Craftsman DYT4000 18.5 HP

Bellluke

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok hope someone can help here you go, I was cutting grass my mower back fired cut off I tried starting it and it would only turn over. So me friend told me to adjust the vales I did this and it started right up ran on choke but as soon as I pulled it off choke it cuts off.

gainestruk

Threads
First it would help us a lot if you would tell us what we are working on, give us all numbers off engine please.

Bellluke

Forum Newbie
Threads
sorry its a Briggs & Stratton 917.273643

gainestruk

Threads
I looked at Sears and found its a 031P77-0348-E1, look on top of valve cover and see if that's right, how old is mower,
Do you keep fresh fuel in it, my first thought is you have a clogged up carburater, it will need to be removed and cleaned, what did you set valves at and did you turn engine 1/4 inch past top dead center ?

BTW I'll be gone in 30 min. I have a brother in hospital so hopefully someone will jump in here and help.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Bellluke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank's Mike first off Prayers for your brother
Here are the numbers
Model Code
31P7770348 E1 040422ZA
Craftsman 18.5 HP OHV INTEK Plus

Lawnranger

Threads
Gainestruk is on the right path. You need to make sure fuel is getting to the carburetor and then through the carburetor. Since I don't know your level of ability I won't spend a lot of time telling you how to do this unless you don't know and you ask for specific instructions.

You said it only runs on choke but when off choke it dies. Most likely a partial restriction in the carburetor but we won't know until you open it.

Mike, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your brother.