Export thread

Don't bother to sharpen those blades!

N

N2STC

Ha! I got you to look. I like to post conversation starters.
Seriously though:
I agree that sharp blades make a difference, the first time you mow.
Has anyone ever sharpened their blades, mowed once and checked them?
I did. It seems to me they were just about as dull as before I sharpened them. Maybe I didn't do it right.

Happy debating!
Stan

I

ILENGINE

And that is the reason that razor sharp blades are not recommended and leaving a slightly blunt edge is ;preferred.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You can sharpen them to a razor's edge but after a few minutes of mowing they will blunt to a certain point and stay that way a fairly long time. I put a set of Gator G6 blades with Fusion edge at the beginning of last season. They are still sharper than a regular blade after about 75 hours of use.

tom3

tom3

The angle of the tip is something to consider too. A steep angle is a bit stronger for rough area mowing while a longer narrow angle might stay sharp longer. With that angle I can usually sharpen the blades in mid season and at the end ready for next year.

StarTech

StarTech

You must have been looking at the set blades I replaced this morning. So badly worn no point in sharping them.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Like the set i changed last week. Cust complained of clumping and not blowing the grass out. The lifts on the blades were worn completely off.