Export thread

False/Misleading Advertising of Dealer

1scag1

Hi Folks!! :smile: I have a 'legal eagle' type question for someone out there. Here's the scenario.........I purchased a '61" Scag Turf Tiger zero turn'(demo mower, 50 hrs) in good faith from one of the largest agriculture dealers in the US, only to be SHOCKED at what turned up!! 1 worn out mower, requiring many repairs. :mad: The unit sent alarm bells to me, so I contacted the manufacturer who have been VERY helpful in informing me of the age of my mower. To cut to the chase.......the mower is '7 years OLDER' than what the company states/stands by. To confirm the age difference I did research on the engine, and asked the manufacturer about the engine, only to be told it was 1 year older/8 years.
Could someone tell me there thoughts of what they would do in this instance if this happened to them! Thank you for taking time to read this!! :smile: Gav.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Its up to the purchasers to do the research. Unless its in writing that its x years old when its really z years old your stuck. Truthfully your stuck anyway. There is absolutely no chance you can sue them and come out. Yea you may win. You will end up more invested in legal fees than what you spent already. You wouldn't be hurting them 1 bit.

I find it very hard to see how a 50hr machine can be wore out . Your obviously not happy with it. What are the issues your having with it?

You maybe best to sale it. Cut your losses and move on. Chances are you can sale it and at least get 1/2 to 5/8 your money back.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

http://www.agrimarketing.com/s/104550 This is a list of the top 10 agri dealers in the US. With the lowest having 20 locations. Even the #10 would have a couple lawyers and a legal team on the payroll just waiting for something to do. If you decided to pursue the issue you would have to park your mower to preserve the conditions of it. And you would not be able to sale it. You'd be looking at aprox 3 to 6 years before it actually made its way to a judge. Good luck hope this info helps some. Maybe others will offer their thoughts.

Boobala

Boobala

http://www.agrimarketing.com/s/104550 This is a list of the top 10 agri dealers in the US. With the lowest having 20 locations. Even the #10 would have a couple lawyers and a legal team on the payroll just waiting for something to do. If you decided to pursue the issue you would have to park your mower to preserve the conditions of it. And you would not be able to sale it. You'd be looking at aprox 3 to 6 years before it actually made its way to a judge. Good luck hope this info helps some. Maybe others will offer their thoughts.

Over here in the Central Fl. (Orlando) area we have a ( actually a few ) TV News stations with Investigative reporters ..
you lodge a complaint, and if they find the the consumer has been "wronged" ... they splash it all over the news and pursue the situation, trying to get things turned into the desired results !! They do a great job , covering everything from bad products to politicians ...might want to check around YOUR area for a consumers action group or a news outlet willing to help you . As stated earlier in this thread ... you need big bucks to go after these " anal-cavitys " pretending to be trustworthy business folks... by all means file a complaint to your local Business Bureau.... good luck..:mad:..:mur:

reynoldston

reynoldston

I find it very hard to see how a 50hr machine can be wore out . Your obviously not happy with it. What are the issues your having with it?

Was it worn out or miss used. Maybe the hour meter has been changed? If its been repaired and running fine I say use it and not worry about the age because you are buying a mower not a car. It would be a hard thing to fight in court unless its all in writing because it would be they said you said case and do nothing but cost you money.

S

snorky1

file a charge back on your credit card with the complaint wrong item or damaged item

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

file a charge back on your credit card with the complaint wrong item or damaged item

That won't work. He didn't say he used his credit card. At this point he's had it long enough its yours. You've purchased it you own it. Sucks but it's what you got.

1scag1

Hi Folks!! :smile: I have a 'legal eagle' type question for someone out there. Here's the scenario.........I purchased a '61" Scag Turf Tiger zero turn'(demo mower, 50 hrs) in good faith from one of the largest agriculture dealers in the US, only to be SHOCKED at what turned up!! 1 worn out mower, requiring many repairs. :mad: The unit sent alarm bells to me, so I contacted the manufacturer who have been VERY helpful in informing me of the age of my mower. To cut to the chase.......the mower is '7 years OLDER' than what the company states/stands by. To confirm the age difference I did research on the engine, and asked the manufacturer about the engine, only to be told it was 1 year older/8 years.
Could someone tell me there thoughts of what they would do in this instance if this happened to them! Thank you for taking time to read this!! :smile: Gav.

Thank you everyone for taking time to read/reply!! :smile: I will just fill in the little parts that make the BIGGER picture. I payed just about NEW price for the mower due to it being a 'demo mower!' The hour meter does 'dimly' display more than 1400 hours. Collapsed bearings, don't happen to demo machinery! Seized components don't happen in 50 hours either! :mad: I've been in the trade to long......and have far to much experience.(Engineering) Unfortunately in this case, I purchased the mower off the web/internet. Pictures are hard to get the finer details at a distance, etc. I had the mower shipped out of the states, as I live in another part of the world. :smile:
I very much like the engineering of the mower itself............but what I payed and the dealer's bulls..t......I also brought a JD Gator 825i, from another part of the states, different dealer of course, the advertising was bang on!! 100% correct, for the unit I couldn't be happier, but as the the other dealer.........probably the battlefield!!
Well thanks for taking time again in reading this!! :smile:

J

Jack17

Did you contact the dealer you bought it from? If so what did they tell you?
Second, tell us how long ago did you buy it, was a mower warranty included in a deal, and did you do any repairs on it yourself? Look at the bill of sale, if what it says on it is different from what you got, like the hour meter, file a complaint with State Attorney's Office in the state your mower came from. Forms are on-line, download it, fill it out, attach copies of all paperwork and tell them what is it that you want that dealer to do in order to satisfy your grievance.

p.s; I sure hope that you still have the original dealer ad...if so, make sure that you mail it in with the rest of it.

Good luck!

reynoldston

reynoldston

I didn't look at where you lived, New Zeeland. So on top of everything you had a big shipping charge and big repair bills. The state attorneys office as stated earlyer you can also complain to the better business bureau in the state you bought it from. Sorry you got took so bad from our country USA because I find that most business's in this country are honest. But just like NZ we have some bad and dishonest people also. :mad:

S

snorky1

well you can allways use social media to bring light on them if that dealer has a twitter or face book page, not to mention google reviews, yelp etc
the squeaky wheel gets the grease and at the least mabie you save someone else from your plight
sorry you got screwed!

G

GoPappy

.........I purchased a '61" Scag Turf Tiger zero turn'(demo mower, 50 hrs) . . . .

. . . The hour meter does 'dimly' display more than 1400 hours. . . .

. . . Collapsed bearings[/B], don't happen to demo machinery! Seized components don't happen in 50 hours either! . . . .

These statements are inconsistent. Did the ad say 50 hours, but they shipped you a 1,400 hour machine? If so, that would be fraud and you could contact the Attorney General's office of the state where the dealer is located. But I agree with the other posters that your options are limited at this point.

Didn't the ad show a picture of the hour meter?

1scag1

Hi Folks, :smile: thanks again for taking time to read!! I understand what everyone has written, and I feel after doing considerable research on state laws, etc, this will have to play out in the court room, the dealer I purchased off, has only produced a receipt of sale, their purchase receipt. And of course gone to ground!!(Buried there heads in the sand so to speak!) :mad:
Scag is the manufacturer of the unit/mower, and everything they have sent me after I sent them serial numbers of components of the mower......line up/match. Hence why I contacted the engine manufacturer, and sent through the code numbers of the engine, to them. And of course all the pieces of the puzzle come together!!
Well.....thanks again!! Happy mowing for the mowers that work, and well............there's people like myself out there.......payed a lot and only to get a lot of work on the unit to make it go!! :laughing:

1scag1

well you can allways use social media to bring light on them if that dealer has a twitter or face book page, not to mention google reviews, yelp etc
the squeaky wheel gets the grease and at the least mabie you save someone else from your plight
sorry you got screwed!

Hi, :smile: thank YOU for the info...............well you are correct and I have nothing to loose!! :thumbsup: Yes......'rattle their daggs' is the saying this end of the planet for them!! :thumbdown:
The doggy dealer I purchased the mower from is: Ag-pro companies,(https://www.agprocompanies.com/) the branch was, Middleburg, Florida. :thumbdown: Sorry to say.......out of the 4 businesses I had dealings with concerning the 2 pieces of equipment I purchased in the states only 50% get my tick of approval!!
Well onward and upward they say................thanks again for the info!! Gav.

1scag1

These statements are inconsistent. Did the ad say 50 hours, but they shipped you a 1,400 hour machine? If so, that would be fraud and you could contact the Attorney General's office of the state where the dealer is located. But I agree with the other posters that your options are limited at this point.

Didn't the ad show a picture of the hour meter?

Hi, in reply to your comments...............YES, yes everything I have said/stated about the mower is TRUE and CORRECT!! Why do you think I was really shocked when I physically saw the mower with my own 2 eyes!! :mad: As stated.......Scag have been really good/brilliant with the info provided, and also the engine manufacturer!! Just the doggy dealer, I have nothing to say positive about!!!! Gav

1scag1

Over here in the Central Fl. (Orlando) area we have a ( actually a few ) TV News stations with Investigative reporters ..
you lodge a complaint, and if they find the the consumer has been "wronged" ... they splash it all over the news and pursue the situation, trying to get things turned into the desired results !! They do a great job , covering everything from bad products to politicians ...might want to check around YOUR area for a consumers action group or a news outlet willing to help you . As stated earlier in this thread ... you need big bucks to go after these " anal-cavitys " pretending to be trustworthy business folks... by all means file a complaint to your local Business Bureau.... good luck..:mad:..:mur:

Hi, :smile: thank YOU for the information :thumbsup:..............I'll do a bit of research.......and go from there!! :smile: Thanks, Gav.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Sorry you were screwed by someone from the US. It has happened to us all at one time or another whether online or in person at their place of operations. I operated several businesses all at one time. It can be very difficult to keep all of your employees doing the right thing and making sure they understand it is my name on the billboard and I will not have my name or business sullied.

When paying commissions I had to learn the hard way to do: follow ups, have a second pair of eyes on each sales contract, a quality control person go over each house, car, truck, insurance policy, mortgage, over the road haul we did to make sure that my customers were always happy. We could no longer be the cheapest company around, but we could have the highest customer satisfaction index (CSI) within our competitive areas.

You've had some good advice on how to go forward and there is one other thing I would add. Find out who the CEO - President - CFO - Advertising Chief - Quality Control - Sales Manager, etc. are for that firm and contact each with your concerns and issues. Provide them the link to this forum after you receive your first reply if you do not receive an acceptable or satisfactory reply.

Make a nice Youtube video as a "review" of both the company and the mower to provide to them after you've received their first reply. Court of public opinion is a place I would have never wanted any of my businesses to have to appear. Plus, I was taught you should always give your customer a dollar and a dime's worth for a dollar if it doesn't hurt me and I still believe in over delivering and that may be considered buying your customers, I like to think of it as giving your customers a reason to say something nice rather than the opposite.

Good luck Sir,

Max

PS. May be about time the forum makes a pilgrimage to a certain dealership! lol, Joke.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I know that you got a bad deal and I do feel sorry for you. BUT As I understand this forum is not the place to mention the name of the place of business that did you the dirty deed as I understand its one of their rules. :thumbdown:

mhavanti

mhavanti

Reynold, I'm sure he got the point and he'll know from now on. That was why I mentioned doing a video posting and perhaps start up a review site.

Our new friend from down unda, no worries mate. Keep posting and keep us all informed.

Any bad business firm for one is a bad business firm for us all.

Max

reynoldston

reynoldston

Reynold, I'm sure he got the point and he'll know from now on. That was why I mentioned doing a video posting and perhaps start up a review site.

Our new friend from down unda, no worries mate. Keep posting and keep us all informed.

Max

Yes I do understand what you are saying and sure hope to keep our new friend from down under. Just don't want to see him get banded form this forum for some innocent foolish mistake that isn't his fault.

J

Jack17

Yes I do understand what you are saying and sure hope to keep our new friend from down under. Just don't want to see him get banded form this forum for some innocent foolish mistake that isn't his fault.
I wouldn't worry about him losing login credential...after all, there are some 200 more boards just like this one here out there he can sign up for. And they'll all be glad to have him.

In my opinion...we need to emphasize the importance of making ***LAWN MOWING BUSINESS GREAT AGAIN*** by exposing all the liberal-lefty corrupt dealers! How's that for forum policy violation?

reynoldston

reynoldston

I wouldn't worry about him losing login credential...after all, there are some 200 more boards just like this one here out there he can sign up for. And they'll all be glad to have him.

In my opinion...we need to emphasize the importance of making ***LAWN MOWING BUSINESS GREAT AGAIN*** by exposing all the liberal-lefty corrupt dealers! How's that for forum policy violation?

I just don't follow what you are saying. First you say I don't worry about him losing his login credential and then you say exposing all the corrupt dealers. You are saying two different things here? :confused2:

J

Jack17

I'm saying; to change the policy...if there is one?

mhavanti

mhavanti

How about leave the policy alone? If I want to know which dealer to shy away from, I can always message a person and ask privately. That will keep from adding extra work to the Administrators and Moderators.

Just my opinion.

reynoldston

reynoldston

by exposing all the liberal-lefty corrupt dealers!

The reasons I don't think this is right to bring up the name of the dealer
You are only hearing one side of the story. Also some people like to make trouble and bitch just to do it. Do you believe everything you read from strangers? Its not fair to the dealer. This may be a very good and honest dealer, how do you know? This isn't how our court system is run so why should it be OK for a forum.

Yes its Ok to complain but lets leave out the dealers names. This has been brought in the pass and it seems there is a ruling on this. Lets hear from the administrator or moderator on this.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I agree with leaving names out. However, if there is a dealer that is funking around with his customers. He'll not be around too awfully long anyway. I used to be a dealer as I mentioned earlier.

My Hustler dealer I wouldn't give the time of day to because he is only interested in selling and making promises he has not once kept. Went to him last November with a short 3 item list. He was supposed to come pick up the SD60 and take care of them. Bad shake in the deck when blades engaged. Pulls to the left moving forward. And one other minor detail. Warrant to expire in February, 17.

He never came to get it. The pick up and delivery was included in purchase price before you say it was my responsibility. I called and or stopped by nine times. I spoke with him Monday and I'm betting you can tell me his reply.

He has a history of this I've found out since I purchased the mower in '14. Wonder why all the SD models are being sold via the box stores in my area? He will not service any more purchased thru the box stores, but then, he sells a ton of commercials.

I still say keep the names out. I can't wait to hear his side of my story when and if the Hustler email is answered. lol

1scag1

Thank you for the input, mhavanti!! :thumbsup: :smile: I don't think I have done the dirty on anyone nor do I feel wrong doing.....it is I that payed just about new price for an antique mower. Then the shipping, etc. All the dealer had to do, was a simple letter/e-mail to the manufacturer of the mower with the serial number!! To which they have NOT done, nor will do because of the ramifications!! In this day and age of the web/net communication is much easier than the past, what I am trying to say is people should be able to air/tell the truth about businesses, I do believe it only makes good businesses better, and bad won's wake up!!
I am NOT out to target anyone on this forum.........I think some people may have old bones to chew on.........but me.......just an axe to grind!! :laughing: The problem with me is I like to work......I cannot stand shallow people, lazy people :mad: and people that like to think the world revolves around their ego!! :mad: To me bulls hit, is only good for 1 thing......growing mushrooms!! I have a decent mower to use to cut my lawns, but choose to let it rest, as that is what it likes, not to work. Nothing beats mowing over an acre with an 18 inch PUSH mower!! Exercise!! Maybe I should buy a couple of sheep........grass at bay......free fertiliser!! :laughing: Barrr....... :laughing: Take care, Gav

1scag1

by exposing all the liberal-lefty corrupt dealers!

The reasons I don't think this is right to bring up the name of the dealer
You are only hearing one side of the story. Also some people like to make trouble and bitch just to do it. Do you believe everything you read from strangers? Its not fair to the dealer. This may be a very good and honest dealer, how do you know? This isn't how our court system is run so why should it be OK for a forum.

Yes its Ok to complain but lets leave out the dealers names. This has been brought in the pass and it seems there is a ruling on this. Lets hear from the administrator or moderator on this.

I have read your comments....................I personally believe in the TRUTH!! Let the TRUTH be told!! :thumbsup: I understand I am a STRANGER to you, that is true!! But what I have said and what I have in photo's documents, etc. Tells the same story...........the TRUTH!! I don't agree with communism.......gagging people with general day to day chit chat.......and the TRUTH!! Let the T R U T H be told!! I understand some people do NOT like hearing the TRUTH, as the saying goes........the TRUTH often hurts!! Its NOT about dirty laundry.........its about the TRUTH!!

1scag1

Excellent comment!! :smile: Bang on the nail!! :thumbsup:

J

Jack17

Excellent comment!! :smile: Bang on the nail!! :thumbsup:

+1

Just look at how they advertise their stuff: http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machines/john-deere-exmark-zero-turn-mower-5163800

This ad says it all about their commitment to excellence!

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have read your comments....................I personally believe in the TRUTH!! Let the TRUTH be told!! :thumbsup: I understand I am a STRANGER to you, that is true!! But what I have said and what I have in photo's documents, etc. Tells the same story...........the TRUTH!! I don't agree with communism.......gagging people with general day to day chit chat.......and the TRUTH!! Let the T R U T H be told!! I understand some people do NOT like hearing the TRUTH, as the saying goes........the TRUTH often hurts!! Its NOT about dirty laundry.........its about the TRUTH!!

What in the world has TRUTH got to do with any of this. Yes it dose sound to me like the dealer did you a dirty deed and yes you can talk about it with truth. I do feel bad about what that the dealer did to you. BUT is all one sided yours and not the dealers. This has nothing to do about putting the dealers name on this forum. You say you don't agree with communism as long as everybody agrees with you. I don't know you or the dealer and you don't know mine so lets just keep names out of it. I never said you aren't speaking the TRUTH.

NO NAMES

J

Jack17

Reynoldston,
I mean, what is you affliction with this dealer? Why are you defending him? You're a smart guy, most people here appreciate your professional take on things that actually matter to people who frequent this board. It's obvious that dealer saw poster's mailing address and figured that he could unload some junk from his lot because he knew that, that junk ain't coming back once shipped overseas. I bet that the dealer also knew that there is more sheep on that island then humans. Can you imagine what a 'DAY WITHOUT WOMEN' looks like over there? (too funny, sorry NZ) The dealer also realized that them guys still are driving on the wrong side of the road...and that's like 150 years after an automobile was invented!!! So, all those things prompted him to 'go for it' take a chance to screw some poor bloke out of his hard earned NZ dollars! That is all.

D

DK35vince

We are hearing one side of the story.
So I agree with reynoldston, leave the dealer name out.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Ditto leave the dealers name out. Want to bash go to fb or somewhere else.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Reynoldston,
I mean, what is you affliction with this dealer? Why are you defending him? You're a smart guy, most people here appreciate your professional take on things that actually matter to people who frequent this board. It's obvious that dealer saw poster's mailing address and figured that he could unload some junk from his lot because he knew that, that junk ain't coming back once shipped overseas. I bet that the dealer also knew that there is more sheep on that island then humans. Can you imagine what a 'DAY WITHOUT WOMEN' looks like over there? (too funny, sorry NZ) The dealer also realized that them guys still are driving on the wrong side of the road...and that's like 150 years after an automobile was invented!!! So, all those things prompted him to 'go for it' take a chance to screw some poor bloke out of his hard earned NZ dollars! That is all.

No I don't know the dealer and not defending him. Its not about that. I am defending all dealers good or bad. All I am saying leave the names out of the picture on this forum. You don't know the facts any better then I do. No I don't like to see anybody gypped our of there hard earned money then you do.

1scag1

What in the world has TRUTH got to do with any of this. Yes it dose sound to me like the dealer did you a dirty deed and yes you can talk about it with truth. I do feel bad about what that the dealer did to you. BUT is all one sided yours and not the dealers. This has nothing to do about putting the dealers name on this forum. You say you don't agree with communism as long as everybody agrees with you. I don't know you or the dealer and you don't know mine so lets just keep names out of it. I never said you aren't speaking the TRUTH.

NO NAMES

I don't know what you have about what I said..................like I said!! If you read and understand 100% not 80%, and the basic information is there......
I do have 1 question!! Are you angry at me sorely because I 'choose' to speak the TRUTH about the dealer?? What I have written here is 100% TRUE as I stated I do not and will not defend nor try and suppress the TRUTH to which I see you want people to do:thumbdown:.......suppress bad businesses:thumbdown:.....................ask anyone in society, do they feel the TRUTH should be told at any level, this includes...............internet, etc!! I believe in honesty goes a long way...........but due to society going in the wrong direction......people trying to hush things, goodie goodie people giving negative people more rights than they deserve??!!
Anyway back to the issue at hand.........example for YOU so maybe you understand this!! You spot a vehicle on the web/net you like. Lets say the vehicle is a Dodge, the year of manufacture is advertised as 2016, the dealer states it is a demonstration vehicle. You talk to the dealer over the phone, and ask questions, etc. You decide to buy the vehicle and ship it interstate to your address. When it arrives you notice rust......everywhere!! The electronic odometer does not display the advertised mileage, does not work! You notice something funny with the front wheels, only to inspect it closer and find the wheel bearings have collapsed. And upon further inspection you find numerous issues/faults with the vehicle. You contact the sales person only to be asked......can you read the odometer. You tell them no and send pictures of faults, etc. Only to get the 'cold shoulder!!' So you take numerous code/serial numbers and ask the manufacturer! They in turn notify you that the vehicle was sold through another dealer/location! Then they inform you the vehicle was manufactured in 2009 and all the code/serial numbers match!!
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the rest.............anyway I am over this.........going where I don't have to think about the BLOODY:mad: expensive mower!!
Interesting last post/comment you put............. quote "I am defending all dealers good or bad" That says a lot................ defend bad businesses!! Well I will say this!! Like hell I will go quietly and "I WILL never NEVER DEFEND BAD PEOPLE or BAD BUSSINESS!!" NAME THEM!! SHAME THEM!! :thumbsup: Gav.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Interesting last post/comment you put............. quote "I am defending all dealers good or bad" That says a lot................ defend bad businesses!! Well I will say this!! Like hell I will go quietly and "I WILL never NEVER DEFEND BAD PEOPLE or BAD BUSSINESS!!" NAME THEM!! SHAME THEM!! :thumbsup: Gav.

No I am not mad about this and NOT defending bad dealers. Yes get the bad dealers names out there. No better way to do that then the state better business bureau. This is their job to do and its our system in this country to weed out the bad businesses and they do a very good job of it. This is the reason you must contact them about this so they can take care of it. This has nothing to do about the truth and yes I do believe you got a bad deal and really feel bad about it. All I am trying to tell you is its not this forums place to name this dealer. You given given good advice in some earlier post and that is what this forum is all about so do it the right way an then you might get somewhere with this. Our country has some very good systems to weed out the bad so work with us.

stevestd

stevestd

Buyer beware when purchasing anything from the internet, especially when you cannot inspect it first hand.