Repairs Drive belt slips/wont mow up hill..

rockstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a 2004 Troy-Bilt Bronco (13AJ609G766).

I recently broke the lower drive belt while cutting through some talller weeds on my property. I replaced it with a belt I purchased from Lowes, can't remember the name/brand. But the assisant and I checked to ensure it was the correct part.

Now there doesn't seem to be as much traction and the mower comes to a stop on the slightest incline.

I am guessing that either the belt isn't gripping properly or the pullies need some cleaning or maybe a different brand of belt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Here's a link to the belt I replaced it with..

Shop Troy-Bilt Drive Belt for Riding Mower/Tractors at Lowes.com

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I might be wrong but is there not two drive belts?

You have to replace them as a set it you replace one it just don't work

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Rickshawky

Threads
I don't have a Bronco but a Pony, but thinking they are pretty much alike.
Find the Control Rod that go's to the Variable Speed pulley. this is a double pulley, one belt is the drive belt and the other small belt go's to the transmission.
Under it connecting to the bracket that the pulley is sitting on is a threaded rod with an adjustment. Moving the adjustment toward the front of the mover will tighten up the belts up.
Take a look at my video in this forum called "Full Video How to Troy-Bilt Pony Drive-Belt replacement" ... at 3:43 in this video you will see the pulley I'm talking about here. Your going to have to remove the back deck as do in this video also to see and get to this pulley and adjustment.

[h=2][/h]

rockstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah! Variable speed pulley, bit like a mo-ped, I see how it works now, was wondering how the pedal adjusted the drive speed without the throttle. ( Car guy! )

The upper belt looks old too, so I guess I should have replaced it anyhow, i'll pick one up from Lowes later and adjust the linkage per your reccomendations, I also found an earlier version of the owners manual online. It shows how to adjust the linkage, when the newer manual doesn't.

Also I am starting to hear some squeeling when the pedel engages, I am thinking its the pullies do you guys have any advice on how to lube them? or which one might need attention?

Right now when its cold, it seems to move fine, but after 10 mins of mowing it slows down without any reduction in engine noise, i'm thinking belt slipping or maybe the center sliding rotator (idk what its called) on the variable speed pulley is getting stuck, and thats what broke my first belt, i remember the smoke coming from the rear of the tractor could this be causing the squealing?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I said before YOU HAVE TO replace both belts so that they will work together.
The whole set up is for them belts to work as a team. You replace one now you have one good belt and one wore out belt how can they work together. If you have to make the adjustment then you have other things going on as well.
My MTD is a 1990 just to name one of over 50 of them. And have never had to make the adjustment

rockstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
As I said before YOU HAVE TO replace both belts so that they will work together.
The whole set up is for them belts to work as a team. You replace one now you have one good belt and one wore out belt how can they work together. If you have to make the adjustment then you have other things going on as well.
My MTD is a 1990 just to name one of over 50 of them. And have never had to make the adjustment

Thanks, I did as you suggested and replaced the top belt, and its working perfectly.

Thanks for your advice.
Rockstar.