Export thread

Dump insert + extra leaf springs!?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Hello,

I've been thinking about getting a dump insert for my 04 Chevy 1500. We bag quite a bit when it rains a lot and during the spring and fall. We also dump weeds, haul mulch, dirt etc. in the bed of the truck. I am getting tired of emptying 6 cans of grass/day or pulling on tarps to empty the truck box.

What do you guys think about dump inserts in 1/2 ton trucks? I'd add bags or an extra set of spring leafs to handle the load better.

I also have a 6x12 landscape trailer that I use to haul stuff (tools or more mulch). I do want to keep it since it is nicely equipped with racks and a huge basket. It's very useful as a spare trailer or when we do mulch jobs. I don't feel like getting a dump trailer since I wouldn't use it much. I already pull all my equipment in an enclosed trailer and with the dump insert, things would go smoother and I wouldn't need to empty manually the truck box.

Any input would be appreciated.

D

Darryl G

Sounds like a good plan for your operation. A friend of mine/fellow landscaper has a dump insert in his 1/2 ton GMC for many of the same reasons you're considering one. He has a TruckCraft steel unit. As long as you realize that upgrading the suspension is only part of the equation and you'll still be pretty limited for both volume and weight I say go for it. You might want to consider getting an aluminum unit for its reduced weight, but they're a lot more expensive.

I went the dump trailer route but I don't bag much and most of my accounts have on-site disposal areas for when I do. I also needed a trailer that could haul my landscape tractor, so a low-profile dump was a good fit for me.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Thanks for the input!

Right now my search is not looking too good. I went to a local landscape expo yesterday. I asked two different companies for prices. On average it was 8 K for an aluminum one and 5-7 K for a metal one. For that money I could get a dump trailer... Makes no sense. I will keep on looking.

Is there anything else I should do to the truck apart from reinforcing the rear suspension? It's an 04 no rust in good condition, but it pulled all its life.

D

Darryl G

Yikes on the price!

I think you can get by with just adding a Timbren suspension kit. Never done it but a buddy of mine did and said it was simple/easy and works. That was on a 1-Ton Chevy dump though to handle his heavy V-Plow and for hauling his excavator. http://timbren.com/

Edit: Might want to add a transmission cooler?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yeah, the prices are outrageous. The downside of Canada. All from the U.S. costs a lot.

I'll check them out. They seem to have good products! I might install the bags even if I don't get the dump insert. My enclosed trailer is making my truck squat and squeak.

I also thought about waiting a few years and then get a 2500 truck and dump insert. Not sure how to deal with this.

C

Code54

Something to remember is that no matter what springs/bags you add you are still legally limited to the GVWR of the truck. Things like braking distance is also something to keep in mind. If you are ever in an accident and over the GVRW any lawyer is going to easily point out you were operating an overweight vehicle in a "reckless disregard for others safety." This could be rather costly to you, your company, or your insurance.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That is a very good point. I'll have to keep a close eye on the weight, but that seems to be hard with a dump insert. All tho it will mostly be full of grass, weeds or leaves. Occasional dirt and mulch.

C

Code54

Don't forget the weight of the insert itself - some are pretty light, some not so much. Not sure have it is up north but here in the states the tickets for an overnight load can sting a bit....
Good luck!!!

D

Darryl G

A friend of mine had a load handler. Not bad really but you usually need to dig out in front of the wheel wells or the material can get locked in place and then the mat just pulls out from under it. For commercial use would definitely want the heavy duty model.

BlazNT

BlazNT

A friend of mine had a load handler. Not bad really but you usually need to dig out in front of the wheel wells or the material can get locked in place and then the mat just pulls out from under it. For commercial use would definitely want the heavy duty model.

With some added 1x12 boards put in place so nothing will get to the places you talk about it could be an easy workaround.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That load handler is a nice idea! And the price is better also. I'll do more research on it!

I don't know what an overweight ticket is here. I've never had one nor heard about one. We don't have DOT here, but we do have the feds driving in pickup trucks and stopping trucks, trucks and trailers, etc for a nice inspection. A nightmare.

cpurvis

cpurvis

The rear wheel bearings in 1/2 ton pickups can only carry so much. I've destroyed some of these by thinking that 'if it fits in the bed, everything is fine.'

The load bearing capacity of front and rear axles and vehicle max GVW should be listed on the truck somewhere. Subtract the empty weight of the truck from listed max GVW and you will have the load you can legally carry on your truck.

If you limit yourself to this amount, you don't need to do anything to the truck.

If you decide to carry more than that, to do it right, you need to upgrade suspension, tires, brakes, plus engine and transmission cooling. In other words, you need a 3/4 or 1-ton truck.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Another good point. I'd need to check the GVW.

That is why I was thinking of waiting a few years to get a newer HD truck with a dump insert.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I did some research and found some dump trailers for 5 K made by Gator Made. This is making me think here.

cpurvis

cpurvis

When you use a trailer, the max Gross Combination Vehicle Weight (GCVW) determines how much you can carry. This number will be on the same data plate that had GVW and axle weights.

Subtract the empty weights of the truck and trailer from GCVW to determine how much weight you can legally carry when the truck is combined with a trailer.

You can carry much more weight; that's why there we see so many pickups pulling trailers these days.

D

Darryl G

A dump trailer isn't going to help you with your grass clippings though. There is one other option - converting your existing truck bed into a dump bed. It could be an option for you but it's not without issues. You will need to modify the fuel fill in order to fill from the wheel well or raise the bed a bit to fuel up the truck. Also you will need to modify or replace the rear bumper and tow hitch. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_479690_479690 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8I4VpXju8U

Edit: Or there's this somewhat Redneck idea, lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODaJOAg9M0

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

When you use a trailer, the max Gross Combination Vehicle Weight (GCVW) determines how much you can carry. This number will be on the same data plate that had GVW and axle weights.

Subtract the empty weights of the truck and trailer from GCVW to determine how much weight you can legally carry when the truck is combined with a trailer.

You can carry much more weight; that's why there we see so many pickups pulling trailers these days.

The truck has GCVW of 6100 lbs and can tow 7500 lbs. It has a max payload of 2053 lbs. After a crew and trailer adding the dump itself will start hurting the truck.

A dump trailer isn't going to help you with your grass clippings though. There is one other option - converting your existing truck bed into a dump bed. It could be an option for you but it's not without issues. You will need to modify the fuel fill in order to fill from the wheel well or raise the bed a bit to fuel up the truck. Also you will need to modify or replace the rear bumper and tow hitch. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_479690_479690 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8I4VpXju8U

Edit: Or there's this somewhat Redneck idea, lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODaJOAg9M0

I've never seen those around here. In Canada we are more limited with certain products and get hurt with the exchange rate.

If I go the dump trailer route, I can load more and haul more when I do small landscaping jobs, leafs jobs, etc.
But, I am not sure if I go the galvanized route for 6300$ or just a metal one for 5000$. I don't want to regret my purchase, but I don't want to spend a lot since this dump will not always be used.

D

Darryl G

My dump trailer sits most of the time to the point that the tires dry-rotted and started leaking with plenty of tread left on them after 10 years of ownership. I probably don't use it more than a dozen times a year yet I still wouldn't want to be without it. Mine is a low profile model and the loading height (less than knee high) is sweet for a solo guy like me. What I can't lift onto it I can slide up my ramps easily.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

How is the trailer's paint after 10 years?
Debating on zinc coated or not.

D

Darryl G

It's actually 12 years old now and the paint is pretty good. It's powder coated I think. There are a couple pics of it accessible through my profile that I put up the other night. That or just go through the photo gallery. Pics are within the last 2 years or so. One side of the gate is a little rusted from where I had a magnetic sign on it. Some flaking here and there and a little surface rust underneath.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That trailer still looks very good after 10 years! That is good to know.