Crepe Myrtle Root Off shoots

jrc1

Threads
My question is " How do I kill the off shoot plants that are coming from my crepe myrtle roots in my flower bed ? I've tried cutting them off time after time but they keep coming back. I've had the crepe myrtle for a few years and it's never been this bad. Is there any thing I can do other than pulling the crepe myrtle up to stop this ? Any advice would be appreciated.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
My question is " How do I kill the off shoot plants that are coming from my crepe myrtle roots in my flower bed ? I've tried cutting them off time after time but they keep coming back. I've had the crepe myrtle for a few years and it's never been this bad. Is there any thing I can do other than pulling the crepe myrtle up to stop this ? Any advice would be appreciated.
We take them off with a weedeater immediately.

Try mulching over them after you remove them too. That works sometimes.

jrc1

Threads
We take them off with a weedeater immediately.

Try mulching over them after you remove them too. That works sometimes.

Thanks for the reply. It is funny that they didn't start coming up everywhere till after I removed the dirt and mulch from on top of them. We are redoing our flower beds now and wanted to put new flower bed dirt in them and then that rubberized mulch to keep from getting termites. I will weed eat them down and then cover the bed back up and hope that takes care of it. Thanks again for your response.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We deal with a lot of them. First off take them off as close to the trunk as possible. If they have been allowed to grow to a size as big as your finger or bigger we actually many times shave the trunk smooth with a chainsaw.

Covering them with mulch or straw will deter them greatly.