Export thread

Engine Series Inquiry on my new Mower

D

deere78

Can someone please tell me what series the below engine is in by looking at the below engine numbers? (Intek, Professional, or Commercial Turf) One guy thinks in just a rebadged Intek however my thoughts are JD would have went with a slightly better engine on the X series and also I can’t find any reference of a Intek with the cyclonic filtration system. The only Briggs engines I can find that are cyclonic are the Commercial Turf Series.

2017 John Deere X330
Briggs & Stratton 20HP Cyclonic
Model - 44j677
Type – 0001g1
Code160505yp

I

ILENGINE

The intek to professional series adds 50% longer engine life, among other improvements. The cyclonic commercial, adds better cooling, better air filtration, and supposedly stronger block. The commercial series would be one step below the Vanguard in quality.

D

deere78

Ok so which one of these series is my engine ?

D

deere78

I'm actually hoping that's the series it is but is there a way to be sure? Using the model and type info online I can't find any information.

Also, thanks guys.

I

ILENGINE

Double check you model number information. It doesn't show up in the parts lookup system. The intek and professional use the same oval air filter. The commercial uses the cyclonic

D

deere78

Double check you model number information. It doesn't show up in the parts lookup system. The intek and professional use the same oval air filter. The commercial uses the cyclonic

It's correct 44J677, it's on a 2017 Deere X330 and it looks like B&S just started making this engine in 2016 specially for Deer but there is no info as to which series it is.

J

Jack17

...is there a way to be sure?

Yes! Call this number (800) 444-7774 give'em all the info and wait for answer.

I

ILENGINE

It's correct 44J677, it's on a 2017 Deere X330 and it looks like B&S just started making this engine in 2016 specially for Deer but there is no info as to which series it is.

The parts diagram on the john deere site has all the parts and characteristics of the commercial series engine. cyclonic air cleaner, debris cleanout ports on the blower housing etc.

D

deere78

Yes! Call this number (800) 444-7774 give'em all the info and wait for answer.

Contacted customer service and at first they told me they have no information other than it being a vertical engine they then said it was an Intek. I explained to them that the only Briggs cyclonic engines that I could find where the commercial series and there are no example of Inteks with the cyclonic filtration system. They had another person investigate further and now say it's a professional series with the commercial turf cyclonic filtration system.

Still confused :confused2:

D

deere78

Huh

M

Mad Mackie

JD has and possibly still does manage the engine warranty on many of their machines. They buy engines from the manufacturers at lower prices this way and relabel JD.
My spin on your engine is that it is either an Intek or Pro series V twin that has a similar version of the Cyclonic Air Filtration System that is on B&S
Commercial Turf series engines. On the B&S website the parts manual is available in pdf form for the 44J600 series engines. The round air filter probably is a smaller diameter version of the commercial Turf engine filters. The filter is a different part number and uses the foam prefilter. The black plastic intake manifold on the Intek/Pro series engines and the single barrel carb indicate either an Intek or Pro series engine. They also changed the intake to cylinder head gaskets which were a problem on some engines with the plastic intake.
I strongly recommend that you use OEM oil and air filters and the oils that the operators manual recommends should you have a warranty situation happen.

D

deere78

JD has and possibly still does manage the engine warranty on many of their machines. They buy engines from the manufacturers at lower prices this way and relabel JD.
My spin on your engine is that it is either an Intek or Pro series V twin that has a similar version of the Cyclonic Air Filtration System that is on B&S
Commercial Turf series engines. On the B&S website the parts manual is available in pdf form for the 44J600 series engines. The round air filter probably is a smaller diameter version of the commercial Turf engine filters. The filter is a different part number and uses the foam prefilter. The black plastic intake manifold on the Intek/Pro series engines and the single barrel carb indicate either an Intek or Pro series engine. They also changed the intake to cylinder head gaskets which were a problem on some engines with the plastic intake.
I strongly recommend that you use OEM oil and air filters and the oils that the operators manual recommends should you have a warranty situation happen.

Thanks for the insight and it sounds like this engine is made just for JD and I will likely never know if it's a Intek or Pro. It also sounds like they made some positive mods with the filtration and gaskets.

Yeah I will be using JD oil for at least the 4 year warranty period.

J

Jack17

I will likely never know if it's a Intek or Pro.

Wow! This is so cool! It's almost like a quest to find the Holy Grail. Everybody knows that there was one but nobody knows what it looked like!?

D

deere78

Wow! This is so cool! It's almost like a quest to find the Holy Grail. Everybody knows that there was one but nobody knows what it looked like!?

Well to me it's not that big of a deal but more curiosity than anything. I'm genuinely surprised B&S couldn't come up with a clear answer and couldn't pull that model up in their system. I guess I could always ask Deere which series it is.

I would hope that they wouldn't use the cheapest of engines in their select series machines but who knows.

I

ILENGINE

The dealer parts lookup system doesn't show your engine, but if I go to the briggs dealer only portal and do a search for you model number I can get the parts diagram and the owners manual as a PDF. So your engine hasn't been updated into the briggs interactive parts lookup system yet.

D

deere78

The dealer parts lookup system doesn't show your engine, but if I go to the briggs dealer only portal and do a search for you model number I can get the parts diagram and the owners manual as a PDF. So your engine hasn't been updated into the briggs interactive parts lookup system yet.

Odd these engines were used all last year in the X330 so they have been around at least a year. Another oddity is when I look at Briggs engines on their site they don't list a 20HP 724 CC, the current 20HP v twins are only 656 CC. Will the parts diagram tell us what series it is?

M

mowerman05

if you google your model number there is a little info there.

D

deere78

if you google your model number there is a little info there.

Very little and none that will tell the series.

J

Jack17

O well and for whatever its worth, Ive asked this guy I know that runs pretty substantial in size landscaping business. Most of his equipment is Deere, so he knows a thing or two about it. Told me that most of Briggs V-Twins would have R, S, T or M in model numbers. "J" stands for Briggs that were put together by Deere...he says?! Rumor has it that Briggs couldn't build these engines fast enough for Deere so Deere asked them to provide all the parts and we'll put them together ourselves for our use...hence the J in model#. Sounds kind of far fetched but who knows?:anyone:

M

mowerman05

Very little and none that will tell the series.

My google search says it's a intel V twin.

D

deere78

My google search says it's a intel V twin.

I found one results claiming that and after calling the actual engine manufacturer they couldn't tell me what it is :confused:

I think I will ask Deere and see if they have insight. I think that what a previous poster said earlier will likely be what I find and I'm betting Deere actually built that engine using different series Briggs parts. This would also explain why Briggs themselves doesn't know. This would also explain why it seems the engine uses the commercial turf cyclonic filtration which isn't even available in the Intek or Pro. Also this engine has a 4 year warranty and the Intek/pro only has a 2 year warranty.

I

ILENGINE

I believe you have the commercial series engine. I also believe the engine was built by Briggs, for the exclusive use by Deere. The briggs owners manual for your engine list a 2 year warranty. If JD is offering a 4 year warranty that may mean they will handle the warranty internal to their system, like Sears did all their products.

If you go to the Kawasaki engine website and look up parts you will not find any of the engine variation numbers listed for engines on JD.

D

deere78

I believe you have the commercial series engine. I also believe the engine was built by Briggs, for the exclusive use by Deere. The briggs owners manual for your engine list a 2 year warranty. If JD is offering a 4 year warranty that may mean they will handle the warranty internal to their system, like Sears did all their products.

If you go to the Kawasaki engine website and look up parts you will not find any of the engine variation numbers listed for engines on JD.

I was hopeful that it was a commercial series but the plastic intake is telling me it's not or at least parts of it aren't. Strange that even the manufacture is unsure.

Yes the 4 year warranty is through Deere.

Either way my old 10 year cheap LA series has a single cylinder Intek and after many hours and hard use it still doesn't use oil and has never had a parts breakage other than a cable so I'm sure this one will be fine also. At least with the old one I know which engine it has.

I

ILENGINE

Your engine isn't the only one that briggs has with the plastic intake manifold of the intek/professional and the cyclonic air cleaner of the commercial.

S

SeniorCitizen

Try finding a P/N for a John Deere/ Briggs needle valve to replace the plastic bitch that sticks closed. They won't even show it in their diagrams. It must be hiding in the engine somewhere and Briggs people still don't know and it's been made for at least 6 years. The complete manifold must be removed to replace the needle valve and the electric solenoid pictured is impossible to replace. Better stay with your single cylinder.

Attachments

D

deere78

Your engine isn't the only one that briggs has with the plastic intake manifold of the intek/professional and the cyclonic air cleaner of the commercial.

I can find no other online examples of one other than the 44j677 engine.

I

ILENGINE

40N777 series, 40N877 series, 44N677 series, 44N877 series. Have the same air filter and intake manifold part numbers as your 44J677-0001-g1

J

Jack17

We need to call Deere's engine works in Waterloo, IA and get to the bottom of this!

D

deere78

40N777 series, 40N877 series, 44N677 series, 44N877 series. Have the same air filter and intake manifold part numbers as your 44J677-0001-g1

None of those have the "cyclonic" cleanouts like my engine does. Looks totally different from the pictures even though the air filter and intake are the same numbers.

X330 Engine.PNG

I

ILENGINE

It looks like the commercial and the professional use the same block. The differences are what air cleaner, intake and blower housing they are using on what engine.

D

deere78

Update

Talked to a Deere mechanic and it turns out that Deere did in fact build these engines using Briggs parts and from researching the parts numbers it looks like its a mix of Intek, Professional, and commercial series parts thrown together. The Deere guy said he thought it was something to do with it having a 4 year warranty but wasn't for sure.

This explains why Briggs customer service couldn't tell me what series the 44j677 cyclonic was in.

Boobala

Boobala

AHHhhhh yes the NEWER generation !!
go to college, get a degree in stupidity !!
This kind of Sheet didn't happen with the older generation handling the details of a business.
Juniors generation could give a damn less for anything but "get it out the door & get the Money "
Sorry I'm OLD SCHOOL (70 yrs old) RESPONSIBILITY is the key word ...of course I guess that
doesn't matter anymore ...half of this generation don't know their own sexual gender and don't care.
As long as they get money or support somewhere..somehow .. screw the rest of the world .
Used to be parts catalogs had cross-reference lists, compatability /exchange lists, and could tell you most any history of a part . Compared to thick bulky and cumbersome catalogs and manuals you would think the computer made life easy for compiling all this information .. SO ..what happened ??????...:confused2:

B

bertsmobile1

AHHhhhh yes the NEWER generation !!
go to college, get a degree in stupidity !!
This kind of Sheet didn't happen with the older generation handling the details of a business.
Juniors generation could give a damn less for anything but "get it out the door & get the Money "
Sorry I'm OLD SCHOOL (70 yrs old) RESPONSIBILITY is the key word ...of course I guess that
doesn't matter anymore ...half of this generation don't know their own sexual gender and don't care.
As long as they get money or support somewhere..somehow .. screw the rest of the world .
Used to be parts catalogs had cross-reference lists, compatability /exchange lists, and could tell you most any history of a part . Compared to thick bulky and cumbersome catalogs and manuals you would think the computer made life easy for compiling all this information .. SO ..what happened ??????...:confused2:

Greed
Information is both power & money so you only give away the minimum that you can.
With a computer you can both disclose & selectively hide or totally hide information.
You really notice it down here where the Briggs web site will only bring up current model engines and the service page tells you where the nearest dealer is.
The Kohler site is the same, if you don't live in continental USA you have to use a URL spoofing to gain access to information.
Old piston ring catalogues that contained the bore diameter, width & radial thickness along with the ring material & suitable bore material are so valued down here, people are paying big money for photocopies.
You can also control the market.
New ring catalogue is 900 pages and does not have a single dimension in it, just a make model & year indexed against apart number which is generally "temporarily out of stock"
Rep asked why I stopped ordering from their new "simplified" catalogue and was miffed when I told him I will now only use Total Seal rings because they don't treat me like an idiot.
If you don't want people to fix older models you just turn off the information about them

I

IVANTHE8TH

Update

Talked to a Deere mechanic and it turns out that Deere did in fact build these engines using Briggs parts and from researching the parts numbers it looks like its a mix of Intek, Professional, and commercial series parts thrown together. The Deere guy said he thought it was something to do with it having a 4 year warranty but wasn't for sure.

This explains why Briggs customer service couldn't tell me what series the 44j677 cyclonic was in.

I work at a JD dealer. I had one of the X330 come in for yearly maintenance. I saw the Intek engine had new/different designed valve covers, heads and blower housing. I tried to research it on my own and came across this forum talking about it. I race lawn mowers as a hobby and I'm always looking for ways to go faster. I talked to someone higher up in my company and she confirmed JD assembled those engines with parts made by Briggs and Stratton and they are built to JD specs. I am unsure of all the changes, but I bought a set of heads and the valves are bigger. :cool: