Cub Cadet GT2550 PTO switch wired backwards? problem

Stuberts

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet GT2550 PTO switch wired backwards? problem
My new to me, used GT2550 has me puzzled. I can start the engine with the PTO in the off position, but the blades start turning when it cranks up. I can pull the PTO switch to the ON position, but the blades stop turning. It's like the PTO clutch is wired backwards. The wiring connectors are one-way and cannot be turned around. I was wondering if someone in the past had changed some wires in the connectors. HELP!??

Lawnranger

Threads
Disconnect the electrical connector to the PTO and try again. What are the results?

Stuberts

Forum Newbie
Threads
This machine is at another location. I be able to check it out tonight or tomorrow. So I just need to unplug the connector AT the Clutch or at the PTO Switch?

Lawnranger

Threads
The clutch has what's called a "pigtail" coming off it which is usually 6"-10" long with a plastic connector. Unplug the connector and test again. Post the results and we'll go from there.

Stuberts

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK. Unplugged the connector that is about 6-10" from clutch. Blades didn't engage when started mower. Switch was pushed in in the "Disengage" position, pulled out PTO switch and nothing happened with the blades. Plugged the clutch back in and went through the process to start. Pushed in the PTO to disengaged position, turned the key and it started up WITH the blades going. Pulled out the PTO switch and blades stopped. I pulled out the relay and the PTO switch and brought them to the house with me. I can run some OHM, continuity or whatever tests need to be run on them, I just need some guidance.
Thanks

Lawnranger

Threads
Good job! Now we have something to go on as it appears to be electrical instead of mechanical. The next step I would perform would be to measure voltage at the connector you disconnected with the key off, key on engine off, key on engine running. You will need to have the PTO switch in the off position and make the three checks then put the PTO switch in the on position and repeat the checks. Perform the checks and report back with the voltage readings. This may take some time but I'll stay with you and help as much as I can.

Please exercise extreme caution as you will be sitting/standing next to a lawnmower with the blades turning. Set parking brake and lower deck all the way down.

Has anyone done anything to the mower to cause this problem that you are aware of? Any work at all performed by anyone else?