Difficult starting, but only with electric start

RonS993

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is really strange. My one week old HRX217HZA really gave me a hard time starting when it was slightly warmed up, but only with the electric start... It just cranked the engine but no start. Using the recoil starter, started right up on less than one pull! I tried several times and even eventually ran the battery down. But it started right up every time with one pull on the rope. This is one of the K4 models with the alternator and smaller 1.2 Ah 12v battery.

I waited about 20 minutes and did some mowing with the tractor, and when I went back, it started right up with the electric starter again. Anyone have any ideas about whats up, or is it time to bring it back to the dealer?

I should add that it was rather cool with the outside temp barely above 50 degrees F. I'm wondering if auto-choke system might be involved?

Regards,

Ron

Last edited:

dfbrown

Threads
This is really strange. My one week old HRX217HZA really gave me a hard time starting when it was slightly warmed up, but only with the electric start... It just cranked the engine but no start. Using the recoil starter, started right up on less than one pull! I tried several times and even eventually ran the battery down. But it started right up every time with one pull on the rope. This is one of the K4 models with the alternator and smaller 1.2 Ah 12v battery.

I waited about 20 minutes and did some mowing with the tractor, and when I went back, it started right up with the electric starter again. Anyone have any ideas about whats up, or is it time to bring it back to the dealer?

I should add that it was rather cool with the outside temp barely above 50 degrees F. I'm wondering if auto-choke system might be involved?

Regards,

Ron
Did you 1st plug in and charge the electric start right when you got the mower. There is a honda video i saw I thought they plugged it in 1st for 24hours then used it and when the mower runs it charges itself after that. Something along the way of that. Look on youtube I know there is a video on it also READ THE OWNERS MANUAL. I used to work in the motorcycle industry and you wouldnt believe how many people never ever look in there for any info. let me know how you make out. Bad AZZ mower they cut real real good. Best mower under a grand by far. I am saying it may not be charged enough for the initial 1st electric start.

As far as auto choke goes I know its out there that if you start the mower cold and then say turn it off within about 3 minutes (not heat soak hot yet) or you go to say engauge the bbc early and it caughs or stalls and then try to restart it will not restart. There is something with the auto choke that works off of heat temp and it 1st chokes the mower to start and then when it heats up it goes into fast mode. I also know there is a video on this on youtube. Ask Robert@Honda that is here on the site. He is the man and could ask a honda tech or he would know himself. Good luck

RonS993

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you 1st plug in and charge the electric start right when you got the mower. There is a honda video i saw I thought they plugged it in 1st for 24hours then used it and when the mower runs it charges itself after that. Something along the way of that. Look on youtube I know there is a video on it also READ THE OWNERS MANUAL. I used to work in the motorcycle industry and you wouldnt believe how many people never ever look in there for any info. let me know how you make out. Bad AZZ mower they cut real real good. Best mower under a grand by far. I am saying it may not be charged enough for the initial 1st electric start.

As far as auto choke goes I know its out there that if you start the mower cold and then say turn it off within about 3 minutes (not heat soak hot yet) or you go to say engauge the bbc early and it caughs or stalls and then try to restart it will not restart. There is something with the auto choke that works off of heat temp and it 1st chokes the mower to start and then when it heats up it goes into fast mode. I also know there is a video on this on youtube. Ask Robert@Honda that is here on the site. He is the man and could ask a honda tech or he would know himself. Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I did charge the battery for 24 hours, so I don't think that was the issue. My dealer said it was charged before delivery, but I gave it a cycle on the Battery Tender just to be sure. I think you're right about the auto-choke... perhaps the combination of my not having completely warmed up the engine, along with the relatively cool temps that day caused an issue with the choke.

Later that day, I did notice that if I closed the throttle to nearly the lowest speed position, it would start immediately with either the electric start or the recoil starter.

It's supposed to warm back up to near 90 degrees next week, so it'll be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

BTW, the mower cuts beautifully... definitely the best mulcher/bagger I've ever used.

Regards,

Ron

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is really strange. My one week old HRX217HZA really gave me a hard time starting when it was slightly warmed up

So most modern Honda mowers have an AutoChoke feature.

When the engine is cold, a spring holds the choke plate closed. After the engine is started, and becomes fully warmed up, a special wax cylinder pushes a small piston/pin out that forces the choke plate to open. When you turn off the engine and it cools down, the piston/pin is pressed down by the choke spring and the choke plate closes again.

However, sometimes, the choke plate can bind, and the spring isn't strong enough to close it, even though the engine has cooled off and the piston/pin has retracted. This can make a cold start impossible.

In most situations, a good dealer can inspect and determine the exact issue, and these are generally considered a warranty expense.

RonS993

Forum Newbie
Threads
So most modern Honda mowers have an AutoChoke feature.

When the engine is cold, a spring holds the choke plate closed. After the engine is started, and becomes fully warmed up, a special wax cylinder pushes a small piston/pin out that forces the choke plate to open. When you turn off the engine and it cools down, the piston/pin is pressed down by the choke spring and the choke plate closes again.

However, sometimes, the choke plate can bind, and the spring isn't strong enough to close it, even though the engine has cooled off and the piston/pin has retracted. This can make a cold start impossible.

In most situations, a good dealer can inspect and determine the exact issue, and these are generally considered a warranty expense.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I guess what really has me stumped is that the mower fired up immediately every time I used the recoil starter, but would just crank away without a pop using the electric start. Is there any kind of compression release or something similar that is engaged only when the electric start is used? The mower is just over one week old, so it should most definitely be covered by warranty.

I'll try it again this weekend and see how it behaves in the warmer temps. I suspect the cold temps this last weekend caused the mower to cool down quickly, especially since it was barely warmed up at the time.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Ron

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there any kind of compression release or something similar that is engaged only when the electric start is used? The mower is just over one week old, so it should most definitely be covered by warranty.

There is a compression release device on the exhaust valve. it's a tiny cam-type device that briefly holds the exhaust valve open (no compression) until the crankshaft is spinning fast enough so centrifugal force causes the release to retract, and let the exhaust valve start working properly.

In this case, it does indeed sound like the starter/battery is not spinning the engine fast enough, so the compression release stays engaged and not allow the engine to start. For sure, the battery should be tested/replaced as needed.