Deck setting question for jd S180

Jlplawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, so I have a brand new S180. I am following the instructions in the manual which says to set the front of the deck 1/8-1/4 inch lower than the rear of the deck. When I get done with that, I happen to look at the blades and I see that the forward part of the middle blade cutting edge (when aligned front to back) is maybe 1/4 inch below the front lip of the deck and 180 degrees away the blade edge is almost 3/4 in higher than the forward part of the blade. Is this normal? I know you want to avoid double cutting the grass, but this seems excessive. It appears as though the rotational plane of the blades is not parallel to the plane of the deck lip but is angled down to the front of the machine. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

bkeller500

Threads
Leveling the deck side to side and front to back moves the entire deck and all 3-blades. A front to back adjustment should change the height of all 3-blades. I can't imagine a blade would stick out below the deck by design. It sounds more like the middle spindle is installed incorrectly. Since it is new and I would consider it dangerous, I would contact the dealer and get it fixed by them and/or replaced. I would not recommend using that deck to mow until it is fixed properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The side of the deck are not necessarily parallel to the plane of the blades by design .
When you level the deck, usually you measure from the tip of the blades to the ground, not the edge of the deck unless like the old Murrays , the deck is designed to be levels off the pressing & not the blades .
Most decks are a little higher at the front to prevent letting

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, I’ve never seen a deck where the blades extended below the deck. Extremely dangerous. Get thee back to the dealer, something is obviously wrong. Bert, I was taught to many years ago that the blade tip in the rear of the deck should be 1/8”-1/4” higher than the front tip. Do you know if there is a different setting for you downunder? I’ve never heard of it the way you described it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Decks higher at the front, not the blades set to heel
All of the local mowers have the front of the deck cut away
Some have bolt in plates some have cast steps
Very handy for rough cutting

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Must be something where you are or the type of grass you’re cutting. Even checked a couple of manuals and all said back tip higher than front.

bkeller500

Threads
I have read more then one owners manual, to have the front blade tips lower than the back to prevent double cutting. Even so.....to have the blade tips exposed just sounds very dangerous and likely a big liability issue. it's hard to believe that a manufacturer that installed a ROI switch for liability and safety issues would then allow the blade tips to be exposed. My JD X590 deck covers all 3 blades with the only exposure to the blade tips is at the discharge chute if you lift or remove the chute. I would recheck with JD or where ever you bought the tractor for the correct answers.

Jlplawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay after consulting with a local John Deere dealer, there is something wrong with the deck and rather than go thru trying to get it repaired through lowes (where I bought it) I am just returning the mower. Thanks for the help, everyone