few questions bout my 02 JD LT160 lawn tractor/42C deck

Zach5.9CTD

Threads
  • / few questions bout my 02 JD LT160 lawn tractor/42C deck
alright, first of all guys, i'm wondering what the correct maintenance interval is on these tractors. i bought it a year ago and i believe the guy serviced it either the fall or spring before i bought it which would have been sometime in the summer months of 2012. Anyway, i bought it spring 2013 and he told me it had not been serviced this year yet, being 2013. Anyway, i went about my summer mowing with it etc. put approx 30 hours on it. Got it out last night, oil is right at the full mark, and still very translucent to the dipstick. granted i had to add a bit last summer, i cant imagine the little bit i added would have made much diff in oil color.

So regardless, i'm thinking about doing a service on it this spring if that's recommended and am wondering if it'd be worth my money to run Amsoil synthetic oil in it. i run amsoil in almost everything else i own, and i'm sure it wouldn't hurt the tractor one bit. id also run a Wix 51056 filter or a Baldwin B132 filter, as those are 2 filters i highly trust.

Second question is regarding my 42" Convertible deck on my tractor. When i was using it tonight to do spring clean up of leaves etc i was getting a LOT of blow out on the right front corner of the deck. I'm wondering if the Front Blowout Baffle Kit is worth the 40.00 or if its a gimmick and doesn't really help the problem much. It just frustrates me that every time i make a new pass with bagger on that 1/4 of the leaves i'm going over end up right back on the lawn in an area i've already gone over once. So if anyone has any experience with that blowout baffle kit, id be interested to know how well it really works and whether its worth the 40 bucks to order one or not.

Last question is regarding the High Performance Mulch Kit for the 42" Convertible deck on my mower. id find using this kit throughout the season would really help with grass clippings being returned into the grass and hopefully not leaving the well known "windrows" of grass from side discharging. I also am a firm believer that mulching is the best and healthiest method of cutting for a lawn. Also wondering about the well known "gator blades" i believe their called. Wondering how well those blades would work in conjunction with the fore mentioned mulching kit. Again, anyone with personal experience of one or both items please feel free to speak your opinion about either or both as i don't feel like spending money on stuff that ends up working no better than my previous methods.

Thanks guys!

Zach5.9CTD

Threads
  • / few questions bout my 02 JD LT160 lawn tractor/42C deck
Well guys needless to say, i bit the bullet on the front blowout baffle kit. Got it yesterday, took deck off this morning, pressure washed/scrubbed both top and bottom side of deck off till it looked brand new, installed the baffle kit and reassembled deck under the mower. Went out on the mower today for approx 4 hrs, baffle kit worked AWESOME and the yard looks just as good. No blowout at all that i could see and didnt have to go over same area multiples times!

Def. worth the 40 bucks if you guys are having front blow out problems!!!!!!