Crank case crack

jono252525

Threads
I just found that my Briggs Stratton 11 hp engine has a broken connecting rod and made a Crack in the casing.
I found that there is a low temperature aluminum welding rod that is available for repairing that crack.
Did anybody try to fix this before and if so, did it last ?
See picture:
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    751.7 KB · Views: 6

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have tried those rods. One major problem. The aluminum will be heavy oxizided which a lot heat to break though. The problem is it take 3X the heat to melt the oxisided aluminum than the unoxizided aluminum so everything falls away leaving even bigger mess. I went though a whole pack of these rods and never got the aluminum welded. Take the block to a welding shop and have them TIG weld it.

Tbone0106

Threads
These motors are a dime a dozen. I would not waste my time trying to patch up a broken crankcase.

It's worth stating that the connecting rod broke in the first place because you failed to maintain the proper oil level.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What Star said & what Tbone said is worth considering as well .
The low temp rods are actually solder not a weld
The surface has to be very clean for them to work and usually you need to put a molten pool on the surface then mechanically scratch through the aluminium oxide so the molten liquid can lift it off the surface .
Then the problem is to get the stuff to stay there till it solidifies an not slump into the engine .
OTOH as mentioned in a previous post Devcon Aluminium putty or POR 15 putty will both do a good enough job to seal the hole if applied from the inside.
You need to check the inside carefully for cracking as where the case is bent out on the outside there is usually a crack on the inside that will simply break off in use .

If you go the putty route follow the instructions to the letter and they will work.
Failing to do the full & proper preparation will result is a patch that leaks or falls out .
I have even seen a mower with a beer can patch over a blow out hole siliconed sealed & held in with 6 self tappers .

jono252525

Threads
So I think that since the generator was given to me, I will follow TBone recommendation and I will replace the engine I would like to know where to find a engine that will fit with the frame and the shaft end with the generator rotor.
The unit is a Craftman model 6300 watts 580-3263-11 and the engine is Briggs Stratton Model: 210415 11 HP Type 0137E1 Code: 060222YD