Export thread

Dixie Chopper 2760HP vs. Bad Boy Lightening Z vs. Big Dog X1060

R

Rad10

Okay I have looked at so many ZTRs now I'm going crazy. I'm wanting to stay as close to 8K as possible and looking at commerical mowers because i like the heavier deck/build.

Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 2760HP with Generac air cooled 27hp, 60inch deck
Nice machine and appears to leave a great cut but only tested at the dealer. Ride was as good as expected with the suspension seat and all.

Concern is with the Generac, I have read mixed reviews. One thing that does concern me is I read they eat up the fuel and not much mowing per tank. The tank only hold 6 gallons.

Bad Boy Lightning Z 26HP Kawaski liquid cool, 60inch deck
appears to be very solid, cut looked good but hard to tell as tested at the dealer in the ditch (all that was available) and was not very tall grass to start with. Sits up a little higher than the other ZTR's and not sure i like this but $300 cheaper and based on research engine should last longer.

Big Dog X1060 26HP Kawaski air cooled, 60inch deck
This mower is made by the same company that makes Hustler. Actually appears to be an older model Hustler with red paint.
Built solid cut okay. my grass was a little tall in one area and taller in another. Seemed to cut fine if i slowed down in both but cut the taller thicker grass no problem going fast.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of either of these mowers? I like the chopper but little hestitate on the Generac, plus i read it was a real gas guzzler but i'm not sure. Either one seems like it would do the job just looking for input.

Thanks,
Mark

CarlGlas

CarlGlas

With 2760 HP, where do you sit? :laughing:

F

FRISKY

I am using a 2001 Dixie Chopper with a 27HP Kohler and it is the best mower I have ever used. It cuts very fast and smooth. It uses about 1.5 gallons to mow three acres (1/2-gallon per acre) Most days it cuts an acre in about 20-minutes no matter how tall the grass is.

I don't know anything about the Generac engines.

I

indypower

What about the Iron Eagle? 25hp Kohler/ 60" cut. 2 hp really makes no noticeable difference.

CarlGlas

CarlGlas

Here's a little information about Generac that I didn't know. I have a 30 hp engine on my generator and always thought it looked like a B&S Vangard engine. From reading the article it seems that B&S modeled their engine after Generac's design.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_7_71/ai_n14838962/

RockHound

RockHound

My neighbor bought a Dixie Chopper about three years ago and he is still thrilled with it. It's been a quick little mower and the zero turn radius is perfect for his lawn which has a lot of trees and plants in it. I am actually considering getting one for next year maybe.

Y

YooTeeAyud

I have the Bad Boy Lightning Z, 26hp LC Kawasaki, 60" deck...I bought it last year and have mixed feelings. First, I had a short in the starter fuse block (Bad Boy sent me a new one...I installed it myself), Second, I had to spend an inordinate amount of time leveling the deck (not an easy task for one 'not-so-mechanically-inclined'...the shop that sold it to me was 34 miles away, so I adjusted it myself), Third, I keep throwing my drive belt...I know it's an adjustment problem, but a mower with less than 50 hours shouldn't need constant adjusting, and Last, this thing collects enough grass under the deck to fill a 5-gallon bucket with each cutting of my 2-acre lawn. I don't know why, it just does. There is no way to clean it, unless you drive it up on a pair of automobile ramps and use a pressure washer to blow away the 'accumulated sod' it gathers with each mowing.

The TWO greatest things about this mower are: (1) This thing cuts ALL the grass at 15 miles per hour (and I DO mean ALL the grass...it's like a having your own private 'lawn-barber'...beautiful job...always!), and (2) It has fewer moving parts, which should always equal 'fewer repairs'. It's built like a tank and is very solid-feeling while mowing.

Would I ever buy another one??? I did an immense amount of comparison-shopping prior to pulling the trigger on the Bad Boy. I don't think you can duplicate the quality of the machine, for any less money. True, I've had a couple of irritating problems, but all-in-all this thing is the bomb! Nothing can keep up with it while mowing...NOTHING! Speed isn't everything...but a manicured lawn behind it is...I was completely convinced after the first cutting! I stand by my first impression.

WISCOPROUD

WISCOPROUD

go w/ dixie IMO. :biggrin:

C

capt

Hi,

Don't know about the Dixie chopper but I use a 48" bad boy. I really like the bad boy and the seat is very comfortable and the cut is great.

I mow at a KOA campground and we have a lot of camp sites and a lot of turning around the utilities and plants.

Capt

WISCOPROUD

WISCOPROUD

Never used a bad boy but heard from people in the industry its a flash in the pan. If they do go away good luck gettn service or parts. just sayn:cool:

R

Rivets

The few Bad Boys I've seen are very well constructed. No problems with them, just in for spring tune-ups and check over. All three owners sing their praises, but I have not had a chance to give them a real test.

WISCOPROUD

WISCOPROUD

i would definitely give Toro, gravely, Snapper Pro a good look. Very nice machines W/ a loooong track record of quality

SUPERIOR MAINTENANCE

SUPERIOR MAINTENANCE

i just bought the big dog r series 60" with the kawi 26........i miss my great dane chariot 60" with the 26 kohler command pro efi it had a 10 gallon tank i would fill once a week doing A LOT of cutting,dont have much to say about the big dog yet except smooth and comfortable

M

mahindradon

Okay I have looked at so many ZTRs now I'm going crazy. I'm wanting to stay as close to 8K as possible and looking at commerical mowers because i like the heavier deck/build.

Nice machine and appears to leave a great cut but only tested at the dealer. Ride was as good as expected with the suspension seat and all.

Concern is with the Generac, I have read mixed reviews. One thing that does concern me is I read they eat up the fuel and not much mowing per tank. The tank only hold 6 gallons.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of either of these mowers? I like the chopper but little hestitate on the Generac, plus i read it was a real gas guzzler but i'm not sure. Either one seems like it would do the job just looking for input.

Thanks,
Mark

I've been around Dixie Choppers for 3 years now and they have a bunch of products that should fit your needs. If fuel is your concern you should look at a Magnum. The 22 and 24 hp kawasaki engines are fuel sippers and they just introduced a solid 23 hp Kohler with electronic fuel injection that will really do good on fuel consumption not to mention more ethanol compatible. The Magnum has the same high quality American made components as the High priced Dixie Choppers. Did you know that Dixie Chopper builds almost the entire machine from scratch in their Coatsville Indiana facility? I've watched them weld and fabricate the decks and frames from solid sheets of steel.
If you really want a beast, check out the Classic 2760T or 3560T. They come with Kawasaki FX industrial grade engines and hold 14 gallons of fuel and have easy to read fuel guages on top of the Stainless Steel tanks. It is in your price range and you might have a local dealer willing to go way below what you mentioned and give you 0% interest for 48 months and no payments until April 1st 2013. I know I would if you lived in NC.
Good luck!

Gregster

Gregster

I have the Bad Boy Compact Diesel 60".
Built like a tank. I picked up the electric snow blade for the drive.
Now I look forward to mowing AND plowing!
Also picked up a tow behind rake.
Never even bogs down on any of it's duties.
Very happy with the buy!

C

cajunmobster

I've had My Bad Boy 60" Pup for 2 1/2 yrs now......love it like the first day I got it still.....mine has the 31hp Kawasaki eng....NEVER had ANY problems with mine,I cut 3 1/4 acres here and ride it 1/2 mile down road to cut my Mothers 1 acre....only dissapointed when run out of grass to cut....this mower doesn't discriminate against whatever I put in front of it.....I looked at a lot of mowers before this purchase and I'm very satisfied:smile:...not trying to persuade anyone what to buy,just do yourself a favor and research.....my next door neighbor just bought a new dixie chopper60" golden eagle.....it's a nice mower,just not built anywhere as nice as My Pup....it's faster (14 V 10) but both of our yards aren't golf coarses either,plus he paid 2,500$ more....and yes everybody can buy a lemon in all of these mowers also from time to time...just do yourself a favor and research......no matter what YOU prefer

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I've had My Bad Boy 60" Pup for 2 1/2 yrs now......love it like the first day I got it still.....mine has the 31hp Kawasaki eng....NEVER had ANY problems with mine,I cut 3 1/4 acres here and ride it 1/2 mile down road to cut my Mothers 1 acre....only dissapointed when run out of grass to cut....this mower doesn't discriminate against whatever I put in front of it.....I looked at a lot of mowers before this purchase and I'm very satisfied:smile:...not trying to persuade anyone what to buy,just do yourself a favor and research.....my next door neighbor just bought a new dixie chopper60" golden eagle.....it's a nice mower,just not built anywhere as nice as My Pup....it's faster (14 V 10) but both of our yards aren't golf coarses either,plus he paid 2,500$ more....and yes everybody can buy a lemon in all of these mowers also from time to time...just do yourself a favor and research......no matter what YOU prefer

WELCOME TO LMF!
It sounds like you have a nice mower. Could you post some pictures of it?

The Don'z

The Don'z

appears to be very solid, cut looked good but hard to tell as tested at the dealer in the ditch (all that was available) and was not very tall grass to start with. Sits up a little higher than the other ZTR's and not sure i like this but $300 cheaper and based on research engine should last longer.

This mower is made by the same company that makes Hustler. Actually appears to be an older model Hustler with red paint.
Built solid cut okay. my grass was a little tall in one area and taller in another. Seemed to cut fine if i slowed down in both but cut the taller thicker grass no problem going fast.

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Mark, I have a 09 2760 Classic with the Generac engine and in the past 3 years the only thing that's gone bad is 1 belt and the PTO switch. I'm an owner/operator of a small lawn service in Texas, and can mow approx. 8-10 acres on 6 Gal's of gas.
the generac has never failed me. Hope this helps you out in your decision.

L

lesplay2

Thanks,
Mark
mark,im jeff i have a 2008 66 inch chopper w 27 horse generac great mower,
heavy duty to the core,i run 6 days a week 12 hours a day an good on fuel also ,steering is a little mushy after all this time but just got rebuild kits for pumps,will update after repairs,take care jeff

The Don'z

The Don'z

Thanks,
Mark

Rad, I own a 2760 DC Classic,, I love it, and I do get fairly good gas yardage? lol, mine has the electric deck lift, there's some pros and cons on that,, it takes a little while to lift the deck, not like a foot operated where you can just step on it, and I've had to replace 2 switches for the deck lift in 3 years. ($3.50 ea.) watch at maint. budget lol,, but the Generac has been a wonderful engine, I run Mobile 1 in both the engine and the Hydr. system (you can do that with DC.) just keep the maint. up on it and it will serve you for many years.
but it all comes down to personal preference.

The Don'z

The Don'z

I have a 2006 Dixie Chopper Classic 2760 with the Generac engine and love it, power to spare, fast, and I get about 5 acres on 6 gallons of gas if the grass isn't over 12 inches high. FYI. I do not have the "red engine" generac, mine is older model black engine air cooled.

D

dixieseller

Thanks,
Mark

I've been selling the Dixie with the Generac engines since 2006, I like the Power on these engines, they do not slow down in tall, or heavy grass like most other engines. I use a 33HP on a 72' Dixie and it may use a little more gas but at 990cc, I like the power. I just tested a customers 27HP Silver Eagle in 28" grass never slowed down.