drive belt smoking, but why?

gregg2

Forum Newbie
Threads
The drive belt is the one that is supposed to be smoking
So first thing to do is to verify that it is the drive belt by removing it and checking for burn marks
After first removing the deck belt & checking it for burn marks
I am skeptical about it being the drive belt because there is nothing the deck belt can do that would cause the drive belt to burn before the deck belt burnt
A belt can only burn by being held static against a revolving pulley
I am with Rivets on this and will expect to find the new deck belt is too short and that is what is burning

Gregg
When you install the deck & belt . can you fit your little finger between the deck belt & the deck drive pulley all the way round with the blade engagement lever in the off position ?
If not then the new belt is too short
You can also check by comparing the two belts.
Mower belts do not stretch, they wear thin on the sides so you put one on top of the other & mark a line across the back of them together
Hold them together with one hand and draw the belts through that hand with your other hand
If they are the same length then the line will be together when you pull it through again.
If not the distance between the two lines is the incorrect length .
Note the marked length of a belt is "nominal" so +/- 0.5" is usual .

NB:-
USA belt sizes are the outside circumference
UK & most Commonwealth countries it is the inside length
EU use the effective length
Thanks for the tips Bertsmobile. You were right to be skeptical about the drive belt being that one that was burning. To my naked eye, that is 100% what it looked like when it was happening, but upon closer inspection, the mower belt is the one that has burns on it. Haven't got it back together yet to test, but I was definetly on the wrong side of that spindle brake. Hopefully, the belt's not too short as well.

gregg2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most likely you don’t have the belt routed correctly. Please post back with the model number, located under the seat and the belt number you used. Then we can give you a better idea on how to proceed.
Thanks for the help Rivets. It seems like I did not have in routed correctly, indeed. Thanks for the nudge to provide more info.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the tips Bertsmobile. You were right to be skeptical about the drive belt being that one that was burning. To my naked eye, that is 100% what it looked like when it was happening, but upon closer inspection, the mower belt is the one that has burns on it. Haven't got it back together yet to test, but I was definetly on the wrong side of that spindle brake. Hopefully, the belt's not too short as well.
Get yourself a new belt because that one will probably fail before the end of the season
If you find the deck vibrates badly then toss it strait away
Those decks are pretty flimsey and crack at the slightest provocation
OTOH belts are not cheap .