Mower deck Ferris IS 5000 61" Deck

Roybretton

Threads
I have a Ferris IS 5000 with a 61 inch cutting deck, for the past 18 months the cutting deck has developed a problem in the fact that it does not spread the grass properly.

The mower actually cuts really well, but has developed this fault of not spreading the grass evenly, I really don't know what the problem is, one thought is that perhaps one pulley is slipping slightly, although if a pulley was slipping, I would have thought this would have shown in the quality of the cut, but the quality of the cut is excellent.

I have attached a photograph of the mower cutting and leaving the grass in clumps, rather than spreading equally, any help would be appreciated, thanking you.

Attachments

• IMG-20110727-00253.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00253.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20110727-00254.jpg
    IMG-20110727-00254.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 26
Threads
Clumping can be a result of a mower deck with too much grass stuck under it. Is there too much grass underneath it? Other than that I don't know.

gregjo1948

Threads
I get clumping and poor distribution if the grass is too high for the speed I'm moving and also if the grass is wet. gregjo1948

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks to me that your letting the grass get to tall.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Ferris IS 5000 with a 61 inch cutting deck, for the past 18 months the cutting deck has developed a problem in the fact that it does not spread the grass properly.

The mower actually cuts really well, but has developed this fault of not spreading the grass evenly, I really don't know what the problem is, one thought is that perhaps one pulley is slipping slightly, although if a pulley was slipping, I would have thought this would have shown in the quality of the cut, but the quality of the cut is excellent.

I have attached a photograph of the mower cutting and leaving the grass in clumps, rather than spreading equally, any help would be appreciated, thanking you.

As has been said before, not spreading the grass properly can any number of problems or a combination of problems. The grass could be to wet, it could be to long, you could be trying to cut the lawn to short, blades maybe dull, deck needs a good cleaning etc. etc.
One of the biggest contributing factors to grass not spreading is the frequency of cut, right of hand by the pictures posted it likes you're trying to cut the grass to short with a dull set of blades. You can judge that by the length of grass left on the ground because the mower isn't cutting it up.

gregjo1948

Threads
Rather than cutting too low; By looking at the quantity of cut grass,it was very tall(high). If you want it cut that close to the surface, you should cut it more often. gregjo1948

Roybretton

Threads
Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated! The mower used to cut perfectly, on all types of grass, the blades are sharp. I wondered if it maybe a pulley slipping on one of the blades, although the actual cut is good, it is just not spreading the grass evenly!

Anymore thoughts?

Threads
Anymore thoughts?

I just think the reason it is clumping is because you are cutting too low for the height you let the grass grow to. There is not that much else that can cause that.

Last edited: