't how to assist further except to point out that in my opinion it's as much about the mower as it is the dealer. I've been perfectly happy with my Exmarks and the dealer that I've been using for several years (my original one closed) but they're 20 miles away and they don't sell/service any other equipment I have. The Bob-Cat dealer is less than 5 miles from my house and is exceptional. My experience with them with my Shindaiwa and Echo handheld equipment has always been excellent. So I went with the excellent convenient dealer and what they sell = Bob-Cat. I considered a Scag but I don't like the dealer and they store their machines outdoors for extended periods of time. I have 2002 and 2003 machines that have never spent the night outdoors uncovered. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a brand new machine that's been sitting outdoors unprotected for months.

Personally I like the smaller shops with a handful of employees over the bigger dealers. Things seem to fall through the cracks less often and I can build a relationship with them more easily. The owner of the Bob-Cat shop is the lead mechanic, and is always cordial and helpful. They will literally drop what they're doing when a broken machine comes in and fix it on the trailer if they can.

P

Point37

I don't how to assist further except to point out that in my opinion it's as much about the mower as it is the dealer. I've been perfectly happy with my Exmarks and the dealer that I've been using for several years (my original one closed) but they're 20 miles away and they don't sell/service any other equipment I have. The Bob-Cat dealer is less than 5 miles from my house and is exceptional. My experience with them with my Shindaiwa and Echo handheld equipment has always been excellent. So I went with the excellent convenient dealer and what they sell = Bob-Cat. I considered a Scag but I don't like the dealer and they store their machines outdoors for extended periods of time. I have 2002 and 2003 machines that have never spent the night outdoors uncovered. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a brand new machine that's been sitting outdoors unprotected for months.

Personally I like the smaller shops with a handful of employees over the bigger dealers. Things seem to fall through the cracks less often and I can build a relationship with them more easily. The owner of the Bob-Cat shop is the lead mechanic, and is always cordial and helpful. They will literally drop what they're doing when a broken machine comes in and fix it on the trailer if they can.

thanks again...you've given me so much info...the dealer proximity is definitely on my list but not high cause none of them are very close now that my in-town dealer closed...that's a good point about new machines sitting outside...i didn't think of that...i would hope that during repairs it would be stored inside...

1 closest dealer to me is 11 miles away and carries bobcat...this is a small place that i think focuses more on repairs/sales for earth moving equipment...i don't see any mowers stored outside on google maps aerial/street view but i don't think that is a main source of income for them...don't think i could test out machines here, probably more of a pick what you want from a book and we put it together and you take it home

2 next closest dealer to me is 15 miles away and carries bad boy, ferris, jonsered, simplicity, snapper, toro, troy-bilt and wright...this is a small place that i think focuses more on repairs...i don't see anything stored outside on google maps aerial/street view...but that doesn't mean much...don't think i could test out machines here, probably more of a pick what you want from a book and we put it together and you take it home

3 next closest dealer to me is 21 miles away and carries ariens, exmark, scag, husqvarna, toro, walker and wright...this is also a small place that i think focuses more on repairs...i do see a few pieces of equipment stored outside on google maps aerial/street view...those may be for donor parts...they have a gated yard...i have a buddy that i believe used to work here so i will have to ask him...don't think i could test out machines here, probably more of a pick what you want from a book and we put it together and you take it home

4 next closest dealer is 26 miles away and carries cub cadet, exmark, gravely, husqvarna, kubota, toro, walker and wright...this is a big dealer who has machines outside...not sure if they bring them all in at the end of the day but i doubt it...this is a place i could go to test out machines

5 next closest dealer is 31 miles away and carries ariens, exmark, gravely, husqvarna and scag...i'd say this is a medium place that does store some outside under the building overhang...i probably could test machines out here but it would be a limited selection

husqvarna, toro and exmark are offered at 3 of the dealers so i have options there...ariens, gravely and scag at 2 of the dealers

i'd rather buy from 2 or 3 as they are closer and carry a few brands...but i may go to 4 to test some machines first and then buy from 1 or 2 (depending on brand)...there is also the option to go to mowers direct for certain brands and have it delivered to my house but only if the price is substantially less since transportation isn't easy as i would have to borrow a trailer from a friend but at the same time i have to assemble parts of it myself and if things aren't adjusted correctly then either i have to figure it out or bring it to a dealer and pay them...the other option is buying used on craigslist which i would only do if i was buying one of my higher level transmission choices with low hours or something i found at a good deal (see my CL finds below)

i feel like if you don't buy the machine from that dealer they don't put you very high on their priority list to get your machine fixed...but i also feel like if you're not a commercial user who has that dealer fix all your machines then you also would get bumped for the commercial guys anyway...my best bet would be buying from 1 or 2 but that takes gravely out of the picture and if one of those dealers closes the doors well then i'm kind of screwed if the next closest guy doesn't service that brand then i have to go farther away...either way i plan to do most of the maintenance myself and buy parts online...so oil changes not requiring a ton of extra work are a must

for me i guess it really comes down to the width of the mower with the bagger attached...if i can get through a 6' wide door with a 48" deck mower with a bagger (maybe powered) that opens up my choices greatly but i really don't think i need a machine that big...it also makes the machine heavier and i have a wet yard at times which could rut...also harder to fit where i need it to like between my shed and fence...i guess it also depends on if a mulching kit can handle the longer grass i have to cut from time to time without sending clumps all over the yard (don't want my dogs eating the clumps)

48" decks
https://southcoast.craigslist.org/grd/d/2017-exmark-radius-48/6545899345.html
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/d/ferris-is600z/6544198708.html
https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/d/2015-ferris-1500z/6543779096.html
https://providence.craigslist.org/grd/d/like-new-48-gravely-zero/6511161854.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)

other considerations...

P

Point37

well i think the ferris is out just due to the weight of the unit plus the low hp kawasaki engine and the fact that it's somewhat of an exotic brand as only 1 of 5 dealers around me carries it...after the advice from Darryl G i'm on the fence about removing the gravely as well just due to the 2 dealers that carry it are the farthest ones from me and the unit is probably going to be the most expensive of the 3 remaining but i plan to get a price and take one for a spin if i can...i like the husqvarna over the toro just due to the wider front tires and the kawasaki engine and i also know of 4 other smaller shops that will service husqvarnas that are closer to me so i have a feeling that's the way i'm going to go...not sure which dealer i would buy it from though...we'll see how it goes after the test rides...could totally change my mind again haha...thanks to everyone who contributed to helping me out...i'm an engineer so i tend to analyze things quite a bit and gather as much information as i can before i make a decision

D

Darryl G

Sounds like you're getting close to a decision...which is usually when you reach the point when you're just tired of comparing specs and so confused that you just make a spur of the moment decision and buy something to get it all over with, lol.

Ferris is actually a fairly major brand that has been around a long time. I considered one before I bought my Lazer back in 2003 but decided against a suspension system due to the many reports of scalping and problems with the suspension system. I don't see many Ferris machines around here. It's mostly Exmark, Scag and Bob-Cat as far as the commercial cutters go with some Grasshoppers as well.

P

Point37

Sounds like you're getting close to a decision...which is usually when you reach the point when you're just tired of comparing specs and so confused that you just make a spur of the moment decision and buy something to get it all over with, lol.

Ferris is actually a fairly major brand that has been around a long time. I considered one before I bought my Lazer back in 2003 but decided against a suspension system due to the many reports of scalping and problems with the suspension system. I don't see many Ferris machines around here. It's mostly Exmark, Scag and Bob-Cat as far as the commercial cutters go with some Grasshoppers as well.

yea it's definitely getting to that point lol...i meant ferris is just somewhat exotic for my location...there just aren't many dealers close to me that carry/service them...add on the heavy weight/higher cost/low hp engine and it's easy to toss this one...i heard issues with bushings wearing out as well on the suspension system...the other 3 i think i'm going to have to try...i like the gravely the best the toro the second best and the husqvarna last...the only reason i flip flopped the toro and husky is just cause toro/exmark seems to be a big commercial use brand, more so than husky so i figured it would be better although i do like the wider tires of the husky

BlazNT

BlazNT

yea it's definitely getting to that point lol...i meant ferris is just somewhat exotic for my location...there just aren't many dealers close to me that carry/service them...add on the heavy weight/higher cost/low hp engine and it's easy to toss this one...i heard issues with bushings wearing out as well on the suspension system...the other 3 i think i'm going to have to try...i like the gravely the best the toro the second best and the husqvarna last...the only reason i flip flopped the toro and husky is just cause toro/exmark seems to be a big commercial use brand, more so than husky so i figured it would be better although i do like the wider tires of the husky

The reason Husqvarna is not mowed commercially like the others is its lower price. People think you always get what you pay for so it's lower price makes people think it is cheap. If you compare price to performance then Husqvarna beats them all the time. They are well made and will last a very long time. My brother runs one and so do 4 other companies here in my town. They are the companies making the most money with way lower overhead. Do not let the lower price scare you away.

D

Darryl G

Gravely makes nice machines and you get a lot for the money. The only thing I don't like about Gravely in that on some of the machines at least, the deck height adjusts in 1/2 inch increments instead of the 1/4 inch increments that most others use. I don't know about the one you're looking at. It's not a huge deal I guess, my walk-behind only has 1/2 inch increments and I make do with it.

P

Point37

The reason Husqvarna is not mowed commercially like the others is its lower price. People think you always get what you pay for so it's lower price makes people think it is cheap. If you compare price to performance then Husqvarna beats them all the time. They are well made and will last a very long time. My brother runs one and so do 4 other companies here in my town. They are the companies making the most money with way lower overhead. Do not let the lower price scare you away.

Gravely makes nice machines and you get a lot for the money. The only thing I don't like about Gravely in that on some of the machines at least, the deck height adjusts in 1/2 inch increments instead of the 1/4 inch increments that most others use. I don't know about the one you're looking at. It's not a huge deal I guess, my walk-behind only has 1/2 inch increments and I make do with it.

thanks guys...i guess i'm really trying to weigh out my options and looking for what i like as well as design flaws at this point...hoping to ride all 3 of them soon...i think i'm really between husky and toro at this point but i'll reserve judgement until i take them all for a spin...if i could get the toro with wider front tires i think i would be going toro

-transmissions (gravely>toro/husqvarna)
-dealer proximity (toro>husqvarna>gravely)
-non powered bagger (depends if there are any clogging issues, but probably going to get a sweeper for the leaves and sticks)
-2 vs 3 blades (gravely 3, toro/husqvarna 2)
-towing capacity
-trailer hitch (toro standard, gravely/husqvarna add on)
-# of deck positions (gravely 13>toro 7>husqvarna 6)
-weight (toro 550>husqvarna 630>gravely 661)
-tire width (mostly front tires) (husqvarna/gravely 6">toro 4")
-autobrake (don't like) (gravely>toro/husqvarna)
-cost (husqvarna>toro>gravely)
-warranty
-arm rests (toro/gravely standard, husqvarna add on)
-seat comfort/ride
-ease of oil changes
-tracking (straightness of ride)

~$4100
GRAVELY ZT-XL 42"* (HG 2800 + FRV-TWIN 21.5HP KAWASAKI + POWERED OR NON POWERED BAGGER + TRAILER HITCH)
https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/gravely-zt-xl

~$3600
TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + 24.5HP TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-mx4250-74760

~$2800
HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER + ARMRESTS + TRAILER HITCH + AUTOBRAKE)
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/z242f/967271801/

BlazNT

BlazNT

Have you looked at the MZ series of Husqvarna? It is called Semi-professional. They offer 3100 drives and 6" caster wheels. Kohler7000 or Kawasaki Engine. A new Deck called Clear Cut. They start at $4649 and go to $4699 unless you want 61" deck. The only problem I see is the smallest deck is 48" and you seem to want 42" deck. Link to the web site:
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/

P

Point37

Have you looked at the MZ series of Husqvarna? It is called Semi-professional. They offer 3100 drives and 6" caster wheels. Kohler7000 or Kawasaki Engine. A new Deck called Clear Cut. They start at $4649 and go to $4699 unless you want 61" deck. The only problem I see is the smallest deck is 48" and you seem to want 42" deck. Link to the web site:
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/

I did but I’d like to stay smaller on the deck side...it also looks like the 48” deck doesn’t have a Kawasaki engine as an option...plus I have a 6’ wide shed door to get into with the bagger installed...trying to save some space to move around in there so I like the idea of the 42” deck to leave some clearance to get in the door as well...there really isn’t anywhere that i can find that has the machine width measurement with the bagger installed

BlazNT

BlazNT

I normally do not help with people getting a Mower. I hate throwing in my .02 worth in because everyone has an idea of what is the best. But I can tell you that the only engine that Kawasaki makes that is worth the extra money is the FX series. The rest are no better than any other. Everyone likes to jump on brand names and say they are the best and that is what all manufacturers want. Build a good something till the name is sought after then make cheaper stuff and sell the crap out of it. When you are dealing with not the top of the line stuff it is all about the same. If I was looking in the range of stuff Husqvarna has one with a Briggs and Stratton with more horsepower I would get. I know you need small deck size so they are out of the running. You should not be afraid of Kohler or Briggs either. I just sold my 2007 Husqvarna that I mowed with commercially to my son. That Kohler engine is still running like it is brand new. Keep it clean inside and out and it will last a long time.

D

Darryl G

I need to take the powered bagger impeller units off both of my Z mowers to get them into my shed. It's really not a big deal.

P

Point37

I normally do not help with people getting a Mower. I hate throwing in my .02 worth in because everyone has an idea of what is the best. But I can tell you that the only engine that Kawasaki makes that is worth the extra money is the FX series. The rest are no better than any other. Everyone likes to jump on brand names and say they are the best and that is what all manufacturers want. Build a good something till the name is sought after then make cheaper stuff and sell the crap out of it. When you are dealing with not the top of the line stuff it is all about the same. If I was looking in the range of stuff Husqvarna has one with a Briggs and Stratton with more horsepower I would get. I know you need small deck size so they are out of the running. You should not be afraid of Kohler or Briggs either. I just sold my 2007 Husqvarna that I mowed with commercially to my son. That Kohler engine is still running like it is brand new. Keep it clean inside and out and it will last a long time.

i wouldn't say i'm afraid of other brand engines but i will say that if i ever end up selling it i think the kawasaki brand engine would help with resale but if the engine is very easy to do oil changes on and maintain i would bite on another brand engine mower...i mean isn't the toro brand engine made by loncin?...no other engine choices on that one...the zt-xl has options of either a kawasaki fr series vtwin 21.5hp/726cc or a kohler 7000 series vtwin 24hp/725cc...i'm not sure what the price difference is or what the difference is in the ease of maintenance...the husqvarna has 3 engine choices kawasaki fr series 21.5hp or a b&s endurance series 22hp or a kohler confidant 23hp...the kohler and the b&s mowers are $200 cheaper than the kawasaki mower...the kohler mower also has a heavy duty non canister air filter (vs standard), cast iron spindle (vs cast aluminum), headlight (vs none), pressure with oil filter engine lubrication type (vs full pressure), high back seat (vs medium), hour meter with service intervals programmed (vs regular hour meter) on it which is different from the decks on the other 2...not sure if any of those differences other than the seat and spindles make much of a difference

I need to take the powered bagger impeller units off both of my Z mowers to get them into my shed. It's really not a big deal.

i guess that would depend on what mower and bagger you have...from what i've read some of them are not as easy to attach/detach...but i'm looking to save time so if i don't have to deal with the hassle of removing and reinstalling it each time that is a plus for me...also i won't have to set up a place to hang it in my shed...i don't mind going smaller on the deck for that reason as i figure the mower will be able to fit into some of the smaller areas in my yard and probably get a better cut just due to the uneven spots in my yard...not to mention my yard isn't huge so i don't feel like i need a 46" or 48" deck

P

Point37

the only thing that is making me have second thoughts is the size of the front tires on a zero turn + the slope of my yard with the runoff from a portion of my driveway pitching down into the backyard making it wet soggy lawn towards the rear portion of my backyard (lowest area) at times...and just past the end of my backyard are wetlands so a good portion of the back yard stays wet for a while during heavy rain events in the spring and fall, basically from the left most tree to the fence in the photo with the shed...so i'm still keeping the lawn tractor in the back of my head just due to possible rutting/scalping issues from the zero turn front...i just like the speed of a zero turn, the maneuverability and being able to cut in reverse

i spent a lot of time making my back yard nice so i want to make the right decision...i still need to grow some more grass on parts of the backyard...the dogs tear it up pretty good...but at the same time i want to remove the rocks bordering the fence cause they are a pain to cut/weed wack around, which will probably also tear up the yard...trying to determine if i want to rent a small skid steer cause some of the rocks are large...or just use a roto hammer drill and drill the rocks and use dexpan to break them into smaller pieces and move them by hand

before clearing
IMG_2780.jpg

after clearing before shed
IMG_4486.jpg

after shed (aka the mower house) installed
IMG_9206.jpg

D

Darryl G

It's always hard to tell the true slope of a lawn from a photo but based on what I see it doesn't look bad and I don't think it would be an issue. As far as the front tires go, there really isn't much weight on the front wheels on a zero-turn mower unless you're going down a slope. I can pick up the front of my 52 inch Exmark to slide a jack stand under it. I haven't tried it with my Bob-Cat. You do have to be careful not to rip things up on turns on soft turf and you certainly can get stuck. I walk soft areas over before mowing and in general terms if the soil doesn't "squish" away from my feet I can run on it. It's impossible for me to predict if you'll have problems with rutting or getting stuck on your soggy areas, but the issue of mowing soft turf isn't unique to zero-turn mowers. You can either go around them until things dry out or grab the 21 incher, but I find the 21 incher with its skinny tires is more of a problem on soft turf.

P

Point37

It's always hard to tell the true slope of a lawn from a photo but based on what I see it doesn't look bad and I don't think it would be an issue. As far as the front tires go, there really isn't much weight on the front wheels on a zero-turn mower unless you're going down a slope. I can pick up the front of my 52 inch Exmark to slide a jack stand under it. I haven't tried it with my Bob-Cat. You do have to be careful not to rip things up on turns on soft turf and you certainly can get stuck. I walk soft areas over before mowing and in general terms if the soil doesn't "squish" away from my feet I can run on it. It's impossible for me to predict if you'll have problems with rutting or getting stuck on your soggy areas, but the issue of mowing soft turf isn't unique to zero-turn mowers. You can either go around them until things dry out or grab the 21 incher, but I find the 21 incher with its skinny tires is more of a problem on soft turf.

yea it's not easy to tell but you can kind of tell how much the yard slopes based on how much of the sonotubes are showing under the shed on the front face and how high the side of the shed is riding...about 6' in elev drop over 100' distance so about 6%...the slope doesn't really concern me as far as the mower being unstable cause i can always cut cross slope...the slope just channels water to that back area making it wet and soft...i realize that most of the weight of a zero turn is in the rear but if i'm adding a bagger to the rear i will probably be adding a weight kit to the front so that would make it heavier in front where the thin tires are...i just want to be sure i buy the right tool for the job...once the summer hits it will be dry back there most of the time but it could pose a problem for the spring and fall...i could just mow those areas with my push mower but that defeats the purpose of buying a rider...one of my neighbors across the street from me has a zero turn and i may ask him if he can give it a run in my yard to see how well it works so at least i have an idea if a zero turn makes sense for my yard

D

Darryl G

It might go over better with your neighbor to ask them to mow your lawn while you watch. No way I'd let a novice operator run my machine on their lawn and that way you're not in an awkward position if something goes wrong. That and they will likely have learned the limitations of their machine by now.

P

Point37

It might go over better with your neighbor to ask them to mow your lawn while you watch. No way I'd let a novice operator run my machine on their lawn and that way you're not in an awkward position if something goes wrong. That and they will likely have learned the limitations of their machine by now.

that's exactly what i plan to do...i don't want to run his machine...and i would really only want him to make a few passes in the wet part of the back yard to see how it does and if it scalps/ruts the lawn...i will have to fix that area anyway once i get rid of the rocks

D

Darryl G

Oh, I see now that's actually what you said. My bad. :smile:

P

Point37

Oh, I see now that's actually what you said. My bad. :smile:

thanks again for all the help...i think this one is going to come down to a neighbor test, test driving my 3 choices, weighing the pros and cons of each model and money

P

Point37

after thinking about it some more and walking around my soggy rear yard i think i'm going to research garden tractors as well...the reasons for this are...

-my self propelled push mower ruts areas when the yard is wet as it is...the added weight of a zero turn and small front tires even though they are more rear weighted, plus a bagger/weight kit, plus trying to do a zero turn back there i think i will be making a mess of the lawn no matter how well i learn how to operate it...i don't always have time to wait to cut at the opportune time so maybe the larger tires and weight being more evenly dispersed between them would be better

-i plan to move some large rocks out of my yard with a small garden dump trailer i acquired (instead of using a wheel barrow)...so i figure the transmission of a garden tractor would be better for something like this vs a zero turn

-it will be more user friendly in case my dad comes by and wants to use it or my wife decides to help me cut while i trim

i probably should make a new thread for my choices and to get advice...i'll post it here for anyone interested...thanks again everyone!

new thread...
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showt...ctor-Looking-at-Husqvarna?p=294924#post294924

puspunta

puspunta

I am partial to Deere myself I have a z920 its an aircooled Kawasaki got 800 hrs on it now have hammered it hard I use to be in the lawn care business and always ran deere diesel and liquid cooled kawasaki motors got out of the business the 920 is around 8300 -8500 60" cut got a cousin on the border of Kentucky and Ohio that sells them may have some leftover stock to make you a deal on he had a couple end of last year I still kick myself for not getting one of place was called Carmichaels I believe it got bought out if you look at a deere and like em may be worth a trip for you his name is Dave17403392499 good luck with it ive ran deere commercial mowers since 91

P

Point37

I am partial to Deere myself I have a z920 its an aircooled Kawasaki got 800 hrs on it now have hammered it hard I use to be in the lawn care business and always ran deere diesel and liquid cooled kawasaki motors got out of the business the 920 is around 8300 -8500 60" cut got a cousin on the border of Kentucky and Ohio that sells them may have some leftover stock to make you a deal on he had a couple end of last year I still kick myself for not getting one of place was called Carmichaels I believe it got bought out if you look at a deere and like em may be worth a trip for you his name is Dave17403392499 good luck with it ive ran deere commercial mowers since 91

thanks but i live in MA so i'm nowhere near that area