Engine Engine Timing

earp

Forum Newbie
Threads
How can I line up flywheel properly when crankshaft has a damaged keyway?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why are you trying to set the timing if your "crankshaft has a damaged keyway"...?

BTW... Welcome to LMF... :smile:KennyV

earp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Because I can't afford to do anything else. If I can line up the flywheel accurately
I have an idea to fix the keyway.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
What engine is it?
How bad is the key way?
there is a lot of force trying to move the fly wheel away from its spot on the crank. thats why the key will usually shear if the assembly is not torqued very tight on a new key...
:smile:KennyV

earp

Forum Newbie
Threads
The keyway is widened at the top and allows the key to "lean"
I need to know if there's a way to line up the flywheel accurately
such as timing marks or similar method.

CajunCub

Threads
No small engine will have a timing adjustment because they have no distrubutor to adjust. Only the racers can do that with finer tooth gears installed and dialed in for slight adjustments. If you have a keyway problem, I would get an oversized piece of keystock and custom make a taylored key to fix your problems.

oldyellr

Threads
While a key can shear if the shaft taper is not seated properly, it's the taper, not the key that actually holds the flywheel in place. If the taper surfaces of the shaft and flywheel are in good shape, just align it as best you can and torque it to spec. It it's off by a fraction of a degree, it won't make any difference. If, however, the taper is galled from being loose and this is a last resort before scrapping the engine, maybe Loctite will keep it together.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How can I line up flywheel properly when crankshaft has a damaged keyway?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the shaft has been damaged, remove any burrs that may protrude above the tapered portion of the shaft. Obtain a tube of Prussian Blue/Dykem Blue and apply a thin coat to the shaft taper. Place the flywheel on the shaft and rotate it about a round. Remove the flywheel and check for blue transfer. Remove any high spots and repeat until full contact of the two mating surfaces is achieved. Wipe any residue from the surfaces with a lint free cloth, paper or your fingers and install the key straight and the flywheel. Torque nut to specifications. If the damage is too severe to install the key just eye ball the key way and key seat and assemble. That's close enough for a mower.