Export thread

Dusty Lawns

X-man

X-man

How do you guys handle lawns that are extremely dusty?

I hate it because everytime I mow a lawn that throws dust like no tomorrow, I end up coughing like hell for a couple days after.

Carscw

Carscw

How do you guys handle lawns that are extremely dusty? I hate it because everytime I mow a lawn that throws dust like no tomorrow, I end up coughing like hell for a couple days after.

I try to only make left hand turns.
Drink water every yard.

You can wear a face mask or a bandanna.

My thing is getting it in my eyes.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Cause Those are the only kind of turns you race car drivers can make!

exotion

exotion

If you can get your customers hose wet it down real fast.

E

edd

i use a mask...ordered one from wolfsnout so that sunglasses dont fog up when wearing it.....so far i have not had to take benedryl after cutting all day

X-man

X-man

i use a mask...ordered one from wolfsnout so that sunglasses dont fog up when wearing it.....so far i have not had to take benedryl after cutting all day

I've considered wearing a mask. Can't keep breathing that crap in.

I might order some off of Uline pretty soon.

X-man

X-man

"Mowing" dust with a side discharge is another thing. I do the same thing with my tractor, making left turns. And I don't mind it.

I'm just talking about using a rear-bagged push mower. Dust gets in your face every time, no matter what you do.

exotion

exotion

I am telling you wet the lawn I keep a spray nozzle with me most customers have a hose doesn't take.much water to cut the dust. Another trick if you bag is wet the lawn mower bag it'll get dirty but will also collect the dust

Ric

Ric

"Mowing" dust with a side discharge is another thing. I do the same thing with my tractor, making left turns. And I don't mind it.

I'm just talking about using a rear-bagged push mower. Dust gets in your face every time, no matter what you do.

I think you're creating your own problem :eek: If your having that much of a problem with dust you don't need to be bagging. What you may want to consider doing is closing the chute on the mower and mulching what grass you have and put it back into the lawn so it has something to feed itself with. Remember a blade of grass is like 75 to 80% water and mulching grass provides about 25% of your fertilization needs back to the soil, it not only helps the grass water wise but it also helps feed the root system of the grass and should help thicken the lawn so you don't have a dust problem. By bagging the grass your just robbing the lawn from all of its nutritional needs and creating a dust bowl.

X-man

X-man

I think you're creating your own problem :eek: If your having that much of a problem with dust you don't need to be bagging. What you may want to consider doing is closing the chute on the mower and mulching what grass you have and put it back into the lawn so it has something to feed itself with. Remember a blade of grass is like 75 to 80% water and mulching grass provides about 25% of your fertilization needs back to the soil, it not only helps the grass water wise but it also helps feed the root system of the grass and should help thicken the lawn so you don't have a dust problem. By bagging the grass your just robbing the lawn from all of its nutritional needs and creating a dust bowl.

I never once thought of that. Wow. I clearly don't think. :laughing:

I should probably do that next time...
I am telling you wet the lawn I keep a spray nozzle with me most customers have a hose doesn't take.much water to cut the dust. Another trick if you bag is wet the lawn mower bag it'll get dirty but will also collect the dust

I would do exactly the same thing, but the thing is, almost everyone in my trailer park is extremely anal about water usage because the water bills here are pretty expensive, so trying to use someone else's water probably wouldn't end well. Even if it's for 30 seconds of running the hose.

If I have to, I could always bring a watering can with me. Just use my own water.

Carscw

Carscw

Just don't bag simple as that.

Ric

Ric

That's a good way to rot a bag out, and depending on location also a good way to burn a lawn.

exotion

exotion

That's a good way to rot a bag out, and depending on location also a good way to burn a lawn.

Curious how wetting a lawn mower bag would burn the lawn. And yes it definately shortenes the life of the bag

Ric

Ric

Curious how wetting a lawn mower bag would burn the lawn. And yes it definately shortenes the life of the bag

Wetting a lawn mower bag wont burn a lawn, but watering a lawn just enough to stop the dust in the middle of the day in bright sunlight and hot temperatures can cause more damage to the grass than not.

exotion

exotion

Guess that's true. Haven't had that happen yet but maybe o should rethink that technique

X-man

X-man

Wetting a lawn mower bag wont burn a lawn, but watering a lawn just enough to stop the dust in the middle of the day in bright sunlight and hot temperatures can cause more damage to the grass than not.

Same reason why you shouldn't water a garden while the sun is beaming on it in hot weather.

Ric

Ric

Guess that's true. Haven't had that happen yet but maybe o should rethink that technique

The other thing you can do is not cut it so often. Let your grass go for two or three weeks before cutting sometimes allows time for it too thicken. Cutting to often and too short promotes weed growth.

Carscw

Carscw

The other thing you can do is not cut it so often. Let your grass go for two or three weeks before cutting sometimes allows time for it too thicken. Cutting to often and too short promotes weed growth.

With all the dust he said he is getting. Some weeds might help.

X-man

X-man

With all the dust he said he is getting. Some weeds might help.

Not mowing it would also let the weeds grow (obviously :tongue:)

G

gabowman

Speaking of my personal yard.....it'll get cut after it rains and wets the ground a little. This time of the year I'm also cutting it much taller.

G

gabowman

Speaking of my personal yard.....it'll get cut after it rains and wets the ground a little. This time of the year I'm also cutting it much taller.