FD590V in JD FD725 Fuel Pump Piston concern

jlandes

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere FD725 mower with an FD590V engine that has suddenly decided not to start. It turns over fine but sounds like it is not getting any fuel. Fuel filter is recently replaced so I removed the filter and checked for suction and there was none. I removed the hose at the fuel pump and there was no suction at the pump, so I decided that the pump must have died. I bought a new pump and installed it - no change - still no suction. The piston (or whatever you call the little rod coming out of the engine) travels freely, but when you turn the engine over there is no movement. When you insert the piston into the hole, it hits something metallic and that's as far as it goes. It's almost like there is something that has moved inside the engine that is preventing the piston from reaching the camshaft, like a seal or something. You can see something at the end of the "tunnel", but the hole is small and long and I can't really tell what is going on. Does anyone have any idea what's going on in there? I've never taken an engine apart. Thanks for your help!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
We need a picture of what you are calling a piston.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the camshaft gears are bad.

jlandes

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was afraid of that, but since it was running fine when we drove it into the garage I thought it might be something else. Thanks for your thoughts.