Dana 4550-1 tranaxle

ezrollin

Threads
I have an older Craftsman riding mower that has a Dana / Foote 4550-1 transaxle.I noticed it was getting hard to shift into gear and after letting it sit for a week or so it wouldn't shift at all.After determining the problem was in the transaxle I removed and opened it for inspection.Everything appeared to be in good shape except that the grease needed to be refreshed.The shift assy. had developed some corrosion and wouldn't rotate in the aluminum case.I applied a little heat to ex span the case and removed the shifter assy;after buffing I re-installed it and it rotated freely.I reassembled the case only to discover the shifter would no longer move.I've tried installing it with the shifter assy. rotated to a couple of different positions to no avail.I tried backing off the detent ball / spring screws but it didn't help,anyone familiar with this transaxle ? It is used in many small riding mowers of different brands.

noma

Threads
Hi Ezrollin

Is this tranaxle a three speed and reverse from a older 70's craptsman , i just throw one of those in the iron pile if that helps any? Welcome aboard to LMF. I'm not to filmare with that tranaxle sorry:licking::licking::licking:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have had those apart before and if the shifter moves freely in the case when apart I would look very closely to the shift pins that are attached to the shift collar. Maybe a little corrosion in is causing it hang up or one of the pins is broke.

ezrollin

Threads
The transaxle is a 5 speed w/ reverse.You may be on to something with the shift collar although I see no pins in the diagram there are two clutch keys that go through the shift collar and lay in the shaft drive.I did consider this as a possible source of the problem and will pull it for farther inspection, thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the shift keys is what I was referring to.

ezrollin

Threads
the shift keys is what I was referring to.

Thanks,yes I took quick look at it this morning but didn't have time to work on it.To my embarrassment it appears I wasn't lining the shift assy up with the collar. I will get on it tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

benski

Threads
Given your climate I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of corrosion an that assembly.:wink:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have alot of experience with these.....first is get all the bad grease out and clean or replaces corroded parts....the shifter is damn tricky...it needs to align in the pivots of both cases and the shifter arms have to engage on both sides all at the same time....ive had it take 20 tries to get it right...if the balls an springs are removable...then do that and install after th e case is bolted up...they like to jump out right when its about to go together:smile: :thumbsup:

ezrollin

Threads
OK,finally got around to finishing the the trans axle assembly,had to buy a new drive pulley because the key way was worn,also added a new blade.Did a trial cut this morning and things worked great but still have some maintenance adjustments to make.Sears did not even have this model 502.258170 in their computer but after some searching I found that model 502.255020 is the same mower and used it to order my parts and download an owners manual should anyone need one.Thanks,for the input,especially ilengine who point me in the right direction.