Export thread

custom exhast for a 11hp B&S I/C

sean'sengines

sean'sengines

Hey guys, I'm getting a Toro 11/42 (per my other thread) in a couple days, and I want to use it for my business, but I want to run a straight pipe off of the engine out the back under the whole frame, and then put an exhaust pipe on the very end to quiet it down a bit. How much pipe will I need and how do I do it? Can I just get a whole bunch of that pipe from Lowe's or Home Depot and take pipe tape and screw them together, and then just thread a standard small exhaust pipe to a B&S engine on the end?

If anyone has pics of them doing it, or a diagram and a est. $$ amount, it would be most appreciated!! :)

BKBrown

BKBrown

Check out something like this Tru-Flex Metal Hose LLC.

You don't want to restrict the exhaust too much or you will get back pressure and cause problems - make sure you have large enough diameter to allow a good flow.

Let us know how it goes !

sean'sengines

sean'sengines

I was going to go with stock diameter, whatever it is, (7/8 or 1 inch or something like that) out of the block, and then just screw in pipe with elbows and run it out the back. The only problem I can think of is how to support it, just get like pipe hangers and screw them into the frame maybe? Anyone else done this and have pics or a video of the finished project?

BKBrown

BKBrown

Just remember - elbows are not as easy as straight pipe for exhaust gas - I'd go for a larger diameter to help the flow and reduce back pressure.

sean'sengines

sean'sengines

How would I get a bigger diameter? Can I get a 1" to a bigger diameter adapter?

BKBrown

BKBrown

Yes - there are "reducers and adapters"

I'd come out your engine exhaust port and step up to something that will fit inside this http://www.jcwhitney.com/flexible-exhaust-tubing/p2006251.jcwx?skuId=174739&filterid=j1 & use hose clamps then find a muffler that goes in the other end. This is designed for exhaust and will allow easy flow - you can bend it and clamp it in place with hose clamps.

sean'sengines

sean'sengines

that actually sounds pretty good. I think I might try that!!! I can probably get an alternative similar to that at Lowe's or my local hardware store right?

BKBrown

BKBrown

More likely to find at auto parts (if they don't stock it you could ask) or someplace like ACE or True Value Hardware - maybe small engine place or mower/tractor dealer. JC Whitney is good to deal with, but If you can get it locally that would be good.

Keep us informed !

sean'sengines

sean'sengines

Ok, I have a CarQuest, AutoZone, VIP, and NAPA in my town, and I have Home Depot, Lowe's, EBS, TrueValue and ACE Hardware as well, so I can find it locally I'm sure.

I'll keep you all informed, picking up the Toro this afternoon most likely.