FH580v Rebuild

ethanpw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening y'all, I've got a bit of a head scratcher here. I'm rebuilding my lawn mower's engine (FH580v-ds30) due to it smoking (white/blueish) a whole bunch and the main crankcase gasket was ancient and cracked so there was a bit of oil being pushed out. Long story short I've got it all torn apart and I took pictures while I was disassembling so I'd know how it went back together with parts from the my rebuild kit. So when disassembling it I noticed the arrow on the pistons were pointing towards the intake. I took to the internet to figure out whether or not that was normal and from what I gathered it's far more common that the arrows point towards the exhaust in 4 stroke engines. I've looked through every service manual/ parts diagram I could find. Anyone have experience with rebuilding this model/series of engine or could at least point me in the right direction?
20230619_135550.jpg

This is a picture of the piston I took out clogged with burnt oil and other nastiness. The oil drain holes here are on the side the arrow points to, I'd think you'd want them on the exhaust side since the oil would end up draining to the bottom anyway right? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

txmowman

Threads
I am unable to view your picture but on Kawasaki engines the arrow on top of the piston points towards the flywheel.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does the engine manual for your engine say about this?