Export thread

Cub turning problems

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

2010 LTX 1040:

First mowing this season today, i noticed whenever i turn right or left, the mower slowly slows down. The engine doesn't and the blades spin at normal speed, but the movement of the mower slows down to almost a stop, Then i straighten the wheels out and start heading straight and it goes fairly slow, never gets back up to regular speed. So i have let off the pedal and then push it down again and that gets it going normal.:confused2:
Keep in mind the ENGINE is not slowing down. New drive belt Feb 2017
:confused2:
Oh, on another note, that got me thinking about transmission. As far as i know the fluid has never been changed. I looked in the manual but it shows nothing about changing the trans fluid.:wink:

Boobala

Boobala

2010 LTX 1040:

First mowing this season today, i noticed whenever i turn right or left, the mower slowly slows down. The engine doesn't and the blades spin at normal speed, but the movement of the mower slows down to almost a stop, Then i straighten the wheels out and start heading straight and it goes fairly slow, never gets back up to regular speed. So i have let off the pedal and then push it down again and that gets it going normal.:confused2:
Keep in mind the ENGINE is not slowing down. New drive belt Feb 2017
Oh, on another note, that got me thinking about transmission. As far as i know the fluid has never been changed. I looked in the manual but it shows nothing about changing the trans fluid.:wink:

Possibly the brakes are dragging ??

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well it doesn't really have brakes...

dfbroxy

dfbroxy

Check the drive belt, maybe it sliped off the tension pully.

BlazNT

BlazNT

You should know by now we need your model number.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Check the drive belt, maybe it sliped off the tension pully.

That's what i was thinking.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Model# 13WX90AS009

BlazNT

BlazNT

You have a CVT trans. Did you change 2 belts and check to see if the pullies are moving like they should?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

It only has 1 drive belt. And when i changed the belt last year everything seemed to be in working order.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Look at this review i saw, posted 5 months ago: BEWARE. TO LONG FOR A LTX 1040.
DOES NOT FIT 1999 and NEWER ! SLIPS AND WILL NOT PULL INCLINES. RESULTING IN BELT DAMAGE.

And yesterday i was going up a small incline that the mower never had problems going up, it had trouble pulling itself up. I don't think i've gained that much weight! :laughing:

B

bertsmobile1

It only has 1 drive belt. And when i changed the belt last year everything seemed to be in working order.

It has 2 belts and they must be changed as a set.
If not the numbers you gave were wrong.
The second belt is accessed from under the battery box.
The other reason they go slow is because the sliding sheave part # 76 in the diagram is not sliding
https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/ltx1040-13ax90as056-13wx90as009-13wx90as010-13wx90as056-13wx90as256-13ax90as010-13ax90as256-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2014/drive-system/

Boobala

Boobala

Well it doesn't really have brakes...

Whether it is a dragging brake or NOT, you have a disc brake, on the left side of the transaxle activated by P/N 40 in the diagram.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub...256-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2014/drive-system/

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

It has 2 belts and they must be changed as a set.
If not the numbers you gave were wrong.
The second belt is accessed from under the battery box.
The other reason they go slow is because the sliding sheave part # 76 in the diagram is not sliding
https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/ltx1040-13ax90as056-13wx90as009-13wx90as010-13wx90as056-13wx90as256-13ax90as010-13ax90as256-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2014/drive-system/

OOOH!! I never have seen the trans drive belt, I just replace the one from the crankshaft.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Whether it is a dragging brake or NOT, you have a disc brake, on the left side of the transaxle activated by P/N 40 in the diagram.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub...256-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2014/drive-system/

Phh, i didn't even know that. :confused2:

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

But if it where a brake dragging, wouldn't it do it while im not turning too?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Bert, could you explain how PN 76 works?? :)

B

bertsmobile1

Bert, could you explain how PN 76 works?? :)

It is called a sliding sheave, if you google it you should find some cleaver illustrations & animations showing how they work.

Visualise 2 pressed metal V pulleys.
Each pulley is two dish shapes welded or riveted together to form an internal V
Split them apart to make 4 discs weld the top of one to a tube weld the bottom of one to the top of another, drill out the center and put a bush in there that slides over the tube,
Weld the bottom to the other end of the tube.
So now you have a double pulley where the centre can go up or down.
So all the way down, the top pulley has a small running diameter and the bottom is large.
All the way up the opposite happens, smack in the middle they are the same size.

Now how you control where the sliding bit will be varies, as there are patients & royalties to be avoided.

The shape of the belts used on these is also different to a std V belt they are usually wider , shallower and have a smaller V angle.

B

bertsmobile1

But if it where a brake dragging, wouldn't it do it while im not turning too?

Because the brake is on the layshaft not the mainshaft.
As such it locks the diff so one wheel can not turn faster than the other.
Thus when you corner one wheel has to skid.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Because the brake is on the layshaft not the mainshaft.
As such it locks the diff so one wheel can not turn faster than the other.
Thus when you corner one wheel has to skid.

Thanks for 'splaining it bert!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Okay, looked at the belts today, the drive belt is ate up, and the trans belt looks ok, BUT, i noticed whenever you turn the mower,
iplimage.php

The transmission belt slips around PN 47 pulley. and once it does that, the mower slowly halts to a stop.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Time to check all the mounting points on the rear end. One or two may be broken or loose.

BlazNT

BlazNT

By the way, you get the weirdest problems.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

By the way, you get the weirdest problems.[/QUOTE

That's my whole life right there!

B

bertsmobile1

Okay, looked at the belts today, the drive belt is ate up, and the trans belt looks ok, BUT, i noticed whenever you turn the mower,
iplimage.php

The transmission belt slips around PN 47 pulley. and once it does that, the mower slowly halts to a stop.

Remove the upper belt and check that the pulley # 47 can in fact turn and it is not frozen on the bearing (very common ).
Are you sure the brake is free and the wheels can turn ?
Check by removing the top belt ( which is stuffed in any case ) and turn the tranny pulley.
Both wheels should turn in the same direction if it is in gear.
Double check the spring tensioning pulley # 47 it should be very strong.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thanks Bert, I'll do that. I went ahead and ordered both belts, The belt on trans has as far as i know NEVER been replaced.

B

bertsmobile1

Wanna know how many people swear that their mower only had 1 belt & I have overcharged them when I billed them for 3 ?
I even had an ex-customer who double checked by ordering a full belt kit from my competitor and then tripple checked by doing the same from a branded dealer before he would pay me.
Then he claimed I has used inferiour belts cause they were 2/3 the price of the local guy and 1/3 the price from the branded dealer so he wanted a warranty on the belts.
I replied that he would get a new mower warranty on belts- none but if he did not like what I installed I would fit whatever he gave me for free if they break.
So when he finally picked up the mower I told him to go & don't come back .
And believe it or not he has tried to book his morew in twice for a service since then.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

250? :biggrin:

C

cruzenmike

Could the issue of slowing down actually be a steering problem? Drag on the front wheels from bad bushings could slow you down. With the !owner being that old, it is likely that they are worn and should be replaced. If you can jack up the front end and see how much play there is on the front axles.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Didnt think about that. I'll check it.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Ok, got the new belts on...
AND IT TURNS NOW! it turns without slowing down!! :cool2::cool2::banana:
BUT, in the front right wheel, and the bushing is pretty wore out.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

https://www.cubcadetpartsnmore.com/...10)/Steering_Assembly/76905791-A/769057910020

looking at this diagram i don't see a replacement bushing. :anyone

NEVERMIND you have to look in the "wheels" not "steering" :confused2: