E180, flywheel spins but motor won't start

GregTD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an E180 with snowblower attached. I used it just fine a couple days ago. Went to start it two days after it's last use, and the starter would spin but it didn't engage with the flywheel.

I managed to knock the Bendix loose, and now turning the key causes teh flywheel to spin. But the motor won't start.

I've tried adjusting the choke, which has worked in the past when it didn't want to start, but it's not appearing to do anything.

If it matters, it's ~5 degrees (F) outside, which is where my E180 is.

What should I try next, before I give up and take it to a mechanic?

Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At that temp I would make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carb is opening. An amount of water in to fuel would freeze the plunger, not allowing it to open.

GregTD

Forum Newbie
Threads
At that temp I would make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carb is opening. An amount of water in to fuel would freeze the plunger, not allowing it to open.
How difficult is it to get to the fuel shutoff solenoid to check it?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
the fuel shutoff solenoid should be on the bottom of the carburetor, just follow the fuel line to the carburetor, and you should see 1 red wire, or two wires hooked to it. depending on the type of it, you will need a thinned down 1/2" wrench or a thinned 12mm wrench, open end.
Now it should have a Briggs v-twin engine.
44s977
and the solenoid is located on the side of the carburetor bowl, 1642827545961.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a can of starting fluis and a new spark plug.
Gap and install new plug and spray a half second shot of starting fluid in carb and try to start without choking it. If it fires up for a couple seconds then repeat and this time with the chike on and see if it starts. If not you have a fuel delivery problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boy if it is the solenoid I hope it can be just cleaned in an USC using soap and water. Briggs has become proud of them at $135 list. Even at my distributor price of $97 is a tuff buy.

Noting here I have try several after market ones and so far they either don't work or fail with 6 months.

oneoldsap

Threads
Most of the Chinese aftermarket parts , are PURE JUNK , especially anything electronic !

GregTD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm happy to report that, after getting the weather to warm up to the point my john Deere probably got above freezing, it started.

So, probably some water in the fuel, that froze like Rivets said.

Is there some treatment I can do to my fuel to keep it from blocking up next time it gets really cold?

Thank you!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So far iso-HEET seems to be what works best.