Export thread

Craftsman Model 917288520 CRAFTSMAN TRACTOR Opinion

C

cobra390t

Been in the market looking for good reliable mower, Saw a local post for YT3000 Model 917288520 CRAFTSMAN TRACTOR that powered by B&S 21 XRD 21HP , seller seems to take a good care of it , no rust , good tires, seat is pretty good . He said it starts /run but might need a carb cleaning Or Carb replacement ( which is no big deal ) i can rebuild about any thing.

I was set on 2 brands in mind either Husqvyrna or cub cadet suit neither one of them seem to appear in my price range.

What is the good , Bad and ugly about this model as i can find much reviews

BlazNT

BlazNT

917 in craftsman model number means it is a Husqvarna.

D

Darryl G

I'd make sure price reflects that it may be a more serious issue than carb.

C

cobra390t

I'd make sure price reflects that it may be a more serious issue than carb.

The original asking price was $600 but they would let it go for $500, What other known issue with particular model. What other serious issues you are referring to.

Tractor.jpg

C

cobra390t

917 in craftsman model number means it is a Husqvarna.

Very interesting information, but how is that possible. I know for example more than one brand use the same Eng like ( B&S or Kohler engine ). MTD makes Some other branded Box store mowers , So in this case Husqvarna makes this one ? I am learning something new every day

BlazNT

BlazNT

Craftsman does not make anything. They just rebrand with their name on it.

C

cobra390t

Craftsman does not make anything. They just rebrand with their name on it.

I 100% agree as they no longer make any thing ,Well in that case this mower might be worth a look ?

D

Darryl G

The original asking price was $600 but they would let it go for $500, What other known issue with particular model. What other serious issues you are referring to.

View attachment 36165

Could be a number of issues with the engine or transmission, as with any other mower. People usually sell things for a reason and are not necessarily forthcoming about it. Is that a newspaper with dark staining on it under the mower? Just saying you could be buying someone else's headache.

C

cobra390t

Could be a number of issues with the engine or transmission, as with any other mower. People usually sell things for a reason and are not necessarily forthcoming about it. Is that a newspaper with dark staining on it under the mower? Just saying you could be buying someone else's headache.

WELL you are absolutely right,It Turns out that i ran into another scum bag wanted to offload his junk on me. After few more though i asked more & More Q about why the mower would need a Carb replacement or Repair if its running. He said the Mower WAS running , so obviously its currently Not running but he advertising it as its running. I am not going to waist my time obviously as i could be waiting my time , money and effort .

Will keep looking .

D

Darryl G

Don't know if you've seen this post. Some excellent advice in it. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/17772-Things-to-look-for-when-buying-a-used-mower

W

waltn

I watch this site frequently but usually have nothing to add. I seen Cobra's question and I have the exactly same Craftsman. It's a 2011, no hour meter.
I got this for nothing. The owner said it was blown up. Had a blown head gasket, easy fix. Used it now for 2 seasons with no problems. I also have a 2009
Cub Cadet SLTX1054 bought new. Only replaced the 2 belts and 1 belt idler pulley.This 54" deck only works good with very dry grass, builds up with damp
grass. This also steers hard. The Craftsman works well with damp grass and steers very easy. Just my 2 cents. Walt

If you run across another craftsman 917 see if the Transaxle is a Dana 6 speed, I had one in my former 917 that was crap & not even a year old & the parts were obsolete.
I bought it new & thought having a Dana 6 speed was a good thing. NOT, they are made in china, had to swap it over to a Peerless that worked very well.

C

cobra390t

I wouldn't mind to consider the deal and keep all your suggestions in mind if the guy was trustworthy to disclose it was not running when i initially inquired about their post. However there is more mowers out there belong to much honest people

R

ramco

Been in the market looking for good reliable mower, Saw a local post for YT3000 Model 917288520 CRAFTSMAN TRACTOR that powered by B&S 21 XRD 21HP , seller seems to take a good care of it , no rust , good tires, seat is pretty good . He said it starts /run but might need a carb cleaning Or Carb replacement ( which is no big deal ) i can rebuild about any thing.

I was set on 2 brands in mind either Husqvyrna or cub cadet suit neither one of them seem to appear in my price range.

What is the good , Bad and ugly about this model as i can find much reviews
I HAVE HAD MINE FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS IT RUNS AND MOWS GREAT ONLY THING WAS I REPLACED THE MOTOR LAST YEAR BECAUSE THE OLD ONE WAS LEAKING MORE OIL THAN IT WAS WORTH. AND I JUST REPLACED THE PULLYS AND SPINDAILS THIS YEAR I HOPE TO GET ANOTHER 10 YEARS OUT OF IT

S

slomo

Non running mowers go from 25-50 bucks.

Runners more towards the asking price.

S

slomo

I HAVE HAD MINE FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS IT RUNS AND MOWS GREAT ONLY THING WAS I REPLACED THE MOTOR LAST YEAR BECAUSE THE OLD ONE WAS LEAKING MORE OIL THAN IT WAS WORTH. AND I JUST REPLACED THE PULLYS AND SPINDAILS THIS YEAR I HOPE TO GET ANOTHER 10 YEARS OUT OF IT
THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW.

YEAH.......