D105 engine keeps dying

steptoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
My D105 mower has been running great but lately it started dying after about 15 minutes of operation. Wait about 15 minutes and it starts back up. Then after a few minutes it dies again. Mower is about 10 years old so anything could create this problem. I thought it was overheating as the local temperature is 100+ degrees. I removed the hood completely and it didn't help. Still dies. Carburetor is starving for fuel as just a small trickle is coming from tank. Checked operation of pump and discovered it was cracked and not working. Installed a new pump and but not getting enough fuel from the tank. Blew out all lines from the tank to pump and on to the carburetor. Also drilled out the fuel cap as it is supposed to be vented and I was told they get stopped up. One of those procedures fixed the problem. Plenty of fuel supply now. It runs great again. Hope this helps someone who is having a similar problem with their fuel delivery.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time this happens immediately check for spark. Sounds like you may be losing spark due to a hot short or hot open condition.

steptoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivits for the info. The spark was the first thing I had checked, then fuel. You know you need 3 things for the engine to run. Air, Fuel, Spark

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, I think I’ve been around the block a few times to know that. Posted that because most people think that the unit was running and have no idea what a hot open or short is or can cause.

TiIngot

Threads
Thanks again.
I know this is a late response, but my vote goes to the plugged vent hole in the gas cap. They run about 15 minutes with a plugged hole in the gas cap then the vacuum pressure increases greater that the fuel pump can handle starving the carburetor.