Export thread

Fall fertilizer

B

Bessy

Should you fertilize your lawn and gardens in the fall? Or should you just wait until Spring? Which is better for the soil? I am new to this and it is starting to confuse me.

grnspot110

grnspot110

I prefer one "winterizer" fertilization in the Fall. Only fertilize in the Spring if I'm going to use something like a crabgrass killer! ~~ grnspot110

B

Bessy

Any specific type of fertilizer to winterize the gardens or just the same stuff I have already been using? Should I be adding more mulch too or wait until the spring for that?

grnspot110

grnspot110

I prefer a "slow release" lawn fertilizer with lower Nitrogen (first number) for fall fertilization. The sack should be labeled "winterizer"!

As for mulch (assuming it is on shrubbery & perennial beds, It's best to wait until the ground is frozen. The idea is to keep the ground frozen & slow the "freeze & thaw" cycles ~~ grnspot110

B

Bessy

I guess a trip to Lowe's is in order to find me some "winterizer" fertilizer, I was not aware that they made specific products for winterizing the lawn and such, but I guess it makes sense to do so.

dria

dria

When you get it can you report back what Lowes is charging for it. I am going to check my local home depot. I really want to save some money this year! Fall is coming and heat bills are going to be bad.

B

Bessy

It was $42.97 for enough to do 15,000 square feet, I figured it was better to have too much than to run out, if I have extra can I save it and use it for next year, or does it expire?

grnspot110

grnspot110

It was $42.97 for enough to do 15,000 square feet, I figured it was better to have too much than to run out, if I have extra can I save it and use it for next year, or does it expire?

Not "expire" so much as "clump" if any moisture gets to it, keep unused fertilizer DRY! ~~ grnspot110

M

mowsby

Is a basement a good place to store it or would it be better to store it in a shed? What about a garage? I have some left over fertilizer that I would like to keep for the spring.

B

Bessy

I got one of those huge ziploc bags and put the leftovers in that so hopefully I will be able to use the rest next year. I hope the storage shed will be good enough to store it in for the winter.

C

carla6

Absolutely you should. go to any Home Garden Center in your area and ask for a "winterizer" fertilizer recommendation. They should be able to help you right away. It shouldn't be expensive either. I do it every fall for about $50-75.