Ferris IS 3100 Z Starting Issue

Royale Racer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 Ferris IS 3100 Z (900 hours) that has developed a starting issue. When I turn the key, all I hear is a faint click, and not that of the solenoid on the starter being activated. I removed and have verified that the starter is in perfect working order. I have replaced the seat safety switch. I also relaced the battery. It is acting like a safety switch may be activated and not allowing it to turn over. Suggestions????

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
By using your hands & eyes make sure all electrical connections are tight & secure. Check fuses for being blown especially if you clean engine with water. Your Operators Manual should give you location of fuses.

RayMcD

Threads
By using your hands & eyes make sure all electrical connections are tight & secure. Check fuses for being blown especially if you clean engine with water. Your Operators Manual should give you location of fuses.

Connections may be tight but still have corrosion underneath. Disconnect the battery and check the large cables to the solenoid and also where both ends of the engine ground cord. You can clean all the connections with a product like CRC electronics cleaner, relays, circuit boards, etc without concern of doing damage. The same company also makes a corrosion protector for electrical connections. One can also use Dielectric grease to improve & protect connections, I use on everything that snaps together to prevent corrosion.

Royale Racer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, Mark. I will perform all of your suggested procedures and will get back to you with results.

Royale Racer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mark,

Again, thank you for the advice. I went through each electrical "plug-in" connections, cleaned them and applied dielectric grease. Everything looked OK until I got to the hand brake safety switch. There was a lot of dirt and corrosion on the terminals. Cleaned it, dielectric greased the connection, and it started right up.

Regards,

Bob

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mark,

Again, thank you for the advice. I went through each electrical "plug-in" connections, cleaned them and applied dielectric grease. Everything looked OK until I got to the hand brake safety switch. There was a lot of dirt and corrosion on the terminals. Cleaned it, dielectric greased the connection, and it started right up.

Regards,

Bob
Another satisfied customer.

RayMcD

Threads
Mark,

Regards,

Bob
Bob, you are most welcome, Cheers, Ray