Export thread

First generation Camaro

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I past by this last weekend and almost broke my neck, I turned my head so fast. The first generation Camaro is one of the muscle cars that I would consider owning, not necessarily this model year.
Anybody know what year this one is?
IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

L

LandN

1967 camaro ...side lights came in 1968.

B

Black Bart

1967 camaro ...side lights came in 1968.

I agree 1967

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

No side markers and also the side vent windows.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The exterior looks great. How's the interior? How much are they asking?

My mom had a 1968 Camaro with a 327 V8 -- many moons ago. :cool:

JDgreen

JDgreen

The exterior looks great. How's the interior? How much are they asking?

My mom had a 1968 Camaro with a 327 V8 -- many moons ago. :cool:

If the car is a true SS and not a clone, depending on the options it is fitted with I would say about $21,000-$27,000, and higher for a numbers matching car (original engine, transmission, etc). There are so many variables involved, pricing is not an exact science. A ragtop would be about $8,000--$10,000 more.

I know cars, especially muscle cars. Sure it looks good, but it could be a Dupont restoration. Last fall my brother and I were at a county fair is southern Michigan, some organization was raffling off a Duster 340, my brother was saying that sure looks good. Well, I pointed out under the hood, whoever "restored" the car had used rubber GARAGE DOOR WEATHERSTRIPPING for weatherseal. My brother was amazed because I was able to spot something like that.

M

Mower manic

That is a nice car. A prime example of American muscle. I wish it was in my garage.
It's a 67 no doubt.
I have no Idea what it is worth. That's an investment and it has to be bought right in order to pay off.

173abn

173abn

my first car out of the service in 70 was a 69SS conv. white w/orange stripes.the headlights had the powered covers.Thats a sweet 67 but like JD said buyer beware.I once saw the same car I had in a magazine and the asking price was $80 grand.Does anyone like the new ones?I personally think they look really nice,kinda got that retro look to em...russ

JDgreen

JDgreen

my first car out of the service in 70 was a 69SS conv. white w/orange stripes.the headlights had the powered covers.Thats a sweet 67 but like JD said buyer beware.I once saw the same car I had in a magazine and the asking price was $80 grand.Does anyone like the new ones?I personally think they look really nice,kinda got that retro look to em...russ

Wife's older brother had a '69 SS, when he learned GM was bringing back the Camaro and were modeling it on the '69 model he couldn't put down $$ fast enuff. He put less than 1,000 miles on the car shown in the picture before he traded it in a new Corvette. Must be nice to have that kind of money !!!

Attachments

wjjones

wjjones

It is a nice looking old camaro...:thumbsup:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

1967 Is correct.
This one has a Muncie Rock Crusher (m22) 4 speed and a 10 bolt posi rear end.
It also supposed to have a 350 .
Seems to me the SS had a 396 so maybe it is a clone. The asking price is 26500$
I don't know what the justification for the price is. Maybe it's highly modified.....be nice if it had disc brakes and fuel injection:cool:
I don't know enough about it to really consider a negotiation, even if I got all the specifics. I didn't even look at the inside but something tells me it probably looks as good as the outside.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

In my experience, getting original interior parts is more difficult than fixing up the exterior.

I don't know if you want to wish for a fuel injection system circa 1967. As I remember it, fuel injection was a very crude art in those days. A good old Holly four-barrel carb is probably better.

Have you looked online for the pricing of comparable cars? That might give you an idea of what would be a reasonable offer.

If it doesn't have disc brakes on the front that would seem to me to be a real disability for such a powerful car. But that could be changed -- but those parts will be expensive. :eek:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

In my experience, getting original interior parts is more difficult than fixing up the exterior.

I don't know if you want to wish for a fuel injection system circa 1967. As I remember it, fuel injection was a very crude art in those days. A good old Holly four-barrel carb is probably better.

:eek:

I was thinking he put in a fairly current crate motor equipped with EFI. That would explain the 350, that and computer along with upgrades would perhaps justify the 26k price tag but who knows?

Does anybody remember a movie called "Aloha Bobby and Rose"? Thats was some car in that movie!
It was ahighly modified Camaro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWiECcLEJTQ&feature=related

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I was thinking he put in a fairly current crate motor equipped with EFI. That would explain the 350, that and computer along with upgrades would perhaps justify the 26k price tag but who knows?

Does anybody remember a movie called "Aloha Bobby and Rose"? Thats was some car in that movie!
It was ahighly modified Camaro.
Aloha Bobby and Rose red camaro - YouTube

If it's a current fuel injection system, that's a huge plus.

I looked up that movie and I'm pretty sure I saw it. The Camaro was very prominent. Never heard of the two leads in the film. :biggrin:

173abn

173abn

Robert,my Camaro had a stock 350 in it....russ

JDgreen

JDgreen

Have you looked online for the pricing of comparable cars? That might give you an idea of what would be a reasonable offer.

If it doesn't have disc brakes on the front that would seem to me to be a real disability for such a powerful car. But that could be changed -- but those parts will be expensive. :eek:

I don't think GM offered any FI from the factory outside of the early to mid-60's Corvettes until about 1982 or so, and then it was just on the Corvettes.

L

LandN

1967 Is correct.
This one has a Muncie Rock Crusher (m22) 4 speed and a 10 bolt posi rear end.
It also supposed to have a 350 .
Seems to me the SS had a 396 so maybe it is a clone. The asking price is 26500$
I don't know what the justification for the price is. Maybe it's highly modified.....be nice if it had disc brakes and fuel injection:cool:
I don't know enough about it to really consider a negotiation, even if I got all the specifics. I didn't even look at the inside but something tells me it probably looks as good as the outside.

you could get an ss350 from the factory(1967)along with the 396. z28 had disc brakes,so shouldn;t be hard to convert.for that money (me personally ) i would be looking at a 1969, meaner looking.

C

cubby

If it's a current fuel injection system, that's a huge plus.

I looked up that movie and I'm pretty sure I saw it. The Camaro was very prominent. Never heard of the two leads in the film. :biggrin:
I don't know who the passenger in the camaro is but I'm pretty sure the driver is the same guy who drove the yellow duece coupe in American Graffiti--"Milner"

As for the '67 camaro it may not be original but who cares ,when it looks this good and probably sounds as good as it looks its hard to beat. I would opt out for a nice set of Cragar S/S wheels my self.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I don't think GM offered any FI from the factory outside of the early to mid-60's Corvettes until about 1982 or so, and then it was just on the Corvettes.

Wife's brother that I posted pic of with his Camaro was here an hour ago, he wanted to show off his Camaro replacement....

Attachments

173abn

173abn

JD tell your BIL that is one pretty car.When I win the lottery I'm getting a yellow one...russ

JDgreen

JDgreen

JD tell your BIL that is one pretty car.When I win the lottery I'm getting a yellow one...russ

Funny thing is, his 31 year old son lives in Florida and HE has a yellow one....:laughing:

M

Mower manic

Wife's brother that I posted pic of with his Camaro was here an hour ago, he wanted to show off his Camaro replacement....

Is that a Z-06?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I grew to hate fuel injection systems from the late 1960s due to my experience with a 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider that I had in the early to mid-1980s.

It was a wonderful car in so many ways but the mechanical fuel injection system it came with was a recurring headache. I finally bit the bullet and bought a conversion kit (very expensive -- about $800 or $900, I think) to install duel Weber two-barrel carbs. From that point on, the car not only performed much better but was very reliable.

For those of you who may not know what these cars look like, here's a picture of a 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider (I'm pretty sure about the year but the 1966-69 models can be hard to tell apart). Mine was the same color. My Alfa had eight-spoke mag wheels (non-standard).

1969-alfa-romeo-duetto-spyder.jpg

The Alfa wasn't a "muscle car" -- the engine was only 1779cc -- but it was a joy to drive.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Is that a Z-06?

Gran Sport....not sure if that means it's a Z-06....

C

cubby

Really nice car JD, I'm a big Corvette fan myself. I got a '94 ZR-1 and if I didn't have a lot of college
bills I'd have this same car, same color in a convertible. The Grand Sport has the same body flares
and scoops as the Z06 but not as much horsepower....cubby

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Really nice car JD, I'm a big Corvette fan myself. I got a '94 ZR-1 and if I didn't have a lot of college
bills I'd have this same car, same color in a convertible. The Grand Sport has the same body flares
and scoops as the Z06 but not as much horsepower....cubby

The Z-06 also has an aluminum frame/chasis. Its several hundered pounds lighter than any other corvette. With a 7 liter 505 hp engine that has things like titanium valves...it's stupid fast. At 75k$ it should be.
It's considered slow by most european sports car standards.

J

jamesslcx

Two-Stroke I always liked the Alfa Romeo a lot. I like pretty much any Camaro except the new ones, they just dont appeal to me much though the performance is great.

B

benski

Re; Post #18; That actor's name is Paul Le Mat. A very young (by comparison to almost 40 years later:eek:) Harrison Ford drove that very cool '55 Chevy seen towards the end of the film.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I have never really understood the use of having a 500 plus hp car that wll go 155 mph when the speed limit is 70 mph. What is the purpose of paying a huge premium for hp you cannot use? My Lesabre has 205 hp and is plenty fast enough to break the speed limit anywhere. My wifes Saturn has a 3 liter V6 and it is WAY overpowered, it will run a 15 second, 91 mph quarter mile pure stock. Most cars sold today are the same-too much power.

B

benski

I have never really understood the use of having a 500 plus hp car that wll go 155 mph when the speed limit is 70 mph. What is the purpose of paying a huge premium for hp you cannot use? My Lesabre has 205 hp and is plenty fast enough to break the speed limit anywhere. My wifes Saturn has a 3 liter V6 and it is WAY overpowered, it will run a 15 second, 91 mph quarter mile pure stock. Most cars sold today are the same-too much power.

I suppose it's just like a bunch of things us guys are prone to doing...if some is good, more MUST be better, whether it makes sense or not!:wink::biggrin: Witness the horsepower races in lawn machinery in the last 8 years or so (and the litigation that followed:eek:) powerboats, etc., etc. I'm certainly not advocating it necessarily, but it seems to be one of the ways we measure uh, "progress".:confused2::frown::wink: Heck, my diesel Benz only has some 140hp, and that's enough to get me in trouble.:ashamed::laughing:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

:laughing: The short answer is that it's fun -- even if that means being naughty sometimes. :laughing:

My 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider that I mentioned (1.8 liter, four cylinder) got pretty good mileage and had a top speed of 120. It was also much more fun to drive than any "muscle car", IMO.

B

Black Bart

For a real gear-head no explanation needed all other no explanation is possible.

JDgreen

JDgreen

For a real gear-head no explanation needed all other no explanation is possible.

Back in '71 I had a Boss 351 Mustang, liked the car but I was only 20 years old then. I think the majority of hot rod car owners are basically people who regret outgrowing their cowboy suits....:laughing::laughing:

J

jamesslcx

For most people their vehicle seems to be a way to show their manhood, you ever notice some of the shortest people drive the biggest trucks? Same way with horsepower, not trying to offend anyone but as long as I have at least 130 hp and good gas mileage I am happy.:smile:

JDgreen

JDgreen

For most people their vehicle seems to be a way to show their manhood, you ever notice some of the shortest people drive the biggest trucks? Same way with horsepower, not trying to offend anyone but as long as I have at least 130 hp and good gas mileage I am happy.:smile:

Define "shortest" as applied to people....:laughing::laughing:

L

LandN

HI jd, there are 2 different kinds of a 500 hp car...imo...the one you can buy at the store,that anyone with the money can buy....then there is the 500 +/- hp car in which the owner built it with his knowledge,talent,coordination,desire,ambition,blood sweat and tears and is able to drive it safetly down the road side by side with any corporate brand supercar and be proud of what he/she done.:biggrin: what you do with all that power on the street is another story.there will always be competitiveness in us all whether it be mowers, trimmers, cars, trucks, baseball, football, etc,etc.

B

Black Bart

Back in '71 I had a Boss 351 Mustang, liked the car but I was only 20 years old then. I think the majority of hot rod car owners are basically people who regret outgrowing their cowboy suits....:laughing::laughing:

Not sure I know what you mean by that statement but I been driving highly modified cars for 60 years and never owned a cowboy suit.

JDgreen

JDgreen

60 years driving makes you 76 years old now !!

J

jamesslcx

With a name like Black Bart I see you in a cowboy suit and hat with two sixguns on each hip....ha ha sorry I guess I used to watch too many Western movies!

JDgreen

JDgreen

With a name like Black Bart I see you in a cowboy suit and hat with two sixguns on each hip....ha ha sorry I guess I used to watch too many Western movies!

FINALLY, somebody caught onto my joke.....THANKS !!!!!! :laughing: :thumbsup: :laughing: :thumbsup:

B

Black Bart

60 years driving makes you 76 years old now !!
Well actually I'm 78 and I started driving when I was 15

JDgreen

JDgreen

Well actually I'm 78 and I started driving when I was 15

We need a contest, who is the oldest guy on LMF, I thought it was me, guess not....:laughing:

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

My dad's freind bot a 69 camaro years ago- previous owner was going to make it a drag car- he totally took the car apart, went thru every nut and bolt to factory OEM specs ( even a set of original polyglas tires) , found a rare factory 'inflata spare' tire with inflating fluid - one mean looking car.

This guy is a die hard Chevy guy, has a 80's elcamino he made into a drag car, numerous impalas, bot a snowblower setup for his blazer - his garage is like my fantasy garage..... paint booth, lift , giant shop area.... amazing.

B

benski

We need a contest, who is the oldest guy on LMF, I thought it was me, guess not....:laughing:

55 yrs. young for me later this month. Not even a contender in the older people contest here on LMF. But there are mornings when I wake up and feel 100...:biggrin:

B

benski

My dad's freind bot a 69 camaro years ago- previous owner was going to make it a drag car- he totally took the car apart, went thru every nut and bolt to factory OEM specs ( even a set of original polyglas tires) , found a rare factory 'inflata spare' tire with inflating fluid - one mean looking car.

This guy is a die hard Chevy guy, has a 80's elcamino he made into a drag car, numerous impalas, bot a snowblower setup for his blazer - his garage is like my fantasy garage..... paint booth, lift , giant shop area.... amazing.

The '69s, especially the RS/SS convertibles, are in my opinion one of the most attractive cars that Chevrolet ever produced.:licking: Obviously quite collectible,too!$$$$:thumbsup:
And as for a dream shop:licking::thumbsup::eek: , it's on my (very slowly acquiring it) list. It takes a horrific amount of time, energy, and money to do, but one may as well start somewhere..:smile:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

650 Horse power

This car looks good, you should have heard it, I can't describe the sound.
I saw it at the store while filling up I was drawn to it like flies to a s**T pile. The owner was anxious to raise the hood...and I couldn't wait to see what was making that resonance.

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

According to the owner, it's not a clone but he put a big block....BIG-BLOCK in it.
DSC00120.jpg

I doubt that you can get 650 hp from this but you wouldn't care when you step on the pedal.

173abn

173abn

wow!double WOW! that engine has it going on...russ

T

TradesmanGuy

Whats with the car pics....things so dull in Florida you have to hang around the auctions to have something to do??? So buy one instead of just posting pictures.

K

KennyV

Whats with the car pics....things so dull in Florida you have to hang around the auctions to have something to do??? So buy one instead of just posting pictures.

I have noticed that you 'seem' to be complaining in Most of your posts... When you are not complaining you are pointing out that You are new here...

It has been only a little while since someone that was equally as negative as you left... You are not maybe that same person back under a different name??
Just seems odd ...
:smile:KennyV

Parkmower

Parkmower

KennyV said:
I have noticed that you 'seem' to be complaining in Most of your posts... When you are not complaining you are pointing out that You are new here...

It has been only a little while since someone that was equally as negative as you left... You are not maybe that same person back under a different name??
Just seems odd ...

Your not the only one who noticed this

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

You have a good point there. Thank you very much for that. I will strive to make my input more to your liking, and I will strongly consider the purchase of a classic muscle car?

Just exactly what are you interested in?
The only reason I ask is because I would like to make your time here as enjoyable as possible.
You seem like the type of person who uses the internet to fill a huge emotional void in his life. I for one find that both tragic and pathetic so please let me know how I can help.

T

TradesmanGuy

You have a good point there. Thank you very much for that. I will strive to make my input more to your liking, and I will strongly consider the purchase of a classic muscle car?

Just exactly what are you interested in?
The only reason I ask is because I would like to make your time here as enjoyable as possible.
You seem like the type of person who uses the internet to fill a huge emotional void in his life. I for one find that both tragic and pathetic so please let me know how I can help.

This coming from an Internet user himself......:laughing:

T

TradesmanGuy

Just seems odd ...

Seems odd you want to raise an issue about something I know nothing about...you call me complaining and negative? Well, thanks very much.

T

TradesmanGuy

Your not the only one who noticed this

And I don't care what you think either.

Parkmower

Parkmower

TradesmanGuy said:
And I don't care what you think either.

Ok Boss. I don't care what you think you know about anything. Glad to see you here. Welcome and you can start HELPING anytime.

C

cubby

I for one like them, keep em coming...cubby

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

How about that!

just took these this evening. The body work was not up to par...I was a little disappointed until i heard it start.....i forgot all about the waves in the paint :licking:

1969 396 SS special edition M21 12 bolt posi
DSC00032.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

RobertBrown - I'm pretty sure the 572 crate motor is rated at 650 hp (flywheel) right out of the box. With a few extra parts and dyno tuning north of 750 is possible.

Carscw

Carscw

Grass ala Mowed said:
RobertBrown - I'm pretty sure the 572 crate motor is rated at 650 hp (flywheel) right out of the box. With a few extra parts and dyno tuning north of 750 is possible.

I know you can get a 572 grate with 950 hp I know guys that run them in the late model grate class ( dirt track race car )

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I know you can get a 572 grate with 950 hp I know guys that run them in the late model grate class ( dirt track race car )

Is that a naturally aspirated engine?
I think your going to need a supercharger for that kind of power.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

NA, no blower. These engines represent about 50 years of GM big block experience with D-ports, tunnel ports, valve angles, etc. and flow very well. Probably using a set of headers tuned for top end, fair amount of cam and about 950 CFM carb. If the dirt track boys are running alcohol, that number is easy. It takes about 60-75% more alcohol per pound of air and evaporating all the liquid really cools the intake charge, making big numbers easy.

I'm sorry, 720 hp out of the box with 1090 CFM carb; http://www.chevy-crate-engine.com/572_720_chevy_crate_engine.html

Carscw

Carscw

They run race fuel Not sure what cfm carb they run but they all have to run the same one I don't know a lot about this class as I run a lower class. I can not afford 30 grand for a engine

L

lbrett

This looks really sweet! I am not that big on American Muscle cars and I am not that familiar with all the lines that stretch through but I know when I see a nice car go in front of me and this sure is ripe for the killing.

I would like to know though how many people are are into F1 as well. There are just a few more days before the start of the season and if you have thoughts about it, you might as well share.

midnite rider

midnite rider

As long as were talking movie muscle cars lets not forget the Bandit. I have owned the TA 6.6 since 1986. Had it repainted and did not get the screaming chicken, gold pinstripes and Trans am decals reapplied. Has the original Hurst T-tops. Eastbound and down. 10-4

78ta.jpg

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

This looks really sweet! I am not that big on American Muscle cars and I am not that familiar with all the lines that stretch through but I know when I see a nice car go in front of me and this sure is ripe for the killing.

I would like to know though how many people are are into F1 as well. There are just a few more days before the start of the season and if you have thoughts about it, you might as well share.

If you're interested in Formula One, there's a movie you've got to see: Senna -- a documentary about one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time, Ayrton Senna. It was in theaters last fall so it's probably out on DVD by now.

S

slk230red

I know this is an old thread, but I wonder what the guy was asking for the car back in 2011.
It was at Cooper Rd. and Cripple Creek Rd. in Plant City.

I past by this last weekend and almost broke my neck, I turned my head so fast. The first generation Camaro is one of the muscle cars that I would consider owning, not necessarily this model year.
Anybody know what year this one is?
IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg