Disassembling simplicity deck

joe.hayes.irl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a simplicity regent xlrd 22hp with a 42" deck. I purchased it in 2008 and the deck is now rusted through. I have taken it all apart except for the spindles (shafts). The rust is holding it tight and I don't want to damage the thread at both ends. I have used lots of WD40 to free it up but to no avail. Any ideas of how best to take it apart would be appreciated. Diagram and pics attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-20-13-00-01-998_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-20-13-00-01-998_com.android.chrome.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220320_132519.jpg
    IMG_20220320_132519.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220320_132930.jpg
    IMG_20220320_132930.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 16

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WD-40 doesn’t bust rust, you’ll need to use a product like PB Blaster. Soak for at least 24 hours.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Plus you may need heat and a bearing separator puller. Use of a brass hammer is advisable too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not familiar with this particular assembly
However from the IPL I would get a short socket headed cap screw to replace the blade bolt
Flip the housing over and lay into the cap screw
If you can get your hands on a demolition hammer or air hammer the job will be a lot easier as the 10,000 + little taps a minute works a lot better and does a lot less damage than a massive big blow with a heavy hammer
I grind down one of the pointed tools to a flattish end that will go into the hole in the cap screw
The I lean heavy on the toll and pull the trigger
It is very important that the tool never looses contact with the surface or it will do what chisels do
In come really stubborn cases I have mounted the spindles & air hammer in my press and put about 1/2 ton on it before pulling the trigger.
Some can take days to get out but most will give up after an hour or so .
You can do the same from the top but to do it properly you need to put the nut back on or make a blind threaded hole is a block of steel and strike it to protect the end of the shaft
Some times all you can do is work both ends , hit the exposed shaft with a fine wire brush to polish it then flip the spindle over and do the same to the other end
I had some Ariens Zoom spindles that had to be done that way . Each flip only got about .020" to .040" more movement so it was an all night job.
Also beware that the bearings used in steel spindle housing are often C3 because they are an interfearance fit in the housing which you can do with steel & not with alloy housings.
I got caught out ( should have known better ) doing one a while back & the crush on the std bearings prevented the shaft spinning freely .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
just reinforcing what someone else said. WD40 does nothing to release a rusty bolt or nut. Use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on them. Both have special acids in them that help shrink the rust particles as well as lubricate.

oneoldsap

Threads
I have a simplicity regent xlrd 22hp with a 42" deck. I purchased it in 2008 and the deck is now rusted through. I have taken it all apart except for the spindles (shafts). The rust is holding it tight and I don't want to damage the thread at both ends. I have used lots of WD40 to free it up but to no avail. Any ideas of how best to take it apart would be appreciated. Diagram and pics attached.
WD-40 is for drying things out , like ignition systems and such . It has zero lubrication qualities , and zero penetration qualities . The WD in WD-40 stands for water displacing , the 40 is the 40th formulation they tried , worked . Clean your decks properly , and they won't rust out !