Export thread

Cub cadet 1040 ltx

AirborneVet

AirborneVet

I have a Cub Cadet 1040 LTX with a 19 hp Kohler engine. 4 weeks ago I was mowing my lawn. The machine was running fine. As soon as I was finished it began sputtering, chokking, and backfiring. Then died. Since then I have had no luck in finding the problem. I changed the fuel filter, oil filter (including oil change), air filter, and spark plug. I have cleaned the carburetor and siphoned out the old gas, replaced it with fresh gas, and added fuel treatment. The mower is still chocking, sputtering and dieing. I have no idea what the problem is. I have posted this before with no replies. Posting again in hopes that someone can help me. Thanks

M

motoman

Hi Vet, You have shotgunned which is ok sometimes. On this forum the Pros (not me ) like to see a systematic approach and always need a model, year. Also there is a wealth of knowledge if you use the search button after trying different combinations of words associated with your problem. After you do this I bet people will chime in.

B

bertsmobile1

I have a Cub Cadet 1040 LTX with a 19 hp Kohler engine. 4 weeks ago I was mowing my lawn. The machine was running fine. As soon as I was finished it began sputtering, chokking, and backfiring. Then died. Since then I have had no luck in finding the problem. I changed the fuel filter, oil filter (including oil change), air filter, and spark plug. I have cleaned the carburetor and siphoned out the old gas, replaced it with fresh gas, and added fuel treatment. The mower is still chocking, sputtering and dieing. I have no idea what the problem is. I have posted this before with no replies. Posting again in hopes that someone can help me. Thanks

:welcome:
I browse using the "posts since last visit" function others use emails to their smart phones.
If it goes a week without reply then reply yourself with the anyone emojie, hidden in the "more" section
:anyone:
This bumps the post back into the new posts section so it gets picked up as unanswered.

B

bertsmobile1

If the mower pops and backfires through the carb but continues to run, usually at a low power level then either then valve timing is out or the ignition timing is out.
So pull off the blower housing and the flywheel bolt and check that the 2 halves of the flywheel key slot are making a full square ( key is not broken )
While the housing is off disconnect the kill wire to the coil and start the engine.
Problem goes away = wiring fault, kill wire is grounding somewhere.

No joy on either count then pull the rocker cover off and spark plug out.
Check that when at TDC on firing stroke , both valves are closed ( inlet will have just closed ) and the ends of the valves are at the same height from the floor of the head
Heads overheat and can grab a valve so it does not close properly, the inlet seat can drop out so again it does not close properly or the screws holding the choke/ throttle butterfly can fall out & get stuck under the inlet holding it open just a touch.
Let us know what you find.
Pictures are really welcome