Cub Cadet XT2/Kohler 7000 Series WILL NOT START

ViennaSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have replaced the battery, starter, solenoid, regulator and Hour Meter Service Minder Module. This is the most stubborn problem I have ever had. This thing just will not start. Engine has only 38 hours. Battery has 12.4 volts, but that ain't enough to turn it over. I can jump it with my truck which provides 14 volts. At one point (before I replaced the regulator), my truck provided enough voltage to turn it over and start, but the engine died the moment I removed the jumper cables. So I replaced the regulator. Things got worse. The solenoid engages the starter and the engine turns a bit, but does not turn complete rotations enough to start.

Why is 14 volts not enough to spin the motor?

I'm truly at a loss as to where to go from here; I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you checked the valve clearances?

ViennaSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the valve clearances?
Well, no. My thinking is this is an electrical problem. The engine freely moves so I believe it's intact mechanically. Something is not allowing enough voltage to the starter to turn the engine even a single rotation. I managed to get it started and running for about a minute and it ran/sounded fine, but died the instant I removed the jumper cables. By this time, I had replaced starter, solenoid and battery so I figured it was the regulator.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, no. My thinking is this is an electrical problem. The engine freely moves so I believe it's intact mechanically. Something is not allowing enough voltage to the starter to turn the engine even a single rotation. I managed to get it started and running for about a minute and it ran/sounded fine, but died the instant I removed the jumper cables. By this time, I had replaced starter, solenoid and battery so I figured it was the regulator.
This problem comes through my gate at least once a month
I used to adjust the valves while the mower was still on the customers trailer, takes 15 minutes and charge them $ 30 or $ 45 if the gasket needed replacing.
About 1 in 10 said thank you and asked for proper service instructions the other 9 became abusive because apparently I made them feel like a fool for spending up $ 500 on a problem that was just a simple adjustment.
Of those about half call me a thief & argue about mu fee because I have charged them for 1/2 hour & only took 10 to 15 minutes to do the job.
So now days I take the mower in , do a full lube , adjust everything , clean everything charge $ 200 to $ 300 and they leave with a big smile on their face.

The other thing that makes it hard to start in the mannar you describe is rotted through power cables as they often corrode inside where you can not see them .

Dealers are supposed to check the valve lash as part of the predelivery service but as engines have been getter better build quality a lot do not seem to bother any more .
I have had several mowers come in with less than a seasons worth of mowing with a dropped push rod and the customer describes problems similar to you but not as severe which indicate the valve lash was off before the customer took delivery .