Export thread

Cub Cadet LTX1050. Help!

J

JonnyBlaze

So I just purchased a used 2012 Cub and just did a tune up on it and decided to try it out and the damn thing is tearing up my grass! The deck is in the absolute highest position. I dont get it. Please help!

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

Left deck hangar came loose. bent blade, bent spindle shaft, bent deck, low tire on left side.

J

JonnyBlaze

Left deck hangar came loose. bent blade, bent spindle shaft, bent deck, low tire on left side.
I just put it up in the air and looked at blades. They appear to be bent. Guess I should do all blades and spindles or just blades?

Attachments

J

JonnyBlaze

Attachments

J

JonnyBlaze

New blades are on. I hope i installed them the correct side facing down. Heres how I have them. It cuts great now but I think there's a problem. Every few seconds I can here metal hitting metal. Only when the blades are on. Like Im hitting rocks with the blades but Im not. Any suggestions?

Attachments

J

JonnyBlaze

Removed deck. See pics.

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

New blades are on. I hope i installed them the correct side facing down. Heres how I have them. It cuts great now but I think there's a problem. Every few seconds I can here metal hitting metal. Only when the blades are on. Like Im hitting rocks with the blades but Im not. Any suggestions?

Pull the deck off and have a look for shinny spots, that is where the blades are hitting.
Could be hitting each other or the deck or both.
Grab the ends of each blade and try to rock them see saw style.
If you can then the spindle bearings have gone.
Running with a bent blade will very often wreck a bearing .
back in the old days when mowers were a reasonable price spindles had tapered rollers like they should.
Now days nearly all have deep grove balls which is a poor substitute.

J

JonnyBlaze

I have the deck off now. See above pics. One spindle looks like the deck was repaired at some point.

I dont see any shiney spots. The blades however are almost even with the bottom of the deck. Is it supposed to be like that? Shoulda got oem blades. :(

The outer 2 spindles have a tiny bit of play and the middle is nice and tight.

Attachments

J

JonnyBlaze

I ordered 3 new Stens spindles with pulleys and the deck repair rings with bolts. Can someone please tell me if I have the blades installed correctly and that they are supposed to be even with the bottom of the deck like they are now as shown in pics on my last post? I have the deck all the way up and the grass is cutting really short.

J

JonnyBlaze

Also have a problem with the brake sticking. Anyone tell me what I need to lube or adjust?

I

ILENGINE

Blades are installed correctly. The deck around that one spindle has been repaired or reinforced at some time. the blade in one of your pictures is hitting something as shown by the shiny dented area. Also the picture of the complete under side of the deck at the discharge. That piece of metal is part of the deck support bracket. It is supposed to go across the entire discharge area of the deck to prevent flexing. If the blade with the deck is also the blade on the repaired spindle, then I suspect the blade is hitting what is left of the discharge support plate.

Also the deck skirt at the center blade looks like it is pushed upward. Could also be a place for the blade to hit since there is normally not a lot of clearance.

J

JonnyBlaze

Blades are installed correctly. The deck around that one spindle has been repaired or reinforced at some time. the blade in one of your pictures is hitting something as shown by the shiny dented area. Also the picture of the complete under side of the deck at the discharge. That piece of metal is part of the deck support bracket. It is supposed to go across the entire discharge area of the deck to prevent flexing. If the blade with the deck is also the blade on the repaired spindle, then I suspect the blade is hitting what is left of the discharge support plate.

Also the deck skirt at the center blade looks like it is pushed upward. Could also be a place for the blade to hit since there is normally not a lot of clearance.
Ok. I just ordered this and in case I didn't mention it, I ordered new reinforcement rings when I ordered the spindles. Also, I think I may as well replace the two idler pulleys as well. Then the deck should be good to go. (knock on wood.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151800197717?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

P

Pumper54

As ILengine said the one blade is hitting something under there. Turn each blade by hand and look and feel when it hits something, bet it is over by the discharge opening where the reinforcement is. Your best bet to is to spend the money on an owner's manual or a shot manual for the mower as it will be money well spent.
Tom

J

JonnyBlaze

The blade with the shiny spot IS the one next to discharge chute. When I spun it, I didnt see it hitting anything but noticed the spindle shaft was bent as it was wobbly when spinning. So I think with a combination of that and deck flexing? that it may be hitting whats left of that finger guard.

B

bertsmobile1

Yep, that will do it.
As the others have said that guard needs to be repaired.
The usual way is to cut it off & weld about 4' of 1/2" reo bar in the gully where it turns up then around the discharge chute and into the gutter on the other side.
If the opening does not have a support at the bottom, every second time you hit a root, fence post, gutter etc the front of the deck will push in backwards and hit the blades again.
I have seen decks with a foot of the front missing where the blade has just cut it right through.

J

JonnyBlaze

All done and fixed!

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments