Export thread

Engine dies when I engage the blades???

H

Hardluck

2009 Lightning BadBoy with 32 hours on it. Yes really only 32 hours.

Mowed and worked fine last time I used it, a week ago. Now when I start the engine and then pull the switch to engage the blades the engine dies like a kill switch has been tripped.

The brake is off, the handles are in centered or even I am moving forward and the engine stops immediately. Engine RPM 3300. So there should be enough power to keep it running.

How I locate and test the safety switches or better, can I bypass then to verify them.

Thank you,

B

Bertrrr

Sounds like a safety switch , you'll need to bypass at least the blade engagement switch -

H

Hardluck

Thank you, can you post or PM the way to to that, please?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I imagine its still under warranty if you have one. sounds a like a problem for the dealer to me. don't start bypassing stuff if it is under warranty.
You'll either get hurt or void the warranty. or both.

H

Hardluck

It would be great if it was under warranty but itis a 2009 model.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Oh darn, somehow i read right over the 2009 part. 😒😒

B

bertsmobile1

TH switch is under the seat
If it is a 2 pin switch then either it needs to be jumped or unpluged
If it is a 4 pin flat plug then it can not be bypassed so you buy a new one, clamp it down & plug it in
Problem goes away = bad switch
Problem stays = bad wirings & you now have a spare switch .

H

Hardluck

Here is my final post concerning this issue.

After it was all said and done. it was the battery!! Go figure!!! how could the battery cause it? Well it turns out the the PTO has to have constant 12v running thru it to keep it engaged.

I thought that I would past this on hoping that it will help others fighting the same issue.

I will say the battery was totally off of my radar!

B

bnicol456

2009 Lightning BadBoy with 32 hours on it. Yes really only 32 hours.

Mowed and worked fine last time I used it, a week ago. Now when I start the engine and then pull the switch to engage the blades the engine dies like a kill switch has been tripped.

The brake is off, the handles are in centered or even I am moving forward and the engine stops immediately. Engine RPM 3300. So there should be enough power to keep it running.

How I locate and test the safety switches or better, can I bypass then to verify them.

Thank you,
I would first try to see if the brake switch is sticky by spraying with WD40, or something similar, then pushing the switch with your finger a few times. If that didn't help, I would check the switch with a multi meter. To check the switch, you would need to follow the wires or find a schematic. Another way is to disconnect the switch and try two things. One is to let it stay open (no switch connected), and the second is to close the circuit with a wire directly from on input to another. One should allow the blades to work and the other would not. That would at least verify the switch.

H

Hardluck

It was the battery. The switch needs 12 volt to stay engaged

H

Hardluck

Well I am back with the same or similar issue.
Battery is new and good.LOL

Mower set all winter , aft erht eleaf season.
Started up an ran for about 5 seconds.
I engaged the PTO...it died. Restarted ran a bout 3 seconds and engaged the PTO ..it died. Now it doesn't start or even try to start at all. The engine does turn over.
Any new ideas or ways for me to trouble shoot everything.

Tested The PTO switch , brake and lever steering stiches by engaging or disengaging each and the engine would not turn over if not n the proper position.

Seat switch appeared to work as it is not what made it die.

Thank. I need to to get running pretty quick and am about 60 miles from a dealer and not way to load or haul the mower.

HELP!!!

H

Hardluck

The seat switch is a two wire , but I can not get it unplugged. There doesn't seem to have any type of safety clasp but I have pulled with pliers on both sides if the plastic plug but i didn't want to break it.

Any idea?

The engine turns over like there may be a kill switch stuck!

H

Hardluck

Here is an update to my stupid posts.

I did get the seat switch plug unplugged, and the engine started with the jumper wire but.... as soon as I engaged the PTO the engine dies again.

How could it be several issues all at the same time. What could it be now?

Also just for the record in case I posted that it was a KOHLER engine, it is not it is a KAWASAKI 26HP

Thank you.

B

Bertrrr

Look at the wiring for the PTO , from your description it dies as soon as you engage the clutch, Pull the plug off the pto and engage it again , if it kills the machine there is a short to ground from that switch and not the PTO assembly. If it kills the machine start chasing wires and see where the problem may be.

B

bnicol456

Thank you, can you post or PM the way to to that, please?
You should have the manual the it came with. If, not, find one online. Mine shows all the parts and where they are located, however yours is 15 years old.

kbowley

kbowley

Does that have a "mow in reverse" cut out switch? Just a thought.

StarTech

StarTech

When will mower owners learn that there is many different mowers out there and many different ways of wiring them? We must have the equipment make and model at least. And please be aware some of us don't the time to dig your old posts just to guess what mower you currently working on.

Yes multiple failures can happen at the same time or cascade failures.

Just to give an idea here is what is currently in my small shop for repairs.
1712665197197.png
And Yes I know a Z925A has been in the shop for a long time. At least the customer has two other ZTRs that are his primaries mowers. Weather and health has delayed getting it out but it should out in a week. Nearly fully reassembled but rain is holding me off now.

And it appears the new style ignition JD is using has a high failure rate. I done found two in less than a year. This AUC18708 switch is expensive too from JD @ over $85. Anyway I ordered two this time so one be on the shelf for the next failure.

H

Hardluck

You should have the manual the it came with. If, not, find one online. Mine shows all the parts and where they are located, however yours is 15 years old.
Let me do an update,

I have been out of service (personally) since my last post. But here is my latest.

I have down loaded the lightning 2009 manual but it does not have , or I can not locate it. The PTO switch assy or fasteners that hold the plate. I have tried all of the torx and drivers that I have and nothing fits the screws. Can you get me the correct tool that I need to take of the plate that has the PTO ,deck and ignition switch on it.
Or some other way to get to it so I can test it.
The manual sucks and BAD BOY never called me back. Surprise surprise.
I have bypassed the seat switch and it starts and runs fine, like I said until I pull the PTO switch.

Just another comment from my last event like this.
The same thing but the battery was low on voltage and that prevented the PTO switch from working properly. NEW battery fixed the issue. Not the issue now, (wish it was that was an easy fix).

H

Hardluck

When will mower owners learn that there is many different mowers out there and many different ways of wiring them? We must have the equipment make and model at least. And please be aware some of us don't the time to dig your old posts just to guess what mower you currently working on.

Yes multiple failures can happen at the same time or cascade failures.

Just to give an idea here is what is currently in my small shop for repairs.
View attachment 68278
And Yes I know a Z925A has been in the shop for a long time. At least the customer has two other ZTRs that are his primaries mowers. Weather and health has delayed getting it out but it should out in a week. Nearly fully reassembled but rain is holding me off now.

And it appears the new style ignition JD is using has a high failure rate. I done found two in less than a year. This AUC18708 switcNice list of broken mowers.

No Badboys, Do you choose not to work on Badboys? I know they fail a lot.

H

Hardluck

I would first try to see if the brake switch is sticky by spraying with WD40, or something similar, then pushing the switch with your finger a few times. If that didn't help, I would check the switch with a multi meter. To check the switch, you would need to follow the wires or find a schematic. Another way is to disconnect the switch and try two things. One is to let it stay open (no switch connected), and the second is to close the circuit with a wire directly from on input to another. One should allow the blades to work and the other would not. That would at least verify the switch.
Just asking... how could it be the brake switch if it starts and I don't move the brake lever? It wouldn't start if the brake switch was bad... would it?

H

Hardluck

I got the pto, ignition switch cover plate off, now how do I check the switch . If continuity is OK then what?
Just to clear the ptk does engage the blades so that sho5prove that it is ok, right? Which blades on the pto switch can I jumper to test prove the ground wires?

H

Hardluck

I am not getting much help here now. Should I start a new thread or what?

BADBOY Lightning 2009. about 30 hours on the mower.
Here is my latest updates:
Seat switch, PTO, ignition switch and all 4 relays removed cleaned and tested. All good and working.
Seat switch tested ...good. (you can even hear it clicking when engaged and disengaged)
PTO switch tested .. good (you can even hear it clicking when engaged and disengaged)

Mower started and ran several times for short intervals. finally got it running for a couple minutes never good enough to engage the PTO , mostly had to have the choke full or half to keep it running. Only ran about 1/2 or 2/3 speed. Finally would not start until it sat with the ignition on (you can hear what seems to be the fuel pump running) for a minute or so. Then it would start and run poorly again. never good enough to even get it put of the garage to be able to have room to work it very well.
I looked at the fuel filter but of course you can't tell anything by looking. I am trying to locate the fuel shut of valve so that I can change the fuel filter but can not find one. Can't find one in the manual either (really poor manual).
Called Badboy and emailed them again and never get any replies.

Any and all advise or comments are appreciated, I am mid 70 years old and limited in my physical (and probably mental) abilities) but am really needing to get this thing running. Thanks again.

B

Bertrrr

If a safety was giving you problems the machine wouldn't even turn over , click or anything else so you don't have a safety switch problem in my opinion,
The PTO switch needs 12 volts on one of the wires , use a test light and hook it up to ground and touch off on each terminal of the switch with the Key on. Which ever one makes your light come on will be your power lead, now engage your PTO with the key on and see which other terminal makes your light come on, follow that wire to the PTO and make sure it's not shorted to ground , this will give you some direction.

B

Bertrrr

You're not going to get any help from Bad boy, from your description you have a carburator problem or fuel problem , if it will only run while choked , it's starving for fuel, change out your fuel filter and pull the line off at the fuel pump and see if it's flowing freely. Most machines do not have electric fuel pumps , take a few pics and attach so the smart guys can look at it.

H

Hardluck

Not really anything to take pictures of except a mower.
I wondered about the electrical pump but there is a slight sound of something running downby the engine. I am trying to find out how to turn the fuel off in order to change the filter.
I do t want to drain over 5 gallons if gas in a garage.

B

Bertrrr

Most don't have shut off valves , Just pull the supply line and stick a plug of some sort in it , best to get an in line valve and install it at this point for later. Have it ready with hose clamps and you should be good to go

H

Hardluck

Thank you, I try to find a gas shutoff valve. Is walmart a good place to get one?

B

Bertrrr

Auto parts will have a " small engine" area and will have something for you

H

Hardluck

Thank you very much

H

Hardluck

Update,

I managed to get the mower started and added enough gas treatment for it to run well enought and I mowed te lawn, Yahoo.!!!